National Reciprocity a Reality Under President Trump

yyyz

I think the LGBT bathroom is probably the best example. That is challenging the interpretation of a federal law - the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-carolina-gov-pat-mccrory-faces-monday-deadline-lgbt-law-n570396

But North Carolina isn't saying the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act is government over-reach in and of itself. You can see the hypocrisy at work here though - cross the liberals and they think its OK to cut off funding to NC. Sancturary cities which clearly violate law though...don't cut off funding to them because its wrong and inhumane !

In going to keep banging this drum on the filibuster... There is no reason they should enact the rules for allowing the filibuster. They have to vote on and approve the filibuster every session. The rationale in the past for continuing to allow filibuster is that control would eventually change and then Democrats would do away with it... That ship has sailed. Dems already used the nuclear option. Time for Republicans to eliminate the filibuster and get every piece of legislation and nominees that are picked on a simple majority vote. I would love to see the gnashing of teeth and hair pulled out for the next two years.

Agreed, Devil Dog. I thought those weakling Republican Senators were going to finally use the "nuclear option" this time. They need to pick up and use the most effective (and legal) weapon possible if they are going to win. If not, they weaken Trump and the rest of us!

"My enemy confronts me. I will give him nothing. I will take from him – Everything"

National Citizen ID Card and a copy of the Bill of Rights ... good to go!!

Careful about the National Citizen ID Card. The globalists we just beat have been trying to get a national ID card instituted in the U.S. for a long time. It's my understanding there is already some sort of nationwide drivers license standardization effort in process. Could give them a "person" registry. Add data like fingerprints, biological identification (DNA now available), maybe even FOID/CCL-like information?

What's the fear about a Constitutional Convention? The worst that could happen is that the Constitution is totally re-written, just as the first Constitutional Convention threw out the Articles of Confederation and drafted the Constitution we have now. Of course anything that they put together would take 3/4's of the States to approve so its not likely that the 2nd Amendment would be left by the wayside. But maybe we could get rid of some of the pesky issues we now live with, like lifetime appointments for Supreme Court Justices, the United States Senate, and maybe a re-phrasing of the 1st Amendment to allow free speech, but not left wing ideological drivel. Even though I am getting on in years, I would volunteer my time without pay in service to my country to be the arbiter of what constitutes such drivel. What could be more fair?

Thank you, spec5!

Here's the link for

H.R.986 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/986?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22hr986%22%5D%7D

Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm under federal law, and who is carrying a valid, government-issued identification document containing that person's photograph and a valid permit issued by any state to carry a concealed firearm, to possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machine gun or destructive device) in any other state that permits residents to carry a concealed firearm, in accordance with the restrictions of that state. Makes presentation of facially valid documents prima facie evidence that the individual has a license or permit as required.

214 Cosponsors! Here's IL, * = Original Sponsor

Rep. Bost, Mike [R-IL-12] 05/01/2015

Rep. Davis, Rodney [R-IL-13]* 02/13/2015

Rep. Hultgren, Randy [R-IL-14] 01/11/2016

Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]* 02/13/2015

Rep. Shimkus, John [R-IL-15]* 02/13/2015

Ahhhh I miss Mike Bost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Mike was entertaining to say the least and passionate. What a spokesman for us.

Hi,

If passed, this would give a "lowest common denominator" quality to acquiring a permit.

Why pay many hundreds here in IL, and go through lengthy training, if you can obtain one from a state with a less burdensome setup?

FWIW.

Rich Phillips j

Because, as it's currently written, this bill would allow you to carry in any state except your own, unless you have a license issued by your own state.

So an Illinois resident with only a Florida non-resident permit could carry in every state except Illinois.

This new Caucus might help.

Members of Congress to reload gun rights caucus

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/09/members-congress-to-reload-gun-rights-caucus.html

If we had a national Citizen ID card - and the federal government tried to enforce its use for validating voters - every blue state would sue for violating their states "rights" There would also be plaintiffs suing under the 15th, 19th, 23rd, 24th, 26th Amendments and probably the 14th Amendment too.

As soon as a national reciprocity bill passes, California will file suit under the 10th Amendment.

This could be a good thing for people in California if you think about it. If it passes constitutional muster, citizens of places NYC, LA, Hawaii, etc. could sue for unequal treatment under the law using national reciprocity as an example (for example, "why does this Floridian get to carry in NYC as a tourist but I, as a native New Yorker, can't?")

What's the fear about a Constitutional Convention? The worst that could happen is that the Constitution is totally re-written, just as the first Constitutional Convention threw out the Articles of Confederation and drafted the Constitution we have now. Of course anything that they put together would take 3/4's of the States to approve so its not likely that the 2nd Amendment would be left by the wayside. But maybe we could get rid of some of the pesky issues we now live with, like lifetime appointments for Supreme Court Justices, the United States Senate, and maybe a re-phrasing of the 1st Amendment to allow free speech, but not left wing ideological drivel. Even though I am getting on in years, I would volunteer my time without pay in service to my country to be the arbiter of what constitutes such drivel. What could be more fair?

