Anyone here CC a Kimber Super Carry Ultra?

ArmedWithKnowledge

Hi,

I'm new to handgun ownership/concealed carry (and honestly, handguns in general), and this past April I purchased a Shield 9mm to use as my edc. I've put a few hundred rounds through it, and while I don't hate the Shield, in the past 7 months I've fired several thousand rounds and tried over a dozen different handguns of various types (striker-fired, da/sa, sao) in multiple calibers (including a derringer in .45 Colt just for ***** and giggles...my hand was sore for a week lol), as well as done extensive research, and after all this I've come to the decision that I do not care for striker-fired handguns.

While looking for a replacement for my Shield, I became interested in the Kimber Super Carry Ultra. I tried out a Kimber Stainless TLE Ultra Carry in .45 ACP the other week (which shares the same basic specs) to get an idea of what the Super would be like, and it brought a grin to my face. And since the Super is more comfortable in my hand and has a better trigger and barrel, I think I would like that model even more. But we're talking about a $1,350 gun so it's not a choice I take lightly.

So all that said, have any of you conceal carried the Super Carry Ultra? If so, did you find the Ultra difficult to conceal? Was it too heavy for long periods? Did you experience any reliability issues, what kind of holster did you use? etc., etc.

Basically, I'd really like to hear your thoughts and experiences regarding the gun. When $1,350 is on the line, information is very important.

Thanks!

I can't speak to the super carry, but I have an Ultra TLE II which is the firearm that I carry and it is by far my favorite carry piece.

At times I will switch up what I carry and it seems like I gravitate back to my Kimber Ultra TLE II.

No problems with reliability. Never had any type of failures with it. The only negative is field stripping it. It has a small pin that has to be inserted into the guide rod to capture the springs.

I carried the Kimber tactical ultra ( seems to have been dropped from the lineup ) for several years. I had a good belt and a good holster and had no problems with it. I traded it last year for an XDs .45 and a Ruger LCP II .

I miss that pistol . As to field stripping it , THE KING told about the little rod you need to use . It is a pain for certain. You can also get an after market piece that hooks on front of the guide rod that lines everything up for a simple take down.

I can't speak to the super carry, but I have an Ultra TLE II which is the firearm that I carry and it is by far my favorite carry piece.

At times I will switch up what I carry and it seems like I gravitate back to my Kimber Ultra TLE II.

No problems with reliability. Never had any type of failures with it. The only negative is field stripping it. It has a small pin that has to be inserted into the guide rod to capture the springs.

The Kimber I tested out was the same model as yours, just with a stainless finish and I definitely liked it. But carrying is of course different than firing and I can't really test that aspect. How is yours for carry comfort? Do you carry IWB? What kind of holster do you find works well? Yeah I read about that pin thing, seems an odd way to field strip, but if it works I'm not concerned. I've got OCD, so I already spend a decent amount of time cleaning so my gun is spotless, so a little extra disassembly time doesn't bother me.

Another option, though smaller than the Kimber (and about half the price) is a Sig P938.

Have a range nearby where you could feel out a few guns?

I actually looked at the P938 initially, but I found the idea of carrying cocked and locked without the added safety feature of a grip safety to be undesirable.

Yep, I'm only about a half hour or so from Gat Guns in West Dundee, so I've been doing my renting there. While there I've also met lots of friendly people who have freely offered to let me try their various guns too.

I carried the Kimber tactical ultra ( seems to have been dropped from the lineup ) for several years. I had a good belt and a good holster and had no problems with it. I traded it last year for an XDs .45 and a Ruger LCP II .

I miss that pistol . As to field stripping it , THE KING told about the little rod you need to use . It is a pain for certain. You can also get an after market piece that hooks on front of the guide rod that lines everything up for a simple take down.

I ordered myself a leather gun belt from Bullhide Belts (they had good reviews) and it seems to be pretty nice. Stiff but not unwieldy. Plus it smells like beef jerky lol. What kind of holster did you use for your ultra?

I ordered myself a leather gun belt from Bullhide Belts (they had good reviews) and it seems to be pretty nice. Stiff but not unwieldy. Plus it smells like beef jerky lol. What kind of holster did you use for your ultra?

I had a High Noon and a couple Don Hume leather holsters.

Don Hume IWB ---> http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=828

Don Hume belt holster ---> http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=44

The High Noon holster was my first and cheapest but did the job. ---> https://www.highnoonholsters.com/leather-holsters/iwb-holsters/lite-duty/bare-asset

I have no Kimbers. I prefer a full sized gun (BHP) or large compact (CZ) over my striker fired Keltec P-11. I really like a good trigger.

