Thoughts on records to keep when a firearm is unserviceable and destroyed

wtr100

We have some 1187 shotguns at camp getting cracks in the receiver. The powers that be feel it most appropriate to cut the receivers in half and scrap them. Their concern is how to document this - my thought is just record the serial number and the date it was cut a be done with it.

Am I missing anything?

We have some 1187 shotguns at camp getting cracks in the receiver. The powers that be feel it most appropriate to cut the receivers in half and scrap them. Their concern is how to document this - my thought is just record the serial number and the date it was cut a be done with it.

Am I missing anything?

Maybe a photo of the destroyed item to go with the memo?

Why not save them until the next gun buy back program near you,turn them in,and get some money or gift cards for the camp?

This and when turned in there are no questions asked I thought.

I guess my question would be if the firearm was destroyed it is not capable of being used and show up, lets say for instance in a crime where the trace would yield it being purchased by you, why would you need a record of the gun at all? What am I missing? If it does not exist anymore it does not exist that is it. Is there some law that says you have to report a destroyed firearm? I thought you only had to report a lost or stolen firearm.

I guess my question would be if the firearm was destroyed it is not capable of being used and show up, lets say for instance in a crime where the trace would yield it being purchased by you, why would you need a record of the gun at all? What am I missing? If it does not exist anymore it does not exist that is it. Is there some law that says you have to report a destroyed firearm? I thought you only had to report a lost or stolen firearm.

My thoughts too. As mentioned by "the powers" in the OP, cut the receivers in half. Maybe use a sledgehammer on the barrels for more complete destruction of the shotguns before scraping. That should keep any semblance of a weapon being used in a crime.

Are the parts interchangeable with the new Remington 1187s ? If they are I would save all the parts including the stocks and barrels and see if you can sell them off to some online parts seller. Assuming they aren't all completely worn out and worthless. Lots of times with shotguns those older parts are worth something to people because they aren't cast or polymer. People go out of their way to replace the new parts with the older parts. Also assuming the old parts aren't also known for being poorly made garbage.

Why not save them until the next gun buy back program near you,turn them in,and get some money or gift cards for the camp?

don't really have them down here. more of a pain in the butt than it's worth honestly

we'll save the parts - bolts and such - maybe try and sell the barrels and stocks

I'm just looking for other people's thoughts -

If it was me I'd just cut the receivers in half right through the ser# and send them with the annual load of scrap but Property Committee and Risk Management Committee would like a bit more done

An agency I worked for years ago had to destroy several revolvers. They took them to a local gunsmith who cut the frame into pieces with a band saw. The gunsmith returned the chunk of cut-up frame that had the serial number intact, which we kept for our records, along with a written statement from the gunsmith.

To be honest, I would make an inquiry with the ATF about how to go about this. A friend of mine lost several firearms in a fire at his gunshop. He consulted with them about destroying the firearms that weren't salvageable.

It's sad that you have to destroy them. It's almost like destroying a US Flag that is no longer serviceable. Regrettable, but necessary.

-- Frank

An agency I worked for years ago had to destroy several revolvers. They took them to a local gunsmith who cut the frame into pieces with a band saw. The gunsmith returned the chunk of cut-up frame that had the serial number intact, which we kept for our records, along with a written statement from the gunsmith.

To be honest, I would make an inquiry with the ATF about how to go about this. A friend of mine lost several firearms in a fire at his gunshop. He consulted with them about destroying the firearms that weren't salvageable.

It's sad that you have to destroy them. It's almost like destroying a US Flag that is no longer serviceable. Regrettable, but necessary.

-- Frank

rem 1187 with well north of 15k rounds through them - they're each getting a crack running back from the slot where the bolt handle moves back I wonder if a new spring at the 10k rouind mark or so would have made a difference

-- Frank

rem 1187 with well north of 15k rounds through them - they're each getting a crack running back from the slot where the bolt handle moves back I wonder if a new spring at the 10k rouind mark or so would have made a difference

15K is nothing. I wouldn't have expected problems before 150K assuming proper use and maintenence. springs might have kept them in service.

-- Frank

15K is nothing. I wouldn't have expected problems before 150K assuming proper use and maintenence. springs might have kept them in service.

the 1187's have been a disappointment,

We have two of our original 1100's from who know's when that are going strong. Our 870's from roughly the same vintage as the 1187's are in good shape as well.

While the ser# on the 1187 aren't consecutive they're within maybe 50 of each other so maybe we got some from a bad lot.

Are the parts interchangeable with the new Remington 1187s ? If they are I would save all the parts including the stocks and barrels and see if you can sell them off to some online parts seller. Assuming they aren't all completely worn out and worthless. Lots of times with shotguns those older parts are worth something to people because they aren't cast or polymer. People go out of their way to replace the new parts with the older parts. Also assuming the old parts aren't also known for being poorly made garbage.

Hmm. I could use a clean 1187 "mag tube" to replace one that's jacked up but functioning...

Archived