Clear answer on what to do with FOID/CCL when leaving the state

kevintb7

I know there are several threads on this, but they are riddled with conflicting information.

Does anyone know the clear answer on what you are required to do with your FOID/CCL when moving out of IL?

Some have said do nothing, others have said they had warrants issued when they did nothing. Some have said mail it, some have said turn it in to local PD (who I am sure would laugh at me in Indiana).

I have tried emailing and calling the ISP, all of the extensions for firearms at the ISP just hang up on you, tell you to call the number you just called, or tell you it is for LEO only, why bother having a phone number? So happy to be done with this.

Does anyone have a clear confirmed answer on what to do? I will have to visit IL so I don't want to risk having a warrant.

Thank you in advance, and I strongly encourage the rest of you to come join me, look up the property taxes in IN if you need some motivation.

The police are not your lawyers. Don't expect accurate legal advice from them.

The licensing conditions of the CCL require you to notify the ISP within 30 days of an address change.

430 ILCS 66/55. Change of address or name; lost, destroyed, or stolen licenses.

(a) A licensee shall notify the Department within 30 days of moving or changing residence or any change of name. ...

Since moving out of state makes you ineligible, the ISP should notify you that your license is revoked. Upon receiving a notice of revocation, supposedly you have 48 hours to turn your licenses in to the local PD where you now reside and get a receipt for them.

430 ILCS 66/70. Violations.

(a) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found to be ineligible for a license under this Act or the licensee no longer meets the eligibility requirements of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

(g) A licensee whose license is revoked, suspended, or denied shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation, suspension, or denial, surrender his or her concealed carry license to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the licensee a receipt and transmit the concealed carry license to the Department of State Police. ...

Honestly, I doubt an out-of-state PD will care. If, however, the ISP decides it really cares, I'd send them copies of the receipts and let them contact the local PD.

IANAL

Keep it in a safe. If you move back for some reason and its not expired all you have to do is file for an address update. Meanwhile you'll still have an active card and won't have to wait the ridiculous duration. They will not research that you left the state and came back.

I would not however carry in Illinois with it, if for some reason you had to protect yourself they would surely dig up the fact that you moved, didn't report it, didn't have a "valid" CCW license due to the move, etc, etc.

After reading these replies, it is obvious who will register their guns and/or turn them in when the state says you’re required to and who will give the state the middle finger.

If you give this state ANYTHING without making them work for it, you’re part of the problem. The state of Illinois is a dysfunctional and corrupt joke.

Since nobody in their right mind would pay $80 to register a new out of state address for their FOID and CCL just to have it revoked, what I would do in that situation is cancel the CCL. There is a button for it on the website and probably instructions to follow after it is clicked.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know there are several threads on this, but they are riddled with conflicting information.

Does anyone know the clear answer on what you are required to do with your FOID/CCL when moving out of IL?

Some have said do nothing, others have said they had warrants issued when they did nothing. Some have said mail it, some have said turn it in to local PD (who I am sure would laugh at me in Indiana).

I have tried emailing and calling the ISP, all of the extensions for firearms at the ISP just hang up on you, tell you to call the number you just called, or tell you it is for LEO only, why bother having a phone number? So happy to be done with this.

Does anyone have a clear confirmed answer on what to do? I will have to visit IL so I don't want to risk having a warrant.

Thank you in advance, and I strongly encourage the rest of you to come join me, look up the property taxes in IN if you need some motivation.

Property taxes in Tennessee are also a very small fraction of what they are in ILLannoy. And no state income tax! Forbes Magazine yesterday ranked IL #1 for net exodus status in the U.S.

Just moved to Tennessee 2 weeks ago. Not looking back!

I have a contact at ISP who said just mail FOID and CCL to: ISP Concealed Carry 801 S 7th St. Ste 400-M Springfield IL 62703

So that's what I'm gonna do. I don't feel like having a whole sheriff's office laughing at me here in eastern Tennessee!

It's been an honor to have been associated with this group and a number of you personally. You know who you are! Every sale/buy/trade etc with an IC member was a good experience.

Good luck and good fortune to all. Weigh your options. You DO have choices.

Property taxes in Tennessee are also a very small fraction of what they are in ILLannoy. And no state income tax! Forbes Magazine yesterday ranked IL #1 for net exodus status in the U.S.

I have a contact at ISP who said just mail FOID and CCL to: ISP Concealed Carry 801 S 7th St. Ste 400-M Springfield IL 62703

So that's what I'm gonna do. I don't feel like having a whole sheriff's office laughing at me here in eastern Tennessee!

It's been an honor to have been associated with this group and a number of you personally. You know who you are! Every sale/buy/trade etc with an IC member was a good experience.

Congrats on the move! Wish you all the best!

Congrats on the move! Wish you all the best!

Thank you, Molly/Valinda. You do an amazing job for this cause, and this group. Your dedication is absolutely remarkable. The concept of concealed carry in Illinois would be waaaaaay set back from where it is now, but for your efforts.

• 1 month later...

So as I said in post #19 above, on Oct 16:

I mailed them in on or about Nov 15.

Today I got snail mail from ISP stating:

This is to notify you that your Illinois Concealed Carry License is hereby CANCELLED for the following reason(s): Applicant contacted Firearms Services Bureau and advised that he/she moved out of state.

So obviously they received my CCL and FOID, and my cover letter stating that I had moved.

Glad I didn't make a fool out of myself going to my local sheriff here in TN and asking him to mail those to the ISP. I know those deputies would have laughed!

Good luck with everything, guys and gals. Just wanted to pass that information along.

• 2 months later...

This is to notify you that your Illinois Concealed Carry License is hereby CANCELLED for the following reason(s): Applicant contacted Firearms Services Bureau and advised that he/she moved out of state.

So obviously they received my CCL and FOID, and my cover letter stating that I had moved.

Glad I didn't make a fool out of myself going to my local sheriff here in TN and asking him to mail those to the ISP. I know those deputies would have laughed!

Good luck with everything, guys and gals. Just wanted to pass that information along.

My FOID expired on Feb 1. I have been out of Illinois for 2 years and have a lifetime Indiana permit.

I have been active on the ISP website the whole time. I had to search to find the old cards to mail them back - certified - this week.

I'll be expecting my letter in the coming weeks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget to turn in your Illinois Carry Forum ID Card, or we'll have to issue a warrant! :flowers: :frantics:

Best of luck to you!

If SB0107 passes I'll be moving to Iowa and I'll report back on how I handle my Illinois FOID and CCL. Anyone know if it's possible to convert my Illinois CCL to an out of State CCL? I realize that'd be expensive but when/if I move I'll need to make daily trips into Illinois and it won't recognize Iowa's CCL.

VooDoo

If SB0107 passes I'll be moving to Iowa and I'll report back on how I handle my Illinois FOID and CCL. Anyone know if it's possible to convert my Illinois CCL to an out of State CCL? I realize that'd be expensive but when/if I move I'll need to make daily trips into Illinois and it won't recognize Iowa's CCL.

VooDoo

Currently, the only states that qualify for out of state ILFCCL are Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia. If you move to IA, you won't qualify.

Archived