Just a couple days ago I began to carry a Sig P 938. Love the reduced weight. Don't mind the cocked a locked thing at all. I fail to see aqnything unsafe about this mode. The trigger is pretty darned nice and will likely smooth out as I fire more rounds.

What I really love is the small size and ease of carry.

I'd love a Kimber but probably not in 45. My new to me Sig 938 weighs 16 oz plus 8 rounds of 9mm. The Kimber clocks in at 25 oz plus 8 rounds of 45, which is heavier than 8 rounds of 9mm. My CZ P-01, which I live to shoot and carry, weighs in at 28 oz plus 15 rounds of 9mm.

What I'm thinking is that I really like having less weight on my hip for a something I will probably never need to use for it's intended purpose as a self defense item. Should I ever need to use it, 8 rounds of 9mm will probably suffice. Considering the comfort factor, I am likely to have it on my hip more frequently. The Kimber Super Ultra Carry would probably do the same at more than twice the cost.

My only pistol in 45 is an AMT Backup 45. It weighs a meager 18 ounces, holds 6+1 and is quite a handfull to fire.

Holster wise, I like the Crossbreed Mini Tuck (938), Aliengear 3.0 and a SHTF holsters for the compact CZs. Aliengear is kinda nice because you can get a few parts and swap them out with other parts for other guns. They also have a new more modular line which does not accommodate guns I have. I will take a hard look at this line when they can accommodate me.

Another option, though smaller than the Kimber (and about half the price) is a Sig P938. Have a range nearby where you could feel out a few guns? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I second that. I picked one up back in April and after I took it to the range I've carried it everyday since. It's light, slim, and the accuracy is good within the distance it would likely be employed in a deffensive scenario. Over 1000 bucks on a carry gun seems kinda steep, especially since it would be confiscated in any sort of DGU incident.

Another option, though smaller than the Kimber (and about half the price) is a Sig P938. Have a range nearby where you could feel out a few guns? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I second that. I picked one up back in April and after I took it to the range I've carried it everyday since. It's light, slim, and the accuracy is good within the distance it would likely be employed in a deffensive scenario. Over 1000 bucks on a carry gun seems kinda steep, especially since it would be confiscated in any sort of DGU incident.

+3 on this I love the little Sig p938 it just disappears under a T shirt when the weather gets cooler it's a Ruger SR1911 L/W 9mm

the Kimber looks like a nice pistol jut a lot of $$$

A good gun belt and holster is a must. I have a belt from beltman with the stiffeners. I carry IWB around 3 to 4:00 position. I also have a variety of holsters but the one I use consistently is the Comptac Minotaur.

To help offset the weight and because I personally believe in carrying spare mags, I carry two mags in a magholder on my weak side outside the waist.

Good luck in your decision.

+3 on this I love the little Sig p938 it just disappears under a T shirt when the weather gets cooler it's a Ruger SR1911 L/W 9mm

You've got no concerns over the lack of a grip safety? Obviously trigger discipline is the ultimate safety, but something about that lack of extra safety feature...Maybe I'll take another look at the Sig, but I think I'd still prefer the added feature of the grip safety. Of course the difference in price is around $600 (if I went with the Sig, it'd be the SAS version) and that's not to be taken lightly.

A good gun belt and holster is a must. I have a belt from beltman with the stiffeners. I carry IWB around 3 to 4:00 position. I also have a variety of holsters but the one I use consistently is the Comptac Minotaur.

To help offset the weight and because I personally believe in carrying spare mags, I carry two mags in a magholder on my weak side outside the waist.

Good luck in your decision.

That's the same range of position that I've found to be ideal for myself. I've heard a lot of good things about the MTAC, it's actually on my short list of possible holsters (I currently have a CYA Supply boltaron holster for the Shield). I've debated carrying a reload. On the one hand nobody has ever said "Gee I wish I hadn't been carrying extra ammo," but on the other hand the odds of me ever having to draw are extremely low, and even lower that I'd have to fire more than a couple of shots (not only am I a decent reflex shooter, but most criminals are cowards looking for an easy score, when victims fight back, they tend to run away). Still, it's something to consider, if only for weight balance.

I want to say thank you to everyone for your responses, I really appreciate all the info and advice you're giving. This is all very new to me and so the more info I can get, the better off I am in regards to making an informed decision. I'm going to continue to check this for more responses, but you guys (and gals where applicable) have already given me some things to think about.

