Media coverage of IGOLD 2012

Molly B.

My dad called me from missouri this morning and said he saw it on the news this morning! i called some relatives here in chicagoland and they said they heard nothing about it!

Government censorship of media is a scary thing isn't it?

I wouldn't call this government censorship. However, most of the media outlets are liberal and complicit with the anti-gunners in power. ABC, NBC, CBS and WGN weren't told by the government not to cover this- they did it out of choice, reflecting their bias. If we had "Occupied" Springfield Wednesday and broken a few windows or crapped on a cop car, we would have gotten lots of coverage. Law-abiding gun owners don't do that, though.

At least there was a little coverage. I didn't see any on the news up here in Chicagoland. And of course they minimized the numbers again. How can such blatent bias continue to stand? :rolleyes:

I am having an e-mail exchange with a manager at the Tribune about their lack of coverage. We'll see if anything comes of it.

The "Concealed-Carry-Now Flash-Chant" of people on the railings of the several floors of the center rotunda of the Springfield Illinois Capitol Building was AWESOME !

Brilliant !!

Unlike the Flash-Mob attacks on Michigan Avenue this past summer, nobody got robbed, beaten, or assaulted, even though you people have guns. Shows a big difference between criminals and law-abiding citizens.

At least there was a little coverage. I didn't see any on the news up here in Chicagoland. And of course they minimized the numbers again. How can such blatent bias continue to stand? :rolleyes:

I am having an e-mail exchange with a manager at the Tribune about their lack of coverage. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Well the Tribune addressed my inquiry on Page 2 of today's edition. Needless to say it isn't a very satisfactory answer. To add insult to injury the photo they published in the online story is of a Union rally even though I supplied Mr. Janega with IGOLD photos.!

Trib Link

Reader question: When do decide to cover (or not cover) a rally at the state capitol?

Members of various unions rally against proposed pension legislation in the rotunda of the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield Wednesday, October 26, 2011. (E. Jason Wambsgans/ Chicago Tribune)

By Ray Long and James Janega

4:46 p.m. CDT, March 12, 2012

Readers who support specific causes often seek news coverage of their lobbying days in the state capitol. That can include gun rights, education initiatives, health care policies and much more.

Two readers, Charles Vandercamp and Louis J. Berardi, asked versions of the same question: How does the Tribune decide which to cover, and can anything be read into a decision to pass?

Reporters and editors talk often about those decisions. Springfield Bureau Chief Ray Long responds:

"The key to covering Springfield is that there is no hard-and-fast rule, which is what makes this the Greatest Beat on Planet Earth. On any given day, there can be multiple news conferences, multiple rallies, multiple committee meetings, a few good tips and dozens of votes on bills in the House and Senate. All of that is to say that few actual rallies get covered — let alone mentioned.

"One reason: rallies, though they are a great show of force for a specific cause, rarely have a major impact on how lawmakers vote on an issue. They give ralliers a great chance to button-hole a lawmaker to present a case for or against legislation, and they can build enthusiasm for an issue. But it’s a day-by-day, often moment-by-moment call on what gets covered among the numerous competing activities that people care about. Votes on major issues, for example, take precedence over a rally no matter how interesting to the crowd.

"But we do our best to deliver the news that has the most impact on our terrific family of readers."

If you have a question about how or why the Tribune does what it does, you can ask us at TribNation.com/Question.

-- James Janega, Trib Nation manager

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune

Well the Tribune addressed my inquiry on Page 2 of today's edition. Needless to say it isn't a very satisfactory answer. To add insult to injury the photo they published in the online story is of a Union rally even though I supplied Mr. Janega with IGOLD photos.!

Well, at least they responded. But I'm sure their bias for or against an issue has no impact...:rolleyes: Just like the bias from the media had no impact on how they cover the same issues (such as gas prices) under Obama (minimize the damage and the outrage) and Bush (blame him for everything).

Archived