Trump Caves on Bump Stock Regulations

spec5

Preident Trump just signed a memorandum to propose regulations banning items that he described as turning firearms into automatic weapons. The new regulations will most certainly ban or regulate bump stocks even though that does not turn a rifle into an "automatic" weapon. So much for his speech to the NRA. - wait, the NRA caved on bump stocks also. The politicians are tripping over each other trying to get to microphones to declare how they now favor gun control. This next year or two is going to be pretty tough when 16 year olds are dictating firearm policy in the country and apparently there are no more than two or three truly conservative supreme court justices.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-orders-ban-on-bump-stocks-after-florida-school-shooting/article/2649551

President Trump said Tuesday he has asked the Justice Department to regular bump stocks, the firearms accessory that can be used to make semi-automatic weapons fire at a rate similar to automatic weapons........

Its not like you were not warned about donnie...what you think anybody from mar a lago gives a rats a** about us...i do luv the guy..but..like raygun in 86...there will be bans under donnie...i fully expect age limit raised before ban.. when you are dealing with parents who are dumber than a box of rocks (like floriduh)..this is the kinda **** we end up with..happi trails..god speed

regulate = ban

...""Just a few moments ago, I signed a memorandum directing the Attorney General to propose regulations to ban all devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns," Trump said. "I expect that these critical regulations will be finalized, Jeff, very soon."

Trump spoke immediately after White House press secretary Sarah Sanders indicated that a decision would be released this week to implement that order.

"I can tell you that the president supports not having the use of bump stocks, and that we expect further action on that in the coming days," Sanders told reporters at the White House. "The president doesn't support the use of those accessories.""...

I dont see this as a big deal. Considering if Hilary was president after the vegas massacre and now the Florida shooting she would of slammed the hammer down on us! Trumps got to give them something!

Trump is with us no doubt in my mind!

Trump doesn't have to give them anything, and if Hillary was pres, we'd at least be united against her.

I care, not because I really like bumpstocks but because of the precedent it sets. How far are the anti's going to run with this? Are competition triggers next?

I agree, as I don't use/wouldn't use a bump stock, but I don't think they should be regulated. The whole "give them an inch and they want to take a mile" thing.

"Shall not be infringed"..bump stocks and all.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, February 21, 2018 at 01:18 AM - Merged a Couple Topics
Hidden by mauserme, February 21, 2018 at 01:18 AM - Merged a Couple Topics
I could care less you can remove this one but mine does have a link.

Just listened to Durbin on WGN radio. His comment on Trump's bump stock ban was basically that it was meaningless. Listening to Durbin is a real exercise. He responded to a question in the positive and the next sentence from his lying mouth he went negative on the same issue. I know the Dems have some real scum in their ranks, but this guy is an expert dirtbag. Too bad he'll be in the senate for life.

Of course the jist of his comments was that Trump is bad news. My thinking is if the Dems don't like it, it's good for the rest of us.

It's a trickled downwards effect. It starts w/ the bump stocks then next in line will probably be the aftermarket triggers(ex: Giselle, cmc triggers,larue mfg, etc..) Look at Tim from military arms Instagram. He called it long time ago. He's uber p***** and he's going after the NRA plus all the contributors. First in his crosshairs is Midway USA donating for the majority of the NRA's Lapiere.

ETA, how did we evade any of this crap under obama and the dims, but now with republicans owning the white house and congress, we get gun control?

We evaded this crap because we were united against a common enemy. Now we've got a culture divided, resting on its laurels because we 'finally' got a 'pro-gun' president in the whitehouse. We're getting soft in peacetime guys!

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, February 21, 2018 at 01:18 AM - Merged a Couple Topics
Hidden by mauserme, February 21, 2018 at 01:18 AM - Merged a Couple Topics
You could merge mine into his fine with me or just hide mine.

Is anyone really surprised by this? I mean REALLY surprised?

Don't forget, the NRA was the organization that originally requested that bump stocks get reviewed. There was an open period for people to respond, which just closed recently, with Trump asking for the Justice Dept to take a look at how to regulate them.

