Illinois General Assembly 5/16/2018

mauserme

I just heard the governors office is tallying votes to see if his veto could actually pass. And here I was hoping he would just let it die.

I just heard the governors office is tallying votes to see if his veto could actually pass. And here I was hoping he would just let it die.
My understanding is that if the sponsor is calling for override, the only options are successful override or bill dies. There is not a way for his veto to actually become the law unless the sponsor calls the vote to accept as amended and that vote passes with a simple majority.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My understanding is that if the sponsor is calling for override, the only options are successful override or bill dies. There is not a way for his veto to actually become the law unless the sponsor calls the vote to accept as amended and that vote passes with a simple majority.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The sponsor did file a motion to accept the veto earlier today.

My understanding is that if the sponsor is calling for override, the only options are successful override or bill dies. There is not a way for his veto to actually become the law unless the sponsor calls the vote to accept as amended and that vote passes with a simple majority.Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The sponsor did file a motion to accept the veto earlier today.

In regards to HB1468? So they are willing to bring back the death penalty over all of this?

In regards to HB1468? So they are willing to bring back the death penalty over all of this?

Perhaps they've estimated that the death penalty being reinstated would be a poison pill for his re-election, then quickly legislated away next January.

I cannot see them voting in favor of the death penalty, even in the very limited applicability Rauner proposed.

Perhaps they've estimated that the death penalty being reinstated would be a poison pill for his re-election, then quickly legislated away next January.

I cannot see them voting in favor of the death penalty, even in the very limited applicability Rauner proposed.

By accepting the veto, aren't they accepting just a "Regular" veto by not voting on the amended one?

By accepting the veto, aren't they accepting just a "Regular" veto by not voting on the amended one?

No, the amendatory veto is a recommendation for changes to the bill. If they accept the amendatory veto, they're accepting his recommendations and changing the bill.

OK, Thanks!

So they're looking for votes to over-ride the whole veto now? Probably... Or votes to accept the recommendations?

No, the amendatory veto is a recommendation for changes to the bill. If they accept the amendatory veto, they're accepting his recommendations and changing the bill.

OK, Thanks!

So they're looking for votes to over-ride the whole veto now? Probably... Or votes to accept the recommendations?

If votes for recommendations, they’ll get none from the black caucus

I now live in the middle of nowhere and the local tv station in a news break said the GUN DEALER LICENSING act and the reporting of transfer of firearms after sale has been passed and the gov is going to sign it today.

They're wrong. Both bills have passed only the Senate at this point, and have been sent to the House for its consideration.

Could be worried the dems are going to put enough votes together to actually get it passed when he was going for more of a symbolic gesture.

I'm not so sure it was all symbolic. He added 2 provisions, I actually really agree with, the transparency and the harsher penalty of death for cop and mass killers.. Both definitely speak to a lot of conservatives.

The Gun Control bills were all out there. HB 1468 itself, passed easily enough to have a plain override happen. It was also a BAD bill that codifies 'assault weapons', and in effect covered most semi autos anyhow, It was a bad bill, and now that codifying is gone. He also gets to use it to campaign with saying "look I went even farther". And, if we are honest. Waiting 3 days for long guns too, is annoying, and yes, another step, but we can live with it, and it doesn't keep any guns out of our hands.

The Lethal Order/ Gun Confiscation bill was out there as well. His version APPEARS TO ME (could Molly or Mauserme verify) to be the version Molly, Todd et al worked on getting the bill to, to the point they were not supporting, but not opposing. THAT changed amended bill had no guarantee it stays that way through both house and senate, as they could butcher it up. IF it is going to pass, this AV, if accepted forces it to be what they (Molly, todd, et al) worked for, and the least onerous to us.

The bump stock/trigger crank was going to pass. He was going to sign the non poison pill version (said he would, so kind of had to). YES, it is another chip. Yes, it would be nice to give no ground. BUT, this is Illinois. Do you really think that Illinois, would never pass this, while less restrictive states are? And, in reality, it isn't losing anything we really want or need. Plus, it's another 'win' for him to campaign on.

LASTLY, the whole package allows him to veto any other bills that WILL start taking away stuff we care about, including this stupid licensing bill. He can, and still say, we have a package that will reduce gun crime, blah, blah. And, in reality, all we 'lost' is a little wait time, and trigger cranks and bump stocks. In THIS state, with the current uninformed masses sentiments, that is, imho a major win.

Could be worried the dems are going to put enough votes together to actually get it passed when he was going for more of a symbolic gesture.

I'm not so sure it was all symbolic. He added 2 provisions, I actually really agree with, the transparency and the harsher penalty of death for cop and mass killers.. Both definitely speak to a lot of conservatives.

