Lost FOID card ... Options until I get a new card?

DG53

I lost my wallet last week. In addition to cash and credit cards, my FOID card was in the wallet too. I have already submitted an application for a new one, but was wondering if I have any options until it arrives. I have a color photo copy of the card, but I doubt that will work anywhere for classes or on a range. I was hoping to take an Illinois conceal carry class soon and of course I can't buy ammo or firearms until the new card arrives. I have read that calling your state representative may help speed up the process. Any other advice (other than not lose your wallet)? What a pain it has been. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Actually, gun ranges you don't need a FOID card. The problem you could have is transporting your weapon/ammo to the gun range or buying more ammo.

Most online stores requires you to send them a copy for ammo purchases, so since you have a copy that would solve that yet you still have an issue of transporting your guns/ammo. I don't know if officers would accept a copy if they stopped you since they would still be able to validate via their computers.

Depends on the range. The indoor ones by me require an FOID or you have to be with someone that has an FOID. Hopefully, you called the ISP and reported it lost/stolen? I went through pretty much the same thing last year when my van was broken into while I was out running. Learned my lesson, just take my license and insurance card, leave everything else at home. It also prompted us to make sure the wife had her FOID. She had one, let it expire and never got around to getting a new one. I left everything locked up in the safe for the 5 weeks it took to get the replacement card.

I lost my wallet last week. In addition to cash and credit cards, my FOID card was in the wallet too. I have already submitted an application for a new one, but was wondering if I have any options until it arrives. I have a color photo copy of the card, but I doubt that will work anywhere for classes or on a range. I was hoping to take an Illinois conceal carry class soon and of course I can't buy ammo or firearms until the new card arrives. I have read that calling your state representative may help speed up the process. Any other advice (other than not lose your wallet)? What a pain it has been. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Do you have a copy of the application for new FOID? That, and the copy of your previous FOID should convince most folks that your story is legit.

You can contact the instructor you wanted to use to ask of you can take the course using your photocopy FOID.

You can always have a friend buy you ammunition (it would not be considered a straw purchase because you indeed have been issued a valid FOID card)

Buying guns might present a problem ... but surely you have a handgun you could use in a carry class ... or could borrow one.

And as for transporting guns/ammo ... don't sweat it. You know that you've been issued a valid FOID, and you know that you've applied for a replacement. Just use that photocopy in the meantime. If you are questioned, have the officer run your FOID number and they will know it's valid.

Do you have a copy of the application for new FOID? That, and the copy of your previous FOID should convince most folks that your story is legit.

You can contact the instructor you wanted to use to ask of you can take the course using your photocopy FOID.

You can always have a friend buy you ammunition (it would not be considered a straw purchase because you indeed have been issued a valid FOID card)

Buying guns might present a problem ... but surely you have a handgun you could use in a carry class ... or could borrow one.

And as for transporting guns/ammo ... don't sweat it. You know that you've been issued a valid FOID, and you know that you've applied for a replacement. Just use that photocopy in the meantime. If you are questioned, have the officer run your FOID number and they will know it's valid.

I wonder if that is legal. The last thing you want is get caught carrying guns and ammo when you don't have a FOID card. Weather the police accept the photocopy and the application for a new one is perhaps up to each officer. You get someone having a bad day and you are in a heap of trouble.

Just wait for the new one. As far as training for CCW is concerned find an instructor who will accept the photocopy and a copy of your application. You don't need a FOID card to shoot at a range as long as you are with someone who has a FOID card. So you can complete the training.

If I recall correctly, legally all he has to do is have been issued a valid FOID to be "legal".

You cannot really do much about it being gone other than applying for a replacement and waiting it out.

No gun store is going to sell you guns or ammo on a copy though, at least they should not.

The law specifically provides that ammo dealers can ship ammo to you though if you provide a copy of your FOID and DL.

There is no law that I know of that requires a range to see your FOID card before you are allowed to shoot there. That is a range policy. As a private business they are entitled to set whatever rules they want to.

If I recall correctly, legally all he has to do is have been issued a valid FOID to be "legal".

You cannot really do much about it being gone other than applying for a replacement and waiting it out.