So effectively, Trump is just doing what the NRA asked for.

Anyone who claims that bump stocks weren't designed to circumvent the law against full auto by mimicking full auto, is just lying to themselves. That's literally the purpose behind them regardless of what the companies that make them said about the purpose being to allow disabled people to shoot.

I own all kinds of crap for my guns, but the one thing I've never wanted was a bump stock. I've been able to try them a few times, but it's just a waste of ammo for a cheap thrill. That's literally the only purpose they serve.

Hopefully if they do get regulated, that congress at least does it the right way and not through some fat fingered bureaucrat banning stuff on their own. Do it the right way, through the law, or don't do it at all because anything less is just giving government agencies more tyrannical power.

Don't forget, the NRA was the organization that originally requested that bump stocks get reviewed. There was an open period for people to respond, which just closed recently, with Trump asking for the Justice Dept to take a look at how to regulate them.

Anyone who claims that bump stocks weren't designed to circumvent the law against full auto by mimicking full auto, is just lying to themselves. That's literally the purpose behind them regardless of what the companies that make them said about the purpose being to allow disabled people to shoot.

I own all kinds of crap for my guns, but the one thing I've never wanted was a bump stock. I've been able to try them a few times, but it's just a waste of ammo for a cheap thrill. That's literally the only purpose they serve.

Hopefully if they do get regulated, that congress at least does it the right way and not through some fat fingered bureaucrat banning stuff on their own. Do it the right way, through the law, or don't do it at all because anything less is just giving government agencies more tyrannical power.

Subverting the spirit of the law is not subverting the law. Of course they were designed too mimic fully automatic fire, but the machine gun ban didn't restrict rate of fire, it restricted certain types of firearms based on specific characteristics. A ban on bump stocks is no different than a ban of flash hiders, barrel shrouds, or forward grips.

Would you mind if stabilizing braces were banned because they went against the spirit of NFA laws?

Would you mind if rifle caliber AK and AR pistols were banned because they went against the spirit of those same NFA laws?

Which would you rather have, bump stocks or AR's and AK's?

Seems to me that the NRA made a calculated move, that Trump is following. Sacrifice something that hardly anyone owns and uses, i.e. they sit in a closet after being used once or twice, or worry about the state's each coming up with their own bump stock bans, incorporating a lot of other stuff that has nothing to do with bump stocks. Are we so soon to forget the witness slips we filled out not too long ago where the politicians here did exactly that with their bump stock bill?

Subverting the spirit of the law is not subverting the law. Of course they were designed too mimic fully automatic fire, but the machine gun ban didn't restrict rate of fire, it restricted certain types of firearms based on specific characteristics. A ban on bump stocks is no different than a ban of flash hiders, barrel shrouds, or forward grips.

Would you mind if stabilizing braces were banned because they went against the spirit of NFA laws?

Would you mind if rifle caliber AK and AR pistols were banned because they went against the spirit of those same NFA laws?

Which would you rather have, bump stocks or AR's and AK's?

Seems to me that the NRA made a calculated move, that Trump is following. Sacrifice something that hardly anyone owns and uses, i.e. they sit in a closet after being used once or twice, or worry about the state's each coming up with their own bump stock bans, incorporating a lot of other stuff that has nothing to do with bump stocks. Are we so soon to forget the witness slips we filled out not too long ago where the politicians here did exactly that with their bump stock bill?

This isn't a zero sum. We don't have to give up anything to keep something else but we are because....?

You answer that.

Are you being intentionally dense?

Let's say nothing is done with bump stocks federally.

MA already passed their own ban. Not sure if others have yet, but I'm sure MA passing one gave the anti's the courage to push them in their own state legislatures.

We here in this Godforsaken state would see another push to ban them, probably one attempt each season. Did you read the previous one? It was so ambiguous, it could have been applied to aftermarket triggers, as well as opened the door to ambiguity around gunsmithing (trigger jobs).

That puts the anti's in a superior position with regard to sneaking crap into a simple bill and getting it passed all at the same time.

Congress bans them, then that takes away the power of the anti gunners at the state level to pass things that would be a greater loss than a dumb device that hardly anyone owns.