With a convention, there's rules regarding what can be proposed and it has to be agreed upon by the delegates before the states can even vote on whatever amendments they come up with.

If we had a national Citizen ID card - and the federal government tried to enforce its use for validating voters - every blue state would sue for violating their states "rights" There would also be plaintiffs suing under the 15th, 19th, 23rd, 24th, 26th Amendments and probably the 14th Amendment too.

As soon as a national reciprocity bill passes, California will file suit under the 10th Amendment.

This could be a good thing for people in California if you think about it. If it passes constitutional muster, citizens of places NYC, LA, Hawaii, etc. could sue for unequal treatment under the law using national reciprocity as an example (for example, "why does this Floridian get to carry in NYC as a tourist but I, as a native New Yorker, can't?")

If California were to prevail, it would form a logical basis for a state like Texas to sue the Federal Government for overturning the NFA on the basis that it violates state's powers.

This is why liberal outcome-based judges ignore logic and just rule for the outcome they want, then they concoct a very complex and convoluted argument for their ruling to try to make sense of that which makes no sense.

John Kennedy ® just one Louisiana so we have one more in the Senate. Now we have 52. That ought to help.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/republican-john-kennedy-wins-louisiana-runoff-election-senate-44115736

Many D seats with few R seats up in the NEXT election.

Maybe re can FINALLY get rid of Durbin !!

Tom at best that is Wishful thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow in my county St Clair alone loves that feminine hygiene product

A Constitutional Convention is IMO a very bad idea at this juncture. The US is currently much more liberal and much less freedom-loving than the US > 200 years ago. Any rewrite of the Constitution would be a drastic turn for the worse. It's bad enough that the government frequently gets away with ignoring it; I couldn't even imagine the damage if they rewrote it!

A Constitutional Convention is IMO a very bad idea at this juncture. The US is currently much more liberal and much less freedom-loving than the US > 200 years ago. Any rewrite of the Constitution would be a drastic turn for the worse. It's bad enough that the government frequently gets away with ignoring it; I couldn't even imagine the damage if they rewrote it!

Or more bluntly, most of the current inhabitants of the US House and Senate don't have freedom's fire in their guts the way the founders did. Few of them truly understand what the founders bequeathed to us, much less have the intellect to modify it. Any attempt at tinkering on their part would be create more problems than it would solve.

+1,000,000,000

Here's an interesting perspective promoting the idea that it is actually the "right to travel" that makes the idea of a type of national reciprocity (focusing on "keeping" inside the home and not on "bearing" outside the home) a Constitutional imperative.

So if a state may not require you to temporarily give up the ability to enjoy welfare benefits to become a resident, it would hardly seem constitutionally permissible for a state to require the temporary surrender of your legally owned firearms to become a resident. In other words, it may actually be that the constitutional right to travel requires national reciprocity when it comes to a law-abiding citizen’s right to keep a gun in his or her home for self-defense. As such, efforts to achieve national reciprocity ought to be adjusted to remedy what is potentially an ongoing violation of the constitutional rights of many citizens who, like myself, became gun owners in one state, and had to give up their firearms to move into another.

That's not how it would work. They can't just propose anything they want, the delegates have to agree upon anything before it gets referred to the state legislatures for ratification. They can't just use this as an opportunity to gut the entire constitution. Plus the GOP controls most of the state legislatures right now. The mock convention they had recently only agreed upon six items that only dealt with things like term limits and budgetary changes for Congress, nothing else.

Many D seats with few R seats up in the NEXT election.

Maybe re can FINALLY get rid of Durbin !!

Tom at best that is Wishful thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow in my county St Clair alone loves that feminine hygiene product!

:devil: :laugh: :rofl: Don't forget Claybourne! He's another one, even if only at the "state level"!

You already Know of the Plan to Unseat his Worthless TUCKUS

In reply to Prairie Pucker's post #146 about most senators and congressman not having " freedom's fire in their guts like the founders did" I'd like to point out that my congressman Mike Bost , my former state rep, still has it as he is a co-sponsor of the bill. Remember the video of him confronting the Illinois house about voting on a bill that they didn't have time to read?

I see that out of 18 members of the U.S. House from Illinois only 5 are co-sponsors of the bill Adam Kinzinger , 16th district, Rodney Davis 13th, Shimkus 15th, Randy Hultgren 14th, and Mike Bost 12th. Looks like support is coming from my end of the state. Also 4 democrats in the U.S. house are supporting it.

It looks like the only Illinois republican's in the U.S. House not cosponsors are Darin Lahood 18th, Robert Dold 10th, and Peter Roskum 6th.

Archived