No gun store is going to sell you guns or ammo on a copy though, at least they should not.

The law specifically provides that ammo dealers can ship ammo to you though if you provide a copy of your FOID and DL.

There is no law that I know of that requires a range to see your FOID card before you are allowed to shoot there. That is a range policy. As a private business they are entitled to set whatever rules they want to.

There someone that gets it !!!!

That's why I keep two FOID cards.

How do you do that? Don't they issue new numbers each time a card is issued voiding the first one?

For the OP, I'd be comfortable possessing the firearms in my home with the photocopy, depending on location I would use caution on transport using it(no way in Chicago area) you might get out of the fine but may lose your guns without suit and most training I don't believe you need a FOID unless you are required to bring and use your own equipment. If you're in a gun friendlier locale I'd call the local PD and ask about transport and such with a photocopy.

I have scanned my card incase I lose it. I know legally it doesn't mean squat, but if for some reason I ever need the foid card I figure most police officers will accept a scanned copy with a copy of my dated application for a replacement foid card.

Every range here by me requires at least one shooter in each stall has a foid card. They will usually allow one or two shooters without foid cards per foid card holder. Short answer is you're going to have to visit the range with a buddy.

It only takes a few seconds for a police officer to run a FOID check. It can be done at the same time as the driver's license check but must be requested.

Beat me to it.

While you're not technically "in possession" of a valid FOID, you are not revoked or expired.

Most cops - CAGE and CCSD gun units aside - should be good with it.

I call it "Illinois Gun Owner's Syndrome" ... the heightened sense of worry (and sometimes paranoia) possessed by many Illinois gun owners. I used to have a mild case of it ... it's a bit like cancer. Comes from being long subjected to harsh anti-gun laws nearly as long as many of you have been alive, from being subjected to the gun-hater's messages week, after month, after year, and from being blamed and shamed for urban violence because you dare own guns or support gun-rights groups. Many of those laws are arguably ineffective at making society safer ... but they are extremely effective at making gun owners paranoid, worrisome, and feeling far more like subjects that citizens.

Resist.

I call it "Illinois Gun Owner's Syndrome" ... the heightened sense of worry (and sometimes paranoia) possessed by many Illinois gun owners. I used to have a mild case of it ... it's a bit like cancer. Comes from being long subjected to harsh anti-gun laws nearly as long as many of you have been alive, from being subjected to the gun-hater's messages week, after month, after year, and from being blamed and shamed for urban violence because you dare own guns or support gun-rights groups. Many of those laws are arguably ineffective at making society safer ... but they are extremely effective at making gun owners paranoid, worrisome, and feeling far more like subjects that citizens.

Resist.

Given the language of the statute:

No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

as well as the eagerness with which gun crimes are enforced (at least against the otherwise law-abiding - they're too busy for the thugs and gang bangers) can you blame us?

This situation reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. It's by a guy named Kris Kristofferson.

"Tell the truth, stand your ground, and don't let the [bastages] get you down."

So yes, I can "blame" you ... if only in a philosophical or esoteric sort of way. Please don't take it the wrong way ... the last thing we need is more infighting amongst gun owners. Basically, what I am trying to say is to follow the law as good as you can, but don't worry yourself in circles about it. If you do ... the other side is winning a victory. Stand tall ... it's your right, and the right is fundamental.

That's why I keep two FOID cards.

Isn't one expired, thus invalid? Just looking out, unless they sent you a replacement for a card you lost, but "suddenly" found? Just curious, as I'd like to have two cards as well.

Got my original in my wallet, got a scanned copy on my phone and laptop at home and a paper copy in my firearms folder at home. Same with my cc permits, CCs and other relevant IDs.

Take it for what it's worth but I lost mine several years ago.Like a good little subject I reported it lost to ISP.The ISP entered it as lost/stolen and then I asked them if I was valid until my new app was processed.The officer at the FOID# told me "as of now you do not have a valid FOID until you get your new card in your hand".He thanked me for reporting it and said he was sorry but that was the law.

As to a CCW class, you're not required to have an FOID to take the class. However, since you don't have the FOID in your possession, you could use an instructor's (or other student's) firearm and ammunition for the range qualification. We get this question everyday.

Archived