Illinois Firearm Control Card In Place of 4 Hour Refresher Course

mtl1969

I forgot to renew my CCL when it expired in March (I know I am an idiot) and did not know about the additional 4 hour training they now want. I have heard many different responses about using your Firearm Control Card (tan card for armed security) issued by the IDFPR it place of the training. I have a FCC card from a company I used to work for but it says in the IDFPR database that I returned it but with an expiration date in 2021. Will that card count even though I returned it? I still have the training just not the tan card. I also heard you can still carry while your application is under review. But my problem is my application was rejected due to not enough classroom hours/training so I re-applied with my previous tan card and it is under review again. Am I good? Thanks.

First off, I'm not a lawyer, so this is just my opinion.

I believe to meet the requirements for renewal, you must have taken the 4 hour course and passed the live fire test. Other training counts towards the 16 hour training, not the 4-hour training.

Since you don't meet the requirements to renew (in my opinion), then you don't meet the requirements of the law to be eligible to continue to carry. If you met all the requirements and was just waiting for validation, then you would met the law and be eligible to continue to carry.

"A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act."

Here is the section that deals with prior training and as you see it references the 16 hours:

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001231ZZ9996BR.html

Renewal is 3 hour training requirement, not 4.

Training credits apply toward initial training requirement, not renewal.

3 hour renewal training accepted if you renew before your license expires. If you apply before your expiration date, your license stays valid until approval decision on the renewal application.

If you allow your license to expire without submitting your application to renew, your license becomes invalid. If you want a valid license again, you need to repeat the 16 hour training and submit a new application.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I believe the Tan Card must be currently active - you must be currently employed - in order to use it as an exemption for training. The ISP has been interpreting the following to mean currently employed.

or a person who has completed the required training and has been issued a firearm control card by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation shall be exempt from the requirements of this Section.

It's possible the training course you took has been approved by the ISP for 4-8 hrs. credit, but you would have to check. You are not legal to carry at this point.

Archived