• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Posted here:

https://www.saf.org/...-for-residents/

BELLEVUE, WA The Second Amendment Foundation and Illinois State Rifle Association have filed a lawsuit in federal district court challenging the East St. Louis Housing Authoritys (ESLHA) ban on firearms possession by residents of government subsidized housing in that community.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of an N. Doe resident who wishes to protect her identity, because she is, according to the lawsuit, hiding from a violent domestic abuser. Plaintiffs are represented by Glen Ellyn, Illinois attorney David Sigale, who has worked with both organizations in the past. They are asking for an injunction against enforcement of the no-guns rule at Auburn Terrace, a public housing facility.

This isnt the first time weve had to challenge such a regulation, said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. It is simply unacceptable for citizens living in public housing to be denied their basic right to have a firearm for personal protection, and in this case, it is unconscionable.

The complaint alleges that the plaintiffs rights are being violated under the Second and Fourteenth amendments due to a requirement that no firearms be possessed on the Auburn Terrace property as a condition of lease.

This situation is made even more outrageous considering what has happened to Ms. Doe while living at her home, Gottlieb noted, referring to the lawsuit document. Weve explained how she was beaten and raped in January 2017, and her children stopped the attack only by threatening to use a gun. On two other occasions, Ms. Doe had to call police due to shootings in nearby residences. When the housing authority threatened to terminate her lease due to the gun in her residence, they insisted that the building is safe, so she doesnt need a gun.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#2 papa

• Members
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Good to see this.

#3 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

"When the housing authority threatened to terminate her lease due to the gun in her residence, they insisted that the building is safe, so she doesn't need a gun."

I bet those same people saying that wouldn't live in that building or anywhere near that neighborhood if you payed them too.

Edited by mic6010, 09 March 2018 - 01:41 AM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#4 Just some guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

"When the housing authority threatened to terminate her lease due to the gun in her residence, they insisted that the building is safe, so she doesn't need a gun."

I bet those same people saying that wouldn't live in that building or anywhere near that neighborhood if you payed them too.

Great point. It would be interesting to see how many on the Housing Authority have firearms at their homes. Do as I say.......

Fast is fine, accurate is final.

#5 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

Reminds me of the Warren County case a while back. Errr uh wait it's identical to the Warren County case. Did they not get the memo? Broke municipalities shouldn't be enacting unconstitutional regulations. No municipality should but especially a broke one. Have fun defending this one.
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#6 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

They have been bantering about this case on the TV and radio news since Wednesday evening.

I wish the woman luck.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#7 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

She'll win.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” 
- Daniel Webster -

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule. 
- H. L. Mencken -

“Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."

#8 firepiper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Winbigler? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Winbigler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo! That's the Warren County case. I can see East STL doing this but it really surprised me when I found out Warren did this because...it's in the sticks (drove through there last night), biggest "city" is Monmouth and it isn't even a city. Village I think.

Edited by skinnyb82, 11 March 2018 - 01:02 PM.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#10 stm

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Winbigler was settled by mutual agreement in favor of the plaintiff. Both sides asked the judge to rule that the 2nd Amendment protected Mr. Winbigler's right to keep a firearm in his dwelling inside the public housing facility, but she declined because it wasn't necessary to the outcome.

Edited by stm, 12 March 2018 - 01:35 PM.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#11 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

As someone who has worked extensively with domestic violence victims training them for self-protection, restrictions like that are the height of idiocy in my view. A number of my trainees have used firearms to kill attackers over the years. Quite a few more have used firearms non-lethally, ranging from just showing their firearm to shooting but not killing attackers. Many of these people are minority or vulnerable groups who receive some sort of aid or subsidization of their residency.

If they didn't have firearms available to them, they literally would have been killed. So, what, would they have had to choose between dying and being allowed to have access to public housing?

Again, idiocy!

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 13 March 2018 - 04:06 PM.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#12 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

As someone who has worked extensively with domestic violence victims training them for self-protection, restrictions like that are the height of idiocy in my view. A number of my trainees have used firearms to kill attackers over the years. Quite a few more have used firearms non-lethally, ranging from just showing their firearm to shooting but not killing attackers. Many of these people are minority or vulnerable groups who receive some sort of aid or subsidization of their residency.

If they didn't have firearms available to them, they literally would have been killed. So, what, would they have had to choose between dying and being allowed to have access to public housing?

Again, idiocy!

This is why so many people truly believe our government wants us to die. I'm not gonna get into the overpopulation issues, that's back room stuff, but I just get this feeling that they're trying to cull the herd, so to speak. Disarm the most vulnerable people? Yes! Brilliant. While we're at it, let's cut mental health funding then harp about how we have no mental health system left. Yes, because you jackholes axed it. Gotta service those multimillion dollar pensions.

Edited by skinnyb82, 14 March 2018 - 07:34 AM.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#13 speedbump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

How soon people forget! Back in the 90s at the height of the crack wars (under the Clinton administration if memory serves) the U.S. Department of 'Justice' approved *WARRANTLESS SEARCHES* of select public housing units to seize any and all guns. They were actually doing them in some areas. An unlikely alliance of the ACLU and the good ol' NRA combined to file suit and end the practice. I had a terse, but respectful conversation with my Ops LT at the time when I was with the ISP. He mulled it over for a few seconds and agreed: the searches were unconstitutional, illegal, and orders to participate would NOT be followed by us.  Furthermore, officers participating in the illegal raids would be arrested for Conspiracy to Violate Civil Rights if they pulled that crap in our presence.

"J.J., you are an anomaly !" ~Mike Rowe~ aka: Mr. Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users