Illinois Rest Area Survey

David59

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-information/roadway-information/Rest-Areas-and-Welcome-Centers/index

The state of Illinois has a survey asking how they can improve rest areas. One of the questions allows you to add a comment. I asked for the law to be changed to allow a person with a carry permit to be able to carry in a rest area.

Done.

I don't expect them to push for concealed carry regardless of the number of comments they get, but it can't hurt I suppose as the bill for that has just been sitting.

I've stopped at a few in IL and they are mostly ok for a bathroom and stretch break, but they aren't as nice as the ones I recall stopping in travelling through IN, although it has been a while

Yea I took their "survey." Reminds me of a Cheri Bustos survey. "What do you want me to do?" then proceeds to ignore my requests (not like I'm the only constituent, but still....I'm the only one who wants her to do X? I HIGHLY doubt it). "What can we do for you? Oh, except that thing. And that other thing? Nope, can't do that either."

I believe this is somewhat relevant. ISP and Henry County SO arrested some trucker on 10/18 for discharging a firearm into the ground outside of a rest area off of 74W not too far from me.

http://wqad.com/2017/10/19/truck-driver-arrested-for-firing-gun-at-illinois-rest-stop/

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

A uear ago i stoped in at several I57 rest areas. None were posted.

They’re still prohibited by statute.

The official sign is the only thing I accept as giving me legal notice that I am persona non grata.

I just finished a five day visit to Cook county, enjoying my new CCL privileges, and carried everywhere, and did not see one gun sign, valid or not, except at a rest area on I-57. I get the impression that the general private business population is clueless or doesn't care. I don't recall seeing any signs. (I did not have occasion to visit any statutorily prohibited areas.)

full story at link

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20171028/illinois-gets-4500-responses-to-rest-area-survey

Illinois gets 4,500 responses to rest-area survey

CHICAGO — Illinois has received nearly 4,500 responses to its public survey asking about highway rest areas in less than two weeks.

The Illinois Department of Transportation launched the public survey to get feedback because the agency is considering how to rehab or possibly close some of those rest areas, the Chicago Tribune reported.

“Many of our rest areas have reached a point where it’s time to evaluate their future,” Illinois Transportation Secretary Randy Blankenhorn said.

The survey is part of a comprehensive rest area study that analyzes the existing system, IDOT spokeswoman Gianna Urgo said. A timeline of when rest stops may be rehabilitated won’t be determined until the entire study is completed, she said. The study will also look at costs of maintaining the rest areas compared to the services they provide.

“Once the data has been collected and analyzed, strategies can be made about the future of the rest area system,” Urgo said.

The official sign is the only thing I accept as giving me legal notice that I am persona non grata.

You still have a responsibility to know where is prohibited by statute. Not the kind of press we want or need.

You still have a responsibility to know where is prohibited by statute. Not the kind of press we want or need.

Getting robbed, shot, beat up, stabbed etc at a rest stop in the middle of the night is not what we want or need either.

One suggestion would be to reopen the rest stops currently shut down and overgrown with brush, weeds, debris and broken concrete. They'd have to lay off firefighters and LEOs to accomplish that since property owners refuse to pass further tax hikes and pay their "fair share".

I don't recall the rest stops in Missouri, however I do recall the ones in Indiana, Ky and Tenn as modern, clean and occasionally staffed with more than one person. There was no comparison.

There are a lot of behind the scenes dots to connect in order to make the case that rest areas are statutorily prohibited, as they're not specifically called out in the FCCA.

Most are probably referring to this as including the Department of Transportation, which is under the control of the Secretary of Transportation. I cannot find anything that specifically states that IDOT falls under either branch.

Sec 65 (3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a building under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted as established by the Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the Wildlife Code.

Others may also reason that, since bills have been introduced to statutorily allow CC in IDOT rest areas, they are included in statutory GFZs now.

There are a lot of behind the scenes dots to connect in order to make the case that rest areas are statutorily prohibited, as they're not specifically called out in the FCCA.

Most are probably referring to this as including the Department of Transportation, which is under the control of the Secretary of Transportation. I cannot find anything that specifically states that IDOT falls under either branch.

Sec 65 (3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a building under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted as established by the Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the Wildlife Code.

Others may also reason that, since bills have been introduced to statutorily allow CC in IDOT rest areas, they are included in statutory GFZs now.

This. Sucks, but the way to address this is with legislation, not pretending we don’t know about it.

Archived