Glock 26 vs. XD subcompact 9mm for CCW

wilessiuc

I have several XD's. I've made several 1000 round sessions, and all without a single hickup - in fact, my XDm is approaching 7000 rounds without a single hickup.

Personally, I prefer the grip safety of the XD, and the grip angle suits me better than the glock.

That said, I've not seen nearly as many problems with the glock as I hear about on the internet... I have no problems with glocks - but if given a choice between glock and XD, I'll take the XD.

One handed rack on an XD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow8W4UdQUBg

No matter what gun you choose - you'll still have to practice one handed operation. The extent of difficulty is debatable, I guess.

I own both. They are both very nice firearms and both of mine have been reliable and problem free. The Glock 26 is just a little bit smaller in the grip area and holds a little less in the magazine. I carry (when I can legally) and shoot the Glock 26 a lot more. YMMV. The best thing you can do is go to a local range and rent both. See which fits your hand better and which you enjoy shooting the best. It is worth it.

The XD subcompact. I feel it is a bit safer then the Glock due to a few instances in which Glocks have gone off accidently where the XD really has to be gripped to do so. I carry differntly depending, I might use the XD or my P-11. Being here in Texas I went to a wheelgun, a 44 bulldog stubbie. I have had a couple of these over the years and I just love the 44, have three of them. A month ago a friend came over and asked me to look at his new gun. He wanted a 44 but this Colt SSA was a 44-40, I looked and my eyes got big. Turns out it is an orginal 1883 Colt New Frontier Six Shooter and in great shape. Value anywhere from $2k to up to $10k. He had no idea, he paid $150 for it. lol he is hanging on to it unless someone comes up with some cash...

I've had all 3 and have carried all 3 in other states. Out of the three, the G26 is the easiest and most comfortable to conceal. As for what feels best in the hand, the PX4sc wins hands down. The XDsc is not a bad gun.....I've owned 3 of them so I know they are great pieces. The problem about them is that they're chunkier then the Service and Tactical by having a thicker slide to keep the reliability factor. The bore axis is higher then the other 2 models so shootablity is at the bottom of the list as well.

Now the PX4sc feels better in the hand due to the ergos and proper checkering on the grip and backstrap. The Glock and XD have a less aggressive, almost smooth texture on the grips which could get slippery in no time. The Concealable Control GAP plates for the G26 negate the need for grip tape or pinky extensions. Overall decision is up to the end user and if you can rent all three, do so before purchasing. If I was offered only one of them, I'd go with the G26.

So many nice small 9mm out now to limit your choices to these two as both of your choices are rather big for 9mm carry standards now. If I didn't already have the Ruger LCP for everyday carry I'd be rocking a Ruger LC9 or new Beretta Nano.

If I had to choose between the two you have mentioned I'd take the Glock.

Archived