What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

C0untZer0

Need some help from you guys. My mother is about to move into her new condo and she has underground garage parking. I need to get her some sort of defense. There's no way in heck I can convince her into buying a gun. Her 70th bday is coming up next month and I want to get her an auto knife to go along with her OC spray.

If you guys could suggest something I would really appreciate it. I'm not trying to spend more than 50 bucks (if possible), and needs to have a simple operation.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that I'd be recommending a knife for self defense to a 70 year old woman (or man for that matter) especially if they have physical limitations that come with advanced age. A knife is definitely an "up close and personal" weapon and I'm not sure an older person would be able to use one effectively. Reminds me of the old saying that a .22 for self defense beats a sharp stick. Maybe in this case a sharp stick would be better than a knife, not that I'm recommending this of course. Certainly an auto opener is better than nothing. Your question did make me stop and think about what type of weapon an older person (who doesn't want a gun) should have for SD. OC spray is certainly one or perhaps a stun gun type weapon (would need a FOID I believe). I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be very interested in other ideas.

My mom is pretty grimey. She would have no problem attacking someone that threatens her. She gets it from the old country. You should see how she would beat my a** with a ladle lol. I think she'll be fine with a knife. If I knew she couldn't handle it I wouldn't get her one.

I certainly didn't mean to imply you hadn't thought this out. Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm sure many older people would have no problem using a knife for SD or even their fists if push came to shove. It just made me wonder about SD for older people who may not be in great shape.

Need some help from you guys. My mother is about to move into her new condo and she has underground garage parking. I need to get her some sort of defense. There's no way in heck I can convince her into buying a gun. Her 70th bday is coming up next month and I want to get her an auto knife to go along with her OC spray.

If you guys could suggest something I would really appreciate it. I'm not trying to spend more than 50 bucks (if possible), and needs to have a simple operation.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that I'd be recommending a knife for self defense to a 70 year old woman (or man for that matter) especially if they have physical limitations that come with advanced age. A knife is definitely an "up close and personal" weapon and I'm not sure an older person would be able to use one effectively. Reminds me of the old saying that a .22 for self defense beats a sharp stick. Maybe in this case a sharp stick would be better than a knife, not that I'm recommending this of course. Certainly an auto opener is better than nothing. Your question did make me stop and think about what type of weapon an older person (who doesn't want a gun) should have for SD. OC spray is certainly one or perhaps a stun gun type weapon (would need a FOID I believe). I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be very interested in other ideas.

My mom is pretty grimey. She would have no problem attacking someone that threatens her. She gets it from the old country. You should see how she would beat my a** with a ladle lol. I think she'll be fine with a knife. If I knew she couldn't handle it I wouldn't get her one.

Not sure you will get the quality you want for defending yourself at a $50 price point.

That's my concern. Maybe I can bump up to 100. But it doesn't need to be very high quality. I just want her to have something in her hand after she has to spray someone and run away. And a knife that she can deploy by just flipping a switch would be ideal.

Thanks!

I certainly didn't mean to imply you hadn't thought this out. Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm sure many older people would have no problem using a knife for SD or even their fists if push came to shove. It just made me wonder about SD for older people who may not be in great shape.

No biggie ming. Totally Understandable

That's my concern. Maybe I can bump up to 100. But it doesn't need to be very high quality. I just want her to have something in her hand after she has to spray someone and run away. And a knife that she can deploy by just flipping a switch would be ideal.

An HK branded made by Benchmade as a posibility. HK knives are no longer made as the contract with BM expired and most are no longer in stock. Its sub 3 inch blade gets around some community blade length issues. It has a lock as well. Marked down to 99.99.

Do you want a lock? If so, on spine or side? Type of blade? Blade length? Type of material? Nothing is ever easy, is it? ;-)

https://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-Mini-Entourage-Automatic-Knife--33755

And GPknives also has "Free Ground Shipping on all domestic orders over $99" My postage at AIK was USPS, $10 (probably because signature needed.)

For future reference, how were your dealings with GPkinives? For warranty work, can you send an automatic knife to them so they can send it to the manufacturer for the warranty work? Then will GPknives accept delivery of the repaired automatic knife from the manufacturer and send it to you? Thanks

I didn't have any trouble at all with them. Made the order and they shipped it out PDQ. As far as the warranty work , I can't tell you. I wasn't worried about it because I figured if a $100.00 knife messed up I would just buy another.

Makes sense. I called them a couple weeks before the bill was signed with that same question. The guy that answered didn't know but asked me to call back. I'll do that now.

