Legalities of gun in bug out bag

robb01

So I'm starting to assemble my bug out bag. I'm wanting to include my Sig 556 with folding stock in the bag, but have some questions.

I'll mainly have this in my truck, so that when SHTF I will have the necessities available to me to get back to my BOL. I know you can transport an unloaded rifle in a case in Illinois, but would a bag behind the seat constitute a case? Also, would having loaded magazines in the same bag be an issue?

Example image:

http://www.armorytechairsoft.com/1173-3116-thickbox/swat-cordura-tactical-long-rifle-backpack-digital-marpat.jpg

Based on the picture that would be illegal transport. "Enclosed" is one keyword.

Legal IL transport: www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

Just because you're legal doesnt mean you cant be arrested, and because you follow state law doesn't mean you aren't in violation of any local ordinances. Know where you're gonig, and be aware of so called "Police Discretion". You may wish to find a good gun lawyer to consult, and keep their number on hand.

Based on the picture that would be illegal transport. "Enclosed" is one keyword.

Legal IL transport: www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

Just because you're legal doesnt mean you cant be arrested, and because you follow state law doesn't mean you aren't in violation of any local ordinances. Know where you're gonig, and be aware of so called "Police Discretion". You may wish to find a good gun lawyer to consult, and keep their number on hand.

That picture was a bad example, I know the rifle needs to be encased. So I was going to make a cover for the barrel end that sticks out, which would make it encased.

Digital camo screams steal me.

A gun barrel protruding from the end of the pack (even with cover) is pretty obvious.

Any criminal who sees this set up will want to steal it.

Any cop who sees this set up will want to investigate / see it.

Stored in a trunk, out of sight, is much better than behind the seat of your pickup.

If it must go inside the pickup (no trunk) then I might suggest a different style of bag.

Maybe a baseball / softball carrying case?

post-2983-13315670745.jpg

post-2983-133156708253.jpg

In 'bugging out" discussions, most of the "experts" agree that the best way to proceed is the "gray man philosophy", that is, make yourself so untoticeable that no one will pay any attention to you.

So, carrying anything that makes you stand out (anything in any type of camo, any sign of weapons showing knives or long guns visable pistols) would all be a bad thing. I personally believe that a firearm shoiuld be the last consideration for a bug out bag. My wife and are frequently out west in National Parks/Forests and we have bags that contain quite a bit of basic survival gear using the "shelter, food, water, fire, injury, signal" as the basic requirement and those same bags would last us for several days if we lost our house to a fire or tornado or something. I think anyone that doesn't have some basic necessities with them when they t5ravel are making would could turn out to be a serious mistake.

In you case, a rifle that would fit into a non-descript carry bag would probably be better. Something like a Kel Tec Sub 2000 which would be my choice.

There was a good story just posted on the Survivalist Boards called "going home" where the writer has to make it to his home from several hundred miles away during a Coronal Mass Ejection power outage. The rough draft is completely on line and I put the link down below. I do not think you have to register to view the threads. While reading the story (one chapter at a time) there is a very lively discussion going on about similar topics concerning bug out bags and you actually learn a lot from the various commentaries while you are reading the story. I would suspect that the story will be taken off pretty soon so read it now. The author is publishing the story.

Going Home

Maybe an AR Pistol would help?

post-3640-133159101925.jpg

Sorry about the thread jack... a good friend of mine has one of those (Olympic Arms OA93). I nearly bought one as well..... until I spent some time with his at the range. Very loud, very finicky, and for what it is.... very overpriced. Still fun at the range, but probably the last thing I'd throw in a BOB.

To the original post: There's plenty of great packs out there, such as this Eberlestock (but you're gonna pay for it): http://www.botachtactical.com/ebgullba.html

But, I agree with Bud 100%.... inconspicuous/gray man is the way to go. A pack like that will definitely draw unwanted attention.

Edited to add link.

I think enclosing it in a gun sock that is than tied off would satsify the current state laws as far as transporting.

Keep in mind that it would likely still be illegal to just have it on any property supported in any way to any degree by public funds. That covers a lot of ground.

There are also a lot of local ordinances that might well make this illegal.

I would not want something that obvious where it was readily stolen.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that a firearm is not part of a BOB. I think it is a seperate issue entirely. Really, if you are going to have to bug out, you will need somewhere to bug out to and none of the public shelters are going to let you have any kind of weapon at all.

YMMV.

There was a gentleman that I believe was from western IL that tried the gun sock thing and it was confiscated and he had charges against him too. I think I heard him as a caller on a podcast, but I'm not certain. It was a year or two ago. Sorry I can't get point to the specifics. I wouldn't test that theory, but that is just me.

Opted to just go with a handgun, more practical and easier to conceal

http://i.imgur.com/cxO0M.jpg

Suggestions.

!. take the MREs out of the cardboard and put them in a double lock freezer bag.

2. Grab a couple of plumbers candles and out them in a ziplock bag also.

3.You need a poncho for shelter from the rain, for a ground cover, for a blanker, for a tent and if you wear one with the hood up, sit on the ground indian style and light a plumber's candle and stand it up between your legs with the poncho on, it will raise the interior temp to plus sixty degrees in about one hour.

4. Get at least 100 feet of 550 paracord and a small roll of duct tape (or the 90 mph variety in colors).

5.You can make great fire starters using lint from your dryer combined with candle wax.

6.Think about ditching the flashlight using CR123s for one using AA or even AAA.(much easier to find replacements)

7.I see your contact lenses so you need spare framed eyeglasses.

