ISU and CC

ILgunguy

I have a meeting coming up in a couple of weeks at ISU. I will admit that I haven't kept up on CC on college campuses in IL. My main question is whether or not "safe harbor" still applies. Can I lock it up in the car in a parking lot on university property, or does anyone know if ISU has specific rules against that?

Thanks!

For future reference, colleges and universities are #23 on the list of 23 prohibited places. In addition, #22 (nuclear facilities) and #23 (colleges and universities) can prohibit (if they choose) firearm storage in their parking lots, as well.

Colleges fall under Sec. 65. Prohibited areas (a)(15) and nowhere in the law does it state they can prohibit in vehicle carry or parking lot storage.

For future reference, colleges and universities are #23 on the list of 23 prohibited places. In addition, #22 (nuclear facilities) and #23 (colleges and universities) can prohibit (if they choose) firearm storage in their parking lots, as well.

Colleges fall under Sec. 65. Prohibited areas (a)(15) and nowhere in the law does it state they can prohibit in vehicle carry or parking lot storage.

This.

They can designate specific parking lots which allow vehicle storage if they choose, but they cannot outright prohibit it.

(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

So all the places of the 23, except #22 (nuclear facilities) and #23 (colleges and universities), (i.e., #1 through #21) are required to permit firearm storage in their parking lots. That means #22 and #23 are not required to permit firearm storage in their parking lots, nor (in the event they do permit storage in their parking lots) are they required to permit a carrier to exit the vehicle with a loaded firearm to store it in a trunk.

Not required to permit = May prohibit

Paragraph (23) of subsection(a) deals with federal property,not colleges.

Subsection (a-5) paragraph (3) states that a college MAY adopt regulations or policies on the storage of firearms,but IF they do they MUST include designated parking areas for ccl holders.

Subsection (b)states that notwithstanding (a),(a-5) or(a-10),one can still legally vehicle carry or store firearms in parking areas,except in the case of(a)(22) or (a)(23),which are both federal property,

My kid's college doesn't have designated parking areas so I don't have to worry about where to park,but it appears that ISU has adopted some parking rules.

(B) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.So all the places of the 23, except #22 (nuclear facilities) and #23 (colleges and universities), (i.e., #1 through #21) are required to permit firearm storage in their parking lots. That means #22 and #23 are not required to permit firearm storage in their parking lots, nor (in the event they do permit storage in their parking lots) are they required to permit a carrier to exit the vehicle with a loaded firearm to store it in a trunk.Not required to permit = May prohibit
Colleges and universities are #15.

Otherwise, see Redlin's response above.

Bottom line is they cannot prohibit vehicle storage.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI: Nuclear Facilities are no go with a firearm at all on the property. No safe storage. No locking up in the trunk. No firearms, PERIOD. Also, there are no signs anywhere at all, but it’s federal law, not just state, so if you did get caught on property with a firearm, you may be able to skate on state charges, but the Feds won’t be so kind.

Thanks for all the info. I was aware of the law's description of colleges and universities as prohibited places in general. I was looking for specific policy for ISU, which I found later.

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that policy and law are 2 different things. One is enforceable via law enforcement, while the other isn't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FYI: Nuclear Facilities are no go with a firearm at all on the property. No safe storage. No locking up in the trunk. No firearms, PERIOD. Also, there are no signs anywhere at all, but it’s federal law, not just state, so if you did get caught on property with a firearm, you may be able to skate on state charges, but the Feds won’t be so kind.

You are 100% correct. And no guns at all at post offices, military bases and most, if not all, other federal facilities. I find this quite amusing (not in the funny way), that the SCOTUS ruled that states/municipalities can't ban people from possessing guns based on the 2A, but they have no problem with the federal government banning guns in violation of the 2A

You are 100% correct. And no guns at all at post offices, military bases and most, if not all, other federal facilities. I find this quite amusing (not in the funny way), that the SCOTUS ruled that states/municipalities can't ban people from possessing guns based on the 2A, but they have no problem with the federal government banning guns in violation of the 2A

Our government does not trust people with guns.

Notwithstanding a law or regulation prohibiting weapons, not being posted forebodes a conviction. 18 USC 930(h)

^ this ***

Archived