The person at GPknives told me they would intervene for automatic knife warranty service of accepting knife shipment from customer, sending it to manufacturer, receiving fixed knife shipment from manufacture, and sending fixed knife to customer. They would only charge for their shipping charges if the automatic knife was bought from GPKnives.

Thanks!

Ok, I'll take a "stab" at it. I have very expensive automatic knifes ... but the one I use for daily carry lately is the Boker Kalashnikov. Not the mini ... the XL. Bladeops.com offers free shipping on ALL orders. WARNING: it doesn't have a safety, so your mother will have to understand and learn how to safely carry it ... otherwise she'll be in for a nasty surprize when she reaches into her purse for her lipstick.

I really like the knife. It opens with a resounding clunk and would surely make most muggers think twice about approaching her in the parking garage. Please make sure she has lots of practice pulling out and deploying the knife from where ever she wants to carry it.

Some here may poo-poo the knife because it's a "CONVERSION" NOT AN AUTOMATIC MADE BY THE FACTORY .... meaning the knife is converted to automatic by a third party. But I gotta tell you, I have several more expensive factory-made auto's that aren't as impressive as this knife. Your opinion might be different, but hey, you're only out $49 bucks

https://www.bladeops.com/Boker-Exclusive-XL-Kalashnikov-Auto-Knife-AUS-8-B-p/bokkals302.htm

On second thought, the XL might be too big ... so go for the one in the middle of their line-up.

https://www.bladeops.com/Boker-Mossy-Oak-Camo-Kalashnikov-74-Auto-Knife-Bl-p/bokkals74-13n.htm

Have that one and like it a lot also!

>>>The person at GPknives told me they would intervene for automatic knife warranty service

Good to know! I've purchased several knives from them. Actually asked my wife to drive down to St. Louis for lunch a month ago. It's about three hours away from our house. On the drive down, there I said "hey, do you mind if I make a stop?" Really close to St. Louis, just off I-55. I plan on taking her to lunch down there again, soon! Honestly, if you are a knife collector, make a roadtrip to GPKNIVES. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! And since my wife was by my side, she actually encouraged me to spend more money than I had anticipated ... so it was all good.

Thanks!

+1 on OC. You can't get yourself murdered with OC, which is a big consideration for folks who do not wish to become proficient with a weapon. OC is reasonably effective.

Please excuse my bluntness.

Makes sense. I called them a couple weeks before the bill was signed with that same question. The guy that answered didn't know but asked me to call back. I'll do that now.

The person at GPknives told me they would intervene for automatic knife warranty service of accepting knife shipment from customer, sending it to manufacturer, receiving fixed knife shipment from manufacture, and sending fixed knife to customer. They would only charge for their shipping charges if the automatic knife was bought from GPKnives.

This is good news. Thanks for calling OMV. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

+1 on OC. You can't get yourself murdered with OC, which is a big consideration for folks who do not wish to become proficient with a weapon. OC is reasonably effective.

Please excuse my bluntness.

I seem to recall a statement regarding knife fights that stuck with me...both parties should expect to bleed!

I always have had a pocket knife of some type on me since a youth. Im still a tad cautious with the autos given the patchwork of laws and probably more inclined to carry a spring assist more than auto.

For OC, Ive gone with Fox Labs, but thats a different topic

An HK branded made by Benchmade as a posibility. HK knives are no longer made as the contract with BM expired and most are no longer in stock. Its sub 3 inch blade gets around some community blade length issues. It has a lock as well. Marked down to 99.99.

Do you want a lock? If so, on spine or side? Type of blade? Blade length? Type of material? Nothing is ever easy, is it? ;-)https://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-Mini-Entourage-Automatic-Knife--33755

This is why I asked here. I started searching for stuff online and quickly got overwhelmed, and then started thinking about getting myself one lol.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks!

Ok, I'll take a "stab" at it. I have very expensive automatic knifes ... but the one I use for daily carry lately is the Boker Kalashnikov. Not the mini ... the XL. Bladeops.com offers free shipping on ALL orders. WARNING: it doesn't have a safety, so your mother will have to understand and learn how to safely carry it ... otherwise she'll be in for a nasty surprize when she reaches into her purse for her lipstick.

I really like the knife. It opens with a resounding clunk and would surely make most muggers think twice about approaching her in the parking garage. Please make sure she has lots of practice pulling out and deploying the knife from where ever she wants to carry it.

