How Illinois governor candidates would address gun violence

InterestedBystander

Of course, Ives had the best answers. She deserves our support.

The problem is, she cannot win. Rauner has a chance, albeit a narrow one, of winning. None of the Democrats are going to be our friends so we, along with many other groups will be far better off with Rauner and we need to work together to try to reelect him. His likely opponent will be one of the richest men in America so this is going to be a historically big money election. Who would have thought a multi millionaire running for Governor is being outspent and will continue to be outspent?

There are a lot of "firsts" in this upcoming election. JB's businesses have been strongly anti-union (think Hyatt Hotels among others) yet all the unions in Illinois have endorsed him. His endorsements are effectively cutting out the other Democratic candidates as surely as his money is.

I was at several fundraisers last night in Springfield and the consensus was that JB was going to win the Democratic primary and that it was going to be a very tough race in the general election. This is the same belief I have been hearing for over a month now in the Capitol, in private meetings, and at fund raisers. Some of the downstate Democrats that are on our side are also worried that gun control efforts are going to get out of control if Rauner loses. Some insiders believe that California will look like a gun friendly state compared to Illinois within a couple of years of JB winning the Governorship.

The problem is, she cannot win.

I would rather lose standing for what I believe than lose by giving up my values. Rauner is going to lose in the general no matter who the Democrat is.

I will not vote for a man who signed a bill to use my tax money to murder babies. If Rauner wanted my vote, he should have thought about that. Either he's a Democrat in Republican's clothing or he's an amoral man (or both).

I will not vote for a Democrat either. I will abstain from the gubernatorial race on my ballot this November if Rauner appears as the Republican candidate. I'm also considering third party candidates.

The problem is, she cannot win.

I would rather lose standing for what I believe than lose by giving up my values. Rauner is going to lose in the general no matter who the Democrat is.

I will not vote for a man who signed a bill to use my tax money to murder babies. If Rauner wanted my vote, he should have thought about that. Either he's a Democrat in Republican's clothing or he's an amoral man (or both).

I will not vote for a Democrat either. I will abstain from the gubernatorial race on my ballot this November if Rauner appears as the Republican candidate. I'm also considering third party candidates.

Obviously we have a philosophical difference. I won't give up trying to protect gun rights, even if it means dealing with people I don't like, or people I don't agree with on other positions. The vote on abortion you dislike will actually help him in the Chicago suburbs and would have happened anyway even if he had voted against it.

All that said, I do understand your point of view. I pretty much feel the same way on gun issues, but, since I am involved with other issues that affect my and many of my friends ability to do business in Illinois, even that issue is softly ignored when I am courting a vote I need by anti gun legislators.

So what does one do if political Armageddon comes and we go over the left cliff? If one has spent many years amassing a collection of firearms that interest him, what does he do with many of them that could be regulated out of existence in Illinois. What would any here do? Where do you dispose of a large collection in a state like ours. This is very troubling.

Easy, you refuse to obey the law.

We need to remember this quote attributed to C. S. Lewis. He could have been talking about democrats/liberals.

“Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.”

Archived