Unless you think that our odds are good to hold off such smorgasbord bans here in a state that's losing republican voters faster than they can be replaced.

So we effectively sacrifice something that causes the least harm to the 2A versus defending against attacks in all 50 states against not only bump stocks, but aftermarket parts that don't cause the firearm to mimic full auto.

Do I want them banned just because I have no use for them? No, I don't. But I'm also not going to stomp my feet and throw my hands in their air and scream because this has been in the works since Las Vegas, and it was going to be an eventuality. If the president or congress didn't do it, would you be surprised to find that the ATF banned them all on their own?

An even better question.....did YOU send in your comments during the open comment period? I did, and expressed my concern and requested that no bans be applied to them. Did you? Even better question, how many people that are angry about this actually submitted a comment during the open comment period? 10% maybe?

You need to think much more strategic and bigger than being narrowly focused on one thing. This was nothing more than a strategic move.

ETA: and if you believe the left forgot about bump stocks, think again. A day doesn't go by on social media where I don't see posts from people about banning bump stocks. The left didn't forget. Besides, they're not banned yet. Who knows if they'll even be banned. My guess is that the NRA advised Trump to go about it through regulatory fiat so that those same regulations can be fought in court, with the NRA begging for more money. The NRA operates best with a boogeyman to get people all riled up. This wouldn't be the first time the NRA self sabotaged gun rights.

I dont see this as a big deal. Considering if Hilary was president after the vegas massacre and now the Florida shooting she would of slammed the hammer down on us! Trumps got to give them something!

Trump is with us no doubt in my mind!

This. It's throwing the horde of yipping tea cup dogs a bone. Even a bump stock doesn't make a semi-auto an automatic weapon. It makes it a very fast semi-auto. He has to give those yapping hordes something. And, this, isn't really anything.

Are you being intentionally dense?

Let's say nothing is done with bump stocks federally.

MA already passed their own ban. Not sure if others have yet, but I'm sure MA passing one gave the anti's the courage to push them in their own state legislatures.

We here in this Godforsaken state would see another push to ban them, probably one attempt each season. Did you read the previous one? It was so ambiguous, it could have been applied to aftermarket triggers, as well as opened the door to ambiguity around gunsmithing (trigger jobs).

That puts the anti's in a superior position with regard to sneaking crap into a simple bill and getting it passed all at the same time.

Congress bans them, then that takes away the power of the anti gunners at the state level to pass things that would be a greater loss than a dumb device that hardly anyone owns.

Unless you think that our odds are good to hold off such smorgasbord bans here in a state that's losing republican voters faster than they can be replaced.

So we effectively sacrifice something that causes the least harm to the 2A versus defending against attacks in all 50 states against not only bump stocks, but aftermarket parts that don't cause the firearm to mimic full auto.

Do I want them banned just because I have no use for them? No, I don't. But I'm also not going to stomp my feet and throw my hands in their air and scream because this has been in the works since Las Vegas, and it was going to be an eventuality. If the president or congress didn't do it, would you be surprised to find that the ATF banned them all on their own?

An even better question.....did YOU send in your comments during the open comment period? I did, and expressed my concern and requested that no bans be applied to them. Did you? Even better question, how many people that are angry about this actually submitted a comment during the open comment period? 10% maybe?

You need to think much more strategic and bigger than being narrowly focused on one thing. This was nothing more than a strategic move.

ding. well put

So, instead of getting reciprocity or anything good, we start out getting shafted. I wonder if the idiots in Springfield will drop their stupid bump stock bans now?

ETA, how did we evade any of this crap under obama and the dims, but now with republicans owning the white house and congress, we get gun control?

Because you were lied to by a New York Democrat playing a reality TV chariciture of the alt right. And you were lied to by the NRA that they actually want to give you more gun rights instead of collect your membership dues.

Let's see if we get fix NICS without national reciprocity.

What happened to the NRA calling the ATF jack booted thugs? Instead we get Dana Loesch who originally called Trump a fake conservative telling us how any disagreement with the Trump administration is anti American. Pure propaganda.

Archived