Several States vs. US DEPT. OF STATE & DEFENSE DISTRIBUTED & SAF

kevinmcc

STATE OF WASHINGTON; STATE OF CONNECTICUT; STATE OF MARYLAND; STATE OF NEW JERSEY; STATE OF NEW YORK; STATE OF OREGON; COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS; COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA; and the DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

vs.

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE; MICHAEL R. POMPEO, in his official capacity as Secretary of State; DIRECTORATE OF DEFENSE TRADE CONTROLS; MIKE MILLER, in his official capacity as Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Trade Controls; SARAH HEIDEMA, in her official capacity as Director of Policy, Office of Defense Trade Controls Policy; DEFENSE DISTRIBUTED; SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION, INC.; AND CONN WILLIAMSON

Attached the complaint I have not read yet.

01_Complaint.pdf

Those links work.

An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle that is the civilian equivalent of the M-16 and the weapon of choice for many mass shooters.

* sigh *

Also gasoline-fueled automobiles are the vehicle of choice for many drunk drivers.

or

Oxygen is the respiratory gas of choice for many international terrorists.

The suit is filed against the Federal government because it previously settled a charge of violating ITAR (weapons export) against Defense Distributed. The states are saying the Federal government broke Federal laws and violated the 10th Amendment. FWIW Defense Distributed's previous defense was that preventing publication was a 1st Amendment violation. Several decades ago the precedent was set when various groups published plans specifying how to build atomic weapons. I'm not sure the states can get far given that precedent. Is an AR-15 "frame" (presumably a lower) more dangerous than an H bomb?

My understanding is that 100% plastic guns aren't exactly durable. (The firing pins and springs still need to be metal, so maybe 99% plastic.)

A 3D-printed plastic lower is an interesting idea. I know some companies sell plastic lowers already.

U.S. judge halts release of blueprints for 3-D printed guns

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Tuesday blocked the imminent release of blueprints for 3-D printed guns, hours before they were set to hit the internet, after several states sued to halt publication of designs to make weapons that security screening may not detect.

U.S. District Judge Robert Lasnik in Seattle, Washington, said the blueprints' publication could cause irreparable harm to U.S. citizens. The decision blocked a settlement President Donald Trump's administration had reached with the Texas-based company, which planned to put files online on Wednesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, Trump raised concerns about the sale of plastic guns made with 3-D printers.

Eight states and the District of Columbia on Monday filed a lawsuit to fight a June settlement between the federal government and Defense Distributed allowing the Texas-based company to legally publish its designs.

Gun control proponents are concerned the weapons made from 3-D printers are untraceable, undetectable "ghost" firearms that pose a threat to global security. Some gun rights groups say the technology is expensive, the guns are unreliable and the threat is being overblown.

These people are idiots. All of these files have been available on torrents for the past five years. I know several people who have used them to make quite a few home-built firearms using them with their CNC machines and 3-D printers.

At present, I have no interest in making any for myself, as I have more than enough firearms to burn up my ammunition budget currently, but if I did ever decide to, I could get the files and the machinery to make a veritable arsenal for about $1,500 and a half an hour calling around.

Not to mention, there are NUMEROUS how-to-build firearm instructions all around the Internet, including for a 9mm submachine gun that you can make out of hardware store parts:

http://www.armchairpatriot.com/Home%20Defense/Homemade%20Guns/Home%20Expedient%20Firearms%20-%209mm%20SMG.pdf

The horror!

These people are idiots. All of these files have been available on torrents for the past five years. I know several people who have used them to make quite a few home-built firearms using them with their CNC machines and 3-D printers.

At present, I have no interest in making any for myself, as I have more than enough firearms to burn up my ammunition budget currently, but if I did ever decide to, I could get the files and the machinery to make a veritable arsenal for about $1,500 and a half an hour calling around.

Not to mention, there are NUMEROUS how-to-build firearm instructions all around the Internet, including for a 9mm submachine gun that you can make out of hardware store parts:

http://www.armchairpatriot.com/Home%20Defense/Homemade%20Guns/Home%20Expedient%20Firearms%20-%209mm%20SMG.pdf

The horror!

Your link no longer works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Also, just wondering, since there are States involved as parties, doesn't this according to the Constitution fall directly under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, as per Article 3, Section 2, Clause 2 . . .

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/tocs/a3_2_2.html

So, this raises (not begs) the question, how could a judge other than a Supreme Court Justice be involved in this or issue an injunction, when by law it falls above his jurisdiction?

To get around the injunction that says he is not allowed to post them online for free, today Cody Wilson started to privately sell the plans in a name your price scheme, apparently offers as low as 1 penny will get you a copy of each guns blueprints.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/08/28/3d-printed-gun-blueprints-cody-wilson-selling/

So to verify I signed up, had to use a proxy because if your IP resolves to the 'Blue' Illinois or several other Blue states they will refuse you membership, worked around that, and presto. I know the worms were already out of the can but from the download numbers in only a few hours, looks like the worms just exploded out of the can.

list_download.jpg

ar_15_sale.jpg

I downloaded the files a couple of weeks ago after the story first broke. I have no interest in printing any 3D guns but wanted to bump the download count just to irritate all the states and people that want to block downloads of the files. In fact I think all people of the gun should download the files just to trigger those against downloading the files.

Archived