Gun Confiscation by local LE

JWS1989

Wow. They took your car keys from another location and went to your house and opened your safe. Thats great. The 911 call and police report should tell you if someone mentioned suicide. They cant just pull that out of their butt and go intomyour safe

That's the piece of the puzzle I don't have. I don't know what she told them, but she swears to me she never said the word suicide or mentioned me killing myself. She said I left the house, I may have a gun and she didn't want me to hurt myself. So a debate in semantics, suppose.

Sounds a lot like this could be taken as, "Possible Suicide", to me.

I agree. I assume the wife does not call 911 every time the husband leaves the house to go shopping. 911 call + he has a gun + may hurt himself = possible suicide.

I doubt that she was concerned that he was going to the range and might accidentally drop the gun on his foot.

My wife was doing what she thought was best, she isn't at fault here for anything.
She just like everyone else, has been brought up taught that police are here to

help. However, in this day and age that's not always the truth. Last time I checked,

"possible suicide" is the part where LE question both the RP and the Suspected

person, and they as well as the medical personnel assess the situation and make a

comprehensive judgement call based on both parties. In this particular case,

the City PD made no effort to speak with both parties, my wife said they immediately

went to the gun safe, trying to access it. Before I had been seen by the paramedics.

As I previously mentioned, it was foul enough that even the deputies would not engage

in the situation and advised me to contact an attorney. I also find it coincidental, if

suicide was their main concern, why they took every firearm, yet left all of my edged

weapons in the house.

Sounds like the OP needs to do what needs to be done to get his firearms back and then trade the wife in on a more dependable model.

Dude ... so unnecessary.

The point I was trying to make, which I will admit my original statement may be over the top, was even if she did nothing wrong, there will always be the lingering feeling that it could happen again, and that sets up a trust issue at least for me. I have spend most of my work career working around people that will bring you a lawnmower with a bent blade, bent crankshaft, and cracked engine block and then tell you with a straight face that they didn't hit the water meter in their front yard with their brand new just purchased that day push mower. After working with the general public most of your life were people will lie to your face on a daily basic it kind of sets up a situation where you never totally trust anyone.

Lesson here is to never call 911 unless absolute grave danger is present.

Talking in general over tones which may cause the 911 operator to react in a way as to go beyond what quite possibly should have been a discussion later that evening when he got home!

If you call 911 on someone, be sure you are ready to deal with the can of worms that you have now pried open.

Maybe like guns there should be a minimum waiting period before someone can call 911......

Archived