Another option, though smaller than the Kimber (and about half the price) is a Sig P938. Have a range nearby where you could feel out a few guns? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using TapatalkI second that. I picked one up back in April and after I took it to the range I've carried it everyday since. It's light, slim, and the accuracy is good within the distance it would likely be employed in a deffensive scenario. Over 1000 bucks on a carry gun seems kinda steep, especially since it would be confiscated in any sort of DGU incident.+3 on this I love the little Sig p938 it just disappears under a T shirt when the weather gets cooler it's a Ruger SR1911 L/W 9mm

You've got no concerns over the lack of a grip safety? Obviously trigger discipline is the ultimate safety, but something about that lack of extra safety feature...Maybe I'll take another look at the Sig, but I think I'd still prefer the added feature of the grip safety. Of course the difference in price is around $600 (if I went with the Sig, it'd be the SAS version) and that's not to be taken lightly.

I like a grip safety or long trigger pull on a striker fired handgun (XD-S and Kahr CM40 are a couple guns I carry from time to time), but a manual safety works just as well, as long as you ensure it's engaged before reholstering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have no Kimbers. I prefer a full sized gun (BHP) or large compact (CZ) over my striker fired Keltec P-11. I really like a good trigger.

Just a couple days ago I began to carry a Sig P 938. Love the reduced weight. Don't mind the cocked a locked thing at all. I fail to see aqnything unsafe about this mode. The trigger is pretty darned nice and will likely smooth out as I fire more rounds.

I'd love a Kimber but probably not in 45. My new to me Sig 938 weighs 16 oz plus 8 rounds of 9mm. The Kimber clocks in at 25 oz plus 8 rounds of 45, which is heavier than 8 rounds of 9mm. My CZ P-01, which I live to shoot and carry, weighs in at 28 oz plus 15 rounds of 9mm.

What I'm thinking is that I really like having less weight on my hip for a something I will probably never need to use for it's intended purpose as a self defense item. Should I ever need to use it, 8 rounds of 9mm will probably suffice. Considering the comfort factor, I am likely to have it on my hip more frequently. The Kimber Super Ultra Carry would probably do the same at more than twice the cost.

My only pistol in 45 is an AMT Backup 45. It weighs a meager 18 ounces, holds 6+1 and is quite a handfull to fire.

Holster wise, I like the Crossbreed Mini Tuck (938), Aliengear 3.0 and a SHTF holsters for the compact CZs. Aliengear is kinda nice because you can get a few parts and swap them out with other parts for other guns. They also have a new more modular line which does not accommodate guns I have. I will take a hard look at this line when they can accommodate me.

CZ's are great. The first gun I bought was a CZ 75B Compact...ok well technically my first gun was the M&P 9 M2.0, but I hated the aggressive grip texture and it rubbed me raw, so I sold it after only a week and a single 200 round range trip (only lost about $75), so I don't even count it. But the CZ, it's a great gun. The all-steel model I have is too heavy for cc in my opinion, but it's a terrific range gun. I actually just sent it off to CajunGunWorks for some tlc (I was getting some not insignificant trigger slap, and the trigger is a bit too far forward for comfort, so I'm getting the pro package done to turn a good gun into an amazing gun).

I want to say thank you to everyone for your responses, I really appreciate all the info and advice you're giving. This is all very new to me and so the more info I can get, the better off I am in regards to making an informed decision. I'm going to continue to check this for more responses, but you guys (and gals where applicable) have already given me some things to think about.

I just wanted to add that if you go with a 1911 style pistol or any other manual safety pistol , practice , practice , practice sweeping that safety off as you are drawing and lining up your sights on target.

I just wanted to add that if you go with a 1911 style pistol or any other manual safety pistol , practice , practice , practice sweeping that safety off as you are drawing and lining up your sights on target.

If I do, I most definitely will. And with snap caps of course.

CZ's are great. The first gun I bought was a CZ 75B Compact...ok well technically my first gun was the M&P 9 M2.0, but I hated the aggressive grip texture and it rubbed me raw, so I sold it after only a week and a single 200 round range trip (only lost about $75), so I don't even count it. But the CZ, it's a great gun. The all-steel model I have is too heavy for cc in my opinion, but it's a terrific range gun. I actually just sent it off to CajunGunWorks for some tlc (I was getting some not insignificant trigger slap, and the trigger is a bit too far forward for comfort, so I'm getting the pro package done to turn a good gun into an amazing gun).

I sent my P-01 to them over the winter. Great job... The Pro Package pretty much fixed all that stuff. Love it!

Sort of thinking we should all have a private CZ day at a range. I'd love to see how your Cajunized Compact compares to my stock Compact and my Cajunized P-01. I only have the two, but others here could add to the variety. Maybe a lane for each owner or model and the shooters change lanes to try them all.

