Iowa Senate passes "Shall Issue" carry bill

GarandFan

I checked and see that Iowa won't be accepting other states LTC until January 1,2011 so I guess there could be a reason to get the non-resident Iowa LTC. If they haven't added a training requirement I am fairly sure it won't add any states you wouldn't have with Utah or Florida and maybe none you wouldn't have with Pa. Of course some folks do like to collect LTCs. If you got it now I guess it would still be $25 and good for one year, then you could carry there on Pa or whatever (Illinois?).

I checked and see that Iowa won't be accepting other states LTC until January 1,2011 so I guess there could be a reason to get the non-resident Iowa LTC. If they haven't added a training requirement I am fairly sure it won't add any states you wouldn't have with Utah or Florida and maybe none you wouldn't have with Pa. Of course some folks do like to collect LTCs. If you got it now I guess it would still be $25 and good for one year, then you could carry there on Pa or whatever (Illinois?).

Only the professional permit is available to non-res through the state police. That does require a business related nexus. How tenuous the nexus I do not know. Both people I know that have or had Iowa non-res permits claimed protection of equipment and inventory. Paul was one of those, ie firearms transported for his UT carry classes.

Only the professional permit is available to non-res through the state police. That does require a business related nexus. How tenuous the nexus I do not know. Both people I know that have or had Iowa non-res permits claimed protection of equipment and inventory. Paul was one of those, ie firearms transported for his UT carry classes.

Phorvick, mentioned having the Iowa non-resident LTC in his Utah class that I took. I wonder if they will be more willing to issue a non-resident LTC now seeing that come January any LTC will be good. Maybe if you are a FFL dealer going to Iowa gun shows especially? Not the type of equipment they'd like to see stolen is my guess.

IA currently may issue to any non-resident a non-professional permit. However, the "Statement of Need" makes it very tough to get. That was what held me up from applying.

The new law will eliminate the non-pro non-res license:

724.11 Issuance of permit to carry weapons.

1. Applications for permits to carry weapons shall be made

to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.

Applications from for professional permits to carry weapons

for persons who are nonresidents of the state, or whose need

to go armed arises out of employment by the state, shall be

made to the commissioner of public safety.

Archived