8.Think about signaling. You can get a pretty good mirror cheaply but also signal smoke and cheap flares at any boat store (or even WalMart).

9.You should have some kind of oil/cleaning supplies for the pistol. At least gun oil because the weather gets bad eventually.

10.You can get a pretty good very small/light solar panel that can recharge your cell phone fairly cheaply.

11. you also need a comnpass and a map and/or a handheld gps.

12. You will be amazed at how many uses you can find for a small/medium bath towel

13. You need some kind of bandana. When I was Infantry, we always used the military sling which ends up having a million uses besides proving that "tacticool" look when worn around the head

14. You can buy antibiotics on the web. All fish supply houses sell the exact same antibiotics that humans use. (Search google to verify that) and you don't need a prescription

15. Small binocuilars or at least a monoculer or telescope.They don';t have to be high power.

16. There are some pretty good and not to expensive night vision opticals available now. A headset would be best but even a hand held could make the difference. Moving at nnight is much safer.

17. Extra socks, ditch your underwear and goi commando.

18. The baby wipes won't be enough. Carry a small bar of soap and a wash rag.

19. I see the stove but no pots. See if you can find a surplus GI canteen that comes with the steel cup and the reversable stove that it fits into. The cup mounts into the stove and you can put your fire inside the stove and use the cup as a cooking utensil. Ask any old time Infantry soldier, you can cook anything that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I see I'm going to need a bigger pack, lol. I did ditch the boxes for the MRE's. I've also re-assessed the needs for this bag. This bag is only meant to get me from my potentially immobilized vehicle from the furthest point I would normally travel from my BOL in a months time. Approximately 20 miles. It would hopefully only take me 48 hours tops to get to that BOL. I think the contents of the pack would be able to get me there.

One of the best FREE survival/bug out manual made. You can download it and print it out, it's 222 pages. http://survivalcache.com/book-review-lds-preparedness-manual/

When I lived in Rockford, I had bug out bags in the house, garage and a storage unit it rented. I had enough to last a month, the problem was where to go especially in the winter and how to survive. I would have headed west to a friend in Wyoming. We moved and are in the middle of nowhere Texas and need to bug out is way less. Twice this summer started to because of wild fires, but have fixed that now so even that is a mute point now.

This manual is awesome, not only does it cover bug out, which is smaller part of it but it covers all and I mean ALL aspectes fo survival for various sitution. Download a copy, put it next to your nightstand and read it at night. Mine is dogeared and this old Illinois farm boy, veteran sure learned a lot of invaluable information. Look it and and let me know what you you thin.

One of the best FREE survival/bug out manual made. You can download it and print it out, it's 222 pages. http://survivalcache...redness-manual/

When I lived in Rockford, I had bug out bags in the house, garage and a storage unit it rented. I had enough to last a month, the problem was where to go especially in the winter and how to survive. I would have headed west to a friend in Wyoming. We moved and are in the middle of nowhere Texas and need to bug out is way less. Twice this summer started to because of wild fires, but have fixed that now so even that is a mute point now.

This manual is awesome, not only does it cover bug out, which is smaller part of it but it covers all and I mean ALL aspectes fo survival for various sitution. Download a copy, put it next to your nightstand and read it at night. Mine is dogeared and this old Illinois farm boy, veteran sure learned a lot of invaluable information. Look it and and let me know what you you thin.

My LDS friends tell me this is not a \publication of thier Church but rather a document prepared by a small separate orthodox chapter. But it still has a lot of good information. Just don't take any of the religious discussion as LDS doctrine.

Yep, that's why I didn't post it as that. It's a real good, down to earth, common sense and things you wish you grandparents had taught you along with some great bug out info. One of the best there is.

Here Bud is what the website says that about that manual. Reading it no one will be unduly influenced that is unless they want to survive or prepare. Remember as a old timer here I am in no way trying to influeance anyone but in on thing...to survive.

The Disclaimer

First of all let me start off by saying again that SurvivalCache is free of politics, religion and of course it is free from advertisements. There are so many other sites that focus on those subjects that we decided to keep our site focused on Survival and Emergency Preparedness. We are not for or against any political party nor are we for or against any religion and for that reason we choose not to write on those topics. However, we are against advertisements and plan to stay that way.

When we do come across items that contain excellent information for our community, we don’t http://survivalcache.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/lds-family-gardening-emergency-preparedness.pngcare who wrote it or where it came from. The bottom line for us @ SurvivalCache is “Could this help one of our readers survive or be prepared for an emergency?” The LDS Preparedness Manual is an overwhelming “YES”.

There was a good story just posted on the Survivalist Boards called "going home" where the writer has to make it to his home from several hundred miles away during a Coronal Mass Ejection power outage. The rough draft is completely on line and I put the link down below. I do not think you have to register to view the threads. While reading the story (one chapter at a time) there is a very lively discussion going on about similar topics concerning bug out bags and you actually learn a lot from the various commentaries while you are reading the story. I would suspect that the story will be taken off pretty soon so read it now. The author is publishing the story.

Going Home

Thank you for posting that Bud. I've done more reading in the last 24hrs than I did in an entire semester in college.

Going Home

Thank you for posting that Bud. I've done more reading in the last 24hrs than I did in an entire semester in college.

Yeah that is a really great first book, isn't it? It is the first in a series of three. Did you see how many views it? The story ended a week ago and it is still piling on hits, over 500,000 now. Not bad for an internet forum thread.

Going Home

Same here, excellent story, am even going to order the hard copy from him

Archived