IL Firearms Training Instructor Registration

Bud

Boog,

The certification Budman5 used to get his was not the NRA course but rather one recognized by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. The 40 hour instructors course is taught by NEMRT {North East Multi-Regional Training Inc.} but of course is only offered to active police officers.

This certified program is designed to provide instruction to law enforcement personnel who will be involved in firearms training activities for their departments.
This course has been certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board. It is approved for certificate only, not reimbursement.

Which still leaves us out. I never have nor will be a cop. Not that I don't respect them I just really have no desire to do that kind of work. I spoke with another NRA Instructor this weekend who does have that cert. He is going to teach 1 Chicago class and no more. He said that Daley is just waiting for a Chicago Citizen to screw up and then he is going after the Instructor. I don't know if that is true but it sure sounds like something Shortshanks would try to do

boog

My understanding is in order to teach the 20hr you have to either be working for someone who has a course that has been approved by DPR, or you have to submit a course which they have to approve, and then you must provide a suitable range that DPR approves. I have taught the 20 hr. under the security company i work for, and have qualified police officers but i did so under that depts. program.

• 3 months later...

Hope I am not reviving a dead topic, but I just came across this site and forums and was reading soem of the topics and posts.

I already have planned on doing the NRA Instructors courses for Pistol, Shotgun & Rifle. I was interesed in the LE NRA Instuctor course but had not thought too much about it until this topic. Since I do not meet the eligability under the LEO or MP, I sent an email requesting consideration for a "case by case" review providing some of my previous history. I will come back and post when I get a reply..

To have an approved course is one thing, but to be a certifed instructor seems to be another and I meet one of the prerequisites.

So.......I can become a certified as an instructor and never seek to have or teach an approved 40hr course, but still be able to sign the CPD affidavit?

This is true. Look at it this way... If owned a firearms training academy. I can have my course certified but not be certified to instruct it(as I only own and run the business). You can be a certified instructor and not be providing a course but the Academy/range you work for does? So they work hand in hand, but are sperate certs for the purposes they are titled for...

Also you can be a certified instructor to teach the 20 or 40 hour course, your certificaiton will determine whether you can teach LEO's and Security personnel

• 1 year later...

Archived