#61 j28791

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:56 AM

I wonder if he failed the class? 

http://www.pantagrap...e87dd092fa.html

https://www.usnews.c...imself-in-thigh

"The owner of a central Illinois gun store says a man taking a concealed-carry class at his business was injured when he accidentally shot himself in the leg.

The (Bloomington) Pantagraph reports that the shooting happened on Thursday at C.I. Shooting Sports in Normal.

Business owner Stephen Stewart says the man was taking the course that's required by state law when the gun discharged as he took it out of a holster."

This is why I always say that Civilians should not carry glocks or any gun without a manual thumb safety. People don't listen and think it's cool to carry a gun without a safety with one in the chamber. It's puts all our lives at risk.

#62 Quiet Observer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

This is why I always say that Civilians should not carry glocks or any gun without a manual thumb safety. People don't listen and think it's cool to carry a gun without a safety with one in the chamber. It's puts all our lives at risk.

Neither article stated the brand of pistol.  One said .22cal, the other "small caliper".  People have accidently shoot themselves, regardless of type of safety.  

Perhaps we would be safer if civilians did not have guns?  

#63 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

It is wise to learn any piece of machinery with small steps.

#64 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

The only kind of police that aren't civilians are Military Police

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” 
- Daniel Webster -

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule. 
- H. L. Mencken -

“Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

#65 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

"The owner of a central Illinois gun store says a man taking a concealed-carry class at his business was injured when he accidentally shot himself in the leg.

The (Bloomington) Pantagraph reports that the shooting happened on Thursday at C.I. Shooting Sports in Normal.

Business owner Stephen Stewart says the man was taking the course that's required by state law when the gun discharged as he took it out of a holster."

Did you see a report of what model firearm he was using? I have not.

An ND on the draw strikes me more like a classic Tex Grebner maneuver with a crisp SA trigger than a striker/DAO.

#66 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:58 AM

I wonder if he failed the class?    http://www.pantagrap...e87dd092fa.html   https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/illinois/articles/2018-02-09/man-taking-concealed-carry-course-shoots-himself-in-thigh   "The owner of a central Illinois gun store says a man taking a concealed-carry class at his business was injured when he accidentally shot himself in the leg. The (Bloomington) Pantagraph reports that the shooting happened on Thursday at C.I. Shooting Sports in Normal. Business owner Stephen Stewart says the man was taking the course that's required by state law when the gun discharged as he took it out of a holster."   This is why I always say that Civilians should not carry glocks or any gun without a manual thumb safety. People don't listen and think it's cool to carry a gun without a safety with one in the chamber. It's puts all our lives at risk.
...says the guy with 11 posts who joined earlier this month. Manual safeties are mechanical devices that are prone to failure, just like any other mechanical device. Every firearm has two additional safeties. Finger and brain. Both must be engaged at all times. Modern firearms do not go off without the trigger being squeezed. This was NOT a problem to be solved by a thumb safety, but by proper training and supervision of students. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#67 .40carry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Well that’s quite the slippery slope. It’s the same argument the antis use regarding AR’s, forward assist, pistol grips on shotguns, SBR’s etc. I have very specific reasons why I’ve chosen my EDC in a DAO configuration without a manual thumb safety, and I’ll keep it. Thank you very much.

#68 chicagoresident

• 1,344 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

While I don't carry a Glock I'll argue that thumb safeties are the stupidist thing. But to each their own, lots of different guns to choose from for everyones level of comfort.

If it's in a good holster, hasn't been tampered with, and in the hands of a user acting competently it won't go off on its own. I can say with confidence that Glock's have an amazing assortment of security features to make sure they don't go off in any other circumstance then PULLING THE TRIGGER.

I can list a million reasons why I carry my gun and not others, but that's just an opinion.

Besides, everyone knows most glock accidents are cause by police officers' wives getting in the way of clearing a barrel before cleaning.

Edited by chicagoresident, 21 March 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#69 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

This is why I always say that Civilians should not carry glocks or any gun without a manual thumb safety. People don't listen and think it's cool to carry a gun without a safety with one in the chamber. It's puts all our lives at risk.While I don't carry a Glock I'll argue that thumb safeties are the stupidist thing. But to each their own, lots of different guns to choose from for everyones level of comfort. If it's in a good holster, hasn't been tampered with, and in the hands of a user acting competently it won't go off on its own. I can say with confidence that Glock's have an amazing assortment of security features to make sure they don't go off in any other circumstance then PULLING THE TRIGGER. I can list a million reasons why I carry my gun and not others, but that's just an opinion. Besides, everyone knows most glock accidents are cause by police officers' wives getting in the way of clearing a barrel before cleaning.
Modern pistols will NEVER go off on their own. An incompetent user touching off the trigger while handling the gin fired it. It did not go off on its own. A gun that has been tampered with in such a way that it no longer functions this way was essentially fired by the tamperer. Manual safeties on modern pistols are a security blanket. A potentially deadly security blanket if you ever need to use your pistol defensively but have not properly trained disengaging the safety into muscle memory. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users