Some here may poo-poo the knife because it's a "CONVERSION" NOT AN AUTOMATIC MADE BY THE FACTORY .... meaning the knife is converted to automatic by a third party. But I gotta tell you, I have several more expensive factory-made auto's that aren't as impressive as this knife. Your opinion might be different, but hey, you're only out $49 bucks

https://www.bladeops.com/Boker-Exclusive-XL-Kalashnikov-Auto-Knife-AUS-8-B-p/bokkals302.htm

On second thought, the XL might be too big ... so go for the one in the middle of their line-up.

https://www.bladeops.com/Boker-Mossy-Oak-Camo-Kalashnikov-74-Auto-Knife-Bl-p/bokkals74-13n.htm

Thanks for the links Tod, I like boker. I have one of their hatchets I use in the yard and take camping. I like it a lot. I think I'm gonna pick up 2 of the xl version. Not bad for 50 bucks

Thanks!

Thanks for the links Tod, I like boker. I have one of their hatchets I use in the yard and take camping. I like it a lot. I think I'm gonna pick up 2 of the xl version. Not bad for 50 b

Sorry! Just realized what I posted was for an assisted opener.

I just bought a auto Schrade from BladeHQ. I called them up to see how to send them a copy of my FOID and explain the new Illinois law. The guy on the phone told me to call my local police and double check that autos were legal and just to order online and everything i would need would be there. So i attempted it and i got stuck at the 4 questions so i just check marked the one that mentions something about militia and it the order went through. To be honest i think you could live in California and click any of the 4 boxes and they would send you an auto knife and they just leave it up to you to make sure it's legal.

I am selling Benchmade now and I am having trouble keeping them in stock. They are flying off the shelves. I have an OTF and have been cutting open boxes for weeks with it and can still shave with it. They are truly amazing. With their Lifesharp program it makes it a no brainer for me!!

Just picked up a Benchmade Mini-Reflex 2 - looks and feels great. Bought it at Northwestern Cutlery in Chicago - no questions asked and $58 under Benchmade's list price.

Interesting alternative to mail order. Did you buy the Mini-Reflex in the store? If so, how much sales tax did you pay (including Chicago "penalties") Thanks

Just picked up a Benchmade Mini-Reflex 2 - looks and feels great. Bought it at Northwestern Cutlery in Chicago - no questions asked and $58 under Benchmade's list price.

Interesting alternative to mail order. Did you buy the Mini-Reflex in the store? If so, how much sales tax did you pay (including Chicago "penalties") Thanks

Good question, left the receipt at home, I'll let you know. Sales tax is 10% - no shipping fees and barely any gas to get there.

Travelling next week to goofy CA so I will carry my backup Spyderco there - don't want to take a chance that my new knife falls into liberal hands.

Kind of funny that brick and mortar shopping is now an alternative to mail order - was the reverse not so long ago. For this kind of purchase, I really like to feel it in my hands and this shop has every Benchmade on display.

Good question, left the receipt at home, I'll let you know. Sales tax is 10% - no shipping fees and barely any gas to get there.

Travelling next week to goofy CA so I will carry my backup Spyderco there - don't want to take a chance that my new knife falls into liberal hands.

Kind of funny that brick and mortar shopping is now an alternative to mail order - was the reverse not so long ago. For this kind of purchase, I really like to feel it in my hands and this shop has every Benchmade on display.

Me too. Especially with weapons. Thanks for the info.

'Just' the 10% sales tax - no extras. $3.50 to sharpen my Spyderco - usually do it myself but hard to pass up such a pro job, Sticking with the Benchmades now.

Big fan of Law Weapons - really looking forward to the opening of their super-range/store.
Not to derail the topic, but more info on new store/range? I had heard that mentioned a couple years back but, like so many times at various LGS, nothing further.

Big fan of Law Weapons - really looking forward to the opening of their super-range/store.
Not to derail the topic, but more info on new store/range? I had heard that mentioned a couple years back but, like so many times at various LGS, nothing further.

I believe my dedicated client status got me an investor prospectus from them and that had some great details including floor plans. Spending the next day or so with my Dad in the hospital but I will take a look and if not Confidential, I could forward it on to you - PM me?

I do remember comparing it to Disneyland with Loud Noises.

• 3 weeks later...
Congratulations. Still one of the most beautiful knives after these years (I have a 110.) And now updated in place with newest technology! I don't know anybody who has this automatic yet. Will it be your EDC? Have you ever carried any other automatics before? I'd be interested in your review in a few months if you don't mind.

I have to come up with a sheath that will work without a belt. I don't wear belts normally and usually carry in back pocket, been carrying the Case equivalent of the 110 and recently went with a cheap spring assist for one handed opening.

Without a functional safety I would not feel comfortable carrying in a pocket. The actuator button is somewhat recessed but it still releases with relatively light pressure. It's surprisingly sharp and would rather not have a flesh test performed on the buttocks or leg with front pocket carry.

Archived