The Gun Control bills were all out there. HB 1468 itself, passed easily enough to have a plain override happen. It was also a BAD bill that codifies 'assault weapons', and in effect covered most semi autos anyhow, It was a bad bill, and now that codifying is gone. He also gets to use it to campaign with saying "look I went even farther". And, if we are honest. Waiting 3 days for long guns too, is annoying, and yes, another step, but we can live with it, and it doesn't keep any guns out of our hands.

The Lethal Order/ Gun Confiscation bill was out there as well. His version APPEARS TO ME (could Molly or Mauserme verify) to be the version Molly, Todd et al worked on getting the bill to, to the point they were not supporting, but not opposing. THAT changed amended bill had no guarantee it stays that way through both house and senate, as they could butcher it up. IF it is going to pass, this AV, if accepted forces it to be what they (Molly, todd, et al) worked for, and the least onerous to us.

The bump stock/trigger crank was going to pass. He was going to sign the non poison pill version (said he would, so kind of had to). YES, it is another chip. Yes, it would be nice to give no ground. BUT, this is Illinois. Do you really think that Illinois, would never pass this, while less restrictive states are? And, in reality, it isn't losing anything we really want or need. Plus, it's another 'win' for him to campaign on.

LASTLY, the whole package allows him to veto any other bills that WILL start taking away stuff we care about, including this stupid licensing bill. He can, and still say, we have a package that will reduce gun crime, blah, blah. And, in reality, all we 'lost' is a little wait time, and trigger cranks and bump stocks. In THIS state, with the current uninformed masses sentiments, that is, imho a major win.

The last few days in a nutshell.

I guess I’m used to Todd providing information, but where is the NRA illinois lobbyist? Is there an effort to reach out to that person to develop a relationship with him/her and IC? Is the NRA assisting us?

Yes, we have. John Weber is a good guy, we work well together. They are assisting us. I think Todd had a little more freedom to post because he was an independent contractor.

I guess I’m used to Todd providing information, but where is the NRA illinois lobbyist? Is there an effort to reach out to that person to develop a relationship with him/her and IC? Is the NRA assisting us?

Yes, we have. John Weber is a good guy, we work well together. They are assisting us. I think Todd had a little more freedom to post because he was an independent contractor.

Thank you!

Where can we see how they voted?

Go to ILGA and enter the bill number and click on "Votes"

Senate votinghttp://ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory/100/senate/10000SB0337_05162018_003000T.pdf

Has Nybo responded to any of his constituents regarding his collusion?

Nope. Neither did Curran.

Can anything be derived from a senator that has traditionally been a 2nd. amendment proponent but has been a NV more than once on this issue lately?

I am curious as to what senator McConchie's actions have been all about.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, May 17, 2018 at 03:47 PM - Posted in wrong topic
Hidden by mauserme, May 17, 2018 at 03:47 PM - Posted in wrong topic

House Amendment 1 was filed on SB2580:

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Creates the Gun Violence Restraining Order Act. Provides for entry of an emergency gun violence restraining order upon complaint filed by a State's Attorney, assistant State's Attorney, law enforcement officer, or an immediate family member supported by evidence submitted under oath or affirmation subject to the penalties for perjury and stating facts sufficient to show probable cause to believe that: (1) the identified person poses an imminent danger of causing death or serious bodily injury to himself, herself, or any other person; (2) the person possesses or has ready access to one or more firearms; and (3) less restrictive alternatives either have been tried and found to be ineffective or would be inadequate or inappropriate under the circumstances after a hearing is held. Repeals the Firearm Seizure Act. Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act and Firearm Concealed Carry Act to make conforming changes. Amends the Counties Code concerning sales taxes to be used for school resource officers and mental health professionals and a referendum for that purpose. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a person commits the offense of unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly delivers any firearm, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of the firearm for at least 72 hours after application for its purchase has been made (current law permits delivery of a rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun gun or taser after 24 hours after application for its purchase has been made). Reinstates the death penalty if at the time of the commission of then offense the person was 18 years of age or older and the person caused the death of 2 or more human beings without lawful justification or the victim was a peace officer killed in the course of performing his or her official duties, either to prevent the performance of the officer's duties or in retaliation for the performance of the officer's duties, and the person knew that the victim was a peace officer. Amends the Unified Code of Corrections to make conforming changes. Makes other changes, including creating the Gun Crime Charging and Sentencing Accountability and Transparency Act. Effective immediately.

Where can we see how they voted?

Go to ILGA and enter the bill number and click on "Votes"

Senate votinghttp://ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory/100/senate/10000SB0337_05162018_003000T.pdf

Has Nybo responded to any of his constituents regarding his collusion?

Nope. Neither did Curran.

Can anything be derived from a senator that has traditionally been a 2nd. amendment proponent but has been a NV more than once on this issue lately?

I am curious as to what senator McConchie's actions have been all about.

I just sent Sen. Curran a copy of the Illinois GOP party platform.

https://illinois.gop/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2016PlatformoftheIllinoisRepublicanParty.pdf

There a a strong statement in support of the Second Amendment.

Archived