All this talk put me in the mood for a range trip, so I went after I got off work today. I decided to at least give the P938 a fair try so I rented one and put a box of 147grain flat nose through it. Afterwards, I rented the TLE Ultra again to get a comparison. The P938 is by no means bad, but it is definitely a bit on the snappy side compared to the Kimber. Granted it's a carry gun and not really meant for extended shooting sessions, but I was also more accurate with the Kimber. But then...that price tag, I mean the damn thing costs almost as much as my gaming computer. The more I spin my gears over this, the more I find myself shying away from spending what I consider to be an exorbitant amount of money on a gun like that. Life would be so much simpler if I had a 7-figure salary. I think for now I'm going to keep weighing the pros and cons and be patient, and try to avoid making any rash purchasing decisions.

I sent my P-01 to them over the winter. Great job... The Pro Package pretty much fixed all that stuff. Love it!

Sort of thinking we should all have a private CZ day at a range. I'd love to see how your Cajunized Compact compares to my stock Compact and my Cajunized P-01. I only have the two, but others here could add to the variety. Maybe a lane for each owner or model and the shooters change lanes to try them all.

Next scheduled CZ demo is Maxon on Saturday September 16th. I won't have any Cajun Spice or CZ-Custom Magic on the table, but I will have a Tactical Sport in .40 there.

Haha, that would be pretty sweet. I'm hoping to get mine back by the end of September, but after I get it back I'd certainly be down for range meetup, it's always more fun to shoot with others.

Could you carry the kimber under your T-shirt Would you be able to carry it in your pocket Or would you be limited to when or how to carry it I love my 1911

but it's a little bit hard to carry when it's hot out not my P938 Conceals and carries like a dream

Yeah, the one I fancy (Super Carry Ultra) would be fine IWB under a loose t-shirt, but it's definitely too big to be a pocket gun. I don't think I'd be all that limited in how or when I carried it, but you're absolutely right that the P938 would practically disappear when conceal carried. I stuck it in my belt while at the shop to get a rough idea (I asked permission first of course). And I have to also acknowledge the fact that it's about 10oz lighter unloaded w/magazine than the Kimber.

Next scheduled CZ demo is Maxon on Saturday September 16th. I won't have any Cajun Spice or CZ-Custom Magic on the table, but I will have a Tactical Sport in .40 there.

Dude you're killin' me, I'm already spinning my gears trying to decide what to buy to use as my edc and if I can really justify the extra cost of a Kimber. If I go to a CZ demo I may leave unable to afford car payments lol. But in all seriousness, do you know if they'll have the RAMI? I'm very curious to get my hands on one to see what it's like. Wish it wasn't at Maxon's though, went there once...was less than impressed with their customer service, and quite frankly, their overall attitude.

I carried an ATI FX 45 1911 for a while after getting my license. It wasn't terrible, but in the end, it was just too heavy for all day everyday use... at least for me. It just became a pain. 2.75 lbs, give or take, hanging on my hip... wore me out... constant adjusting and hitching up my pants. In the end I went with a Kahr CW45 - 19.2 empty, roughly 24 oz loaded, and I haven't looked back.

Plenty of people here carry heavier pistols without a problem, but before I laid down that kind of money for an EDC, I would make sure I didn't mind the weight, day after day. Maybe you know someone you can borrow a pistol from?

Good luck

EDITED TO ADD - That Kahr CW45 can be had for about $330.00 too. :)

Dude you're killin' me, I'm already spinning my gears trying to decide what to buy to use as my edc and if I can really justify the extra cost of a Kimber. If I go to a CZ demo I may leave unable to afford car payments lol. But in all seriousness, do you know if they'll have the RAMI? I'm very curious to get my hands on one to see what it's like. Wish it wasn't at Maxon's though, went there once...was less than impressed with their customer service, and quite frankly, their overall attitude.

Yes, I can be 100% certain the CZ rep will have a 2075 RAMI BD that day.

Earlier in the year, demos were held at GAT (Dundee), Second Amendment Sports (McHenry), On Target (Crystal Lake) and ISRA (Bonfield).

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd make a final post about this...So after my initial testing of the P938 earlier, I went to the range again today and tested out the Sig P938 and the Sig P238 back to back...damn.

I put a deposit down on a Sig P238 SAS. Now I just need to sell my Shield lol.

I did the same test twice and currently carry a 238. Love the gun, smooth as butter with little to no kick. Just pick up some good self defense ammo. I have both Lehigh XP and Polycase ARX. Do some googling on ballistics testing on those polycase rounds. Some impressive numbers for such a light wound.

Archived