IL Senate district 28

mack69

Hi all, I am a bit concerned about what could happen in Senate District 28 this year. Incumbent Senator John Millner ® (friend of 2A, firearm owner and friend) will not be running for re-election. The scary part is that Dan "Gun Ban" Kotowski (D) is running. His opponents are either Jim

O'Donnell ® and Gayle Smolinski ®. I don't know much about O'Donnell or Smolinski aside from below:

O'Donnell is the Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer for Camcraft, Inc., a manufacturing firm. He previously worked as Operations Manager for Graco, Inc. O'Donnell graduated from Maine South High School and earned his BBA in Accounting from the University of Notre Dame. He is a state certified CPA

On his campaign website O'Donnell details his positions on two issues - term limits and the 2011 state tax increase. Here are excerpts:

• Term Limits: "I believe the State of Illinois should enact term limits for state legislators, with no individual being able to serve more than 10 years in each legislative body. It is imperative that legislators have enough life experience or expertise to be able to contribute meaningfully to policy, operational and budget decisions. Once elected, the curve for the process is short enough so that a legislator can spend 9 very productive years in office before returning to private life."
  • Repealing the Tax Hike: "My first priority as a Senator will be to repeal the 67% income tax increase enacted by Governor Pat Quinn and the Democratic controlled legislature."

She currently serves as the Mayor of Roselle, a position she has held since 1993. She is a small business owner as well. Smolinski earned a BS in Journalism from Bowling Green. On her campaign website Smolinski details her position on four issues. Here are excerpts:

• Our Economy: "The 2010 census shows that people are leaving our region to find economic opportunities elsewhere. In fact, companies are leaving our state, and taking jobs, in record numbers. I believe we need to create a business climate that allows us to recruit companies from other states, adding jobs and opportunities for our residents."
  • State Finances: "In Roselle, we already have trimmed costs. We are currently looking at every service we provide and asking the tough questions: Is the service needed and at what level? Is the way we provide this service cost-effective? Can we use technology to help lower costs? I believe the State of Illinois should have begun this same vetting process the first time it could not make its pension payments, or became behind in paying its obligations."
  • Local Issues: "Support the recent Busse Woods dam study," "Advocate for a full Elgin O'Hare-Western Bypass project," "Fight against adding a "value tax" on the communities of Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Roselle, Wood Dale, Itasca and Hanover Park to pay for the Elgin O'Hare improvements."
  • Regional Issues: " Protecting our local government distributive funds (LGDF)," "Public pension reform," "Reject unfunded mandates," "Interest arbitration improvements," "Prevent foreclosures and protect neighborhoods"

Does anyone have any idea as to what either O'Donnell or Smolinski's stance on 2A and firearms owners rights?

thanks,

mack

Does anyone have any idea as to what either O'Donnell or Smolinski's stance on 2A and firearms owners rights?

Somebody spent a little time doing a survey for Illinois Carry that would answer that question.

Mr. O'Donnell and Senator Kotowski did not respond to the survey.

Ms. Smolinski not only responded but spent a great deal of time on the phone expounding on her support for right to carry. I believe there is another IC member who an vouch for her 2A support but I'll let him speak for himself.

Archived