My Laptop is "Doubling Down" for lack of a better term

Buzzard

Pyre,

After the upgrade, when I click on a posted link, my browser (Mozilla Firefox) opens TWO windows with the same conrtent. Also, when I quote someone in a post, TWO blocks of selected text show up in the editting window. I can only point to one symptom besides what I've named - when I click on and enter a thread - a few seconds later - I get a "blackout" that covers about half the screen - only for an instant - this started with the upgrade and I only see it happen here.

Also - is spell check working yet - because mine isn't.

Pyre,

After the upgrade, when I click on a posted link, my browser (Mozilla Firefox) opens TWO windows with the same conrtent. Also, when I quote someone in a post, TWO blocks of selected text show up in the editting window. I can only point to one symptom besides what I've named - when I click on and enter a thread - a few seconds later - I get a "blackout" that covers about half the screen - only for an instant - this started with the upgrade and I only see it happen here.

Also - is spell check working yet - because mine isn't.

It's the new, "3D" option - you just have to get the blue and red plastic glasses. :D

Sounds like a double tap to me.

Not sure if you're being funny - or serious there, Ty.

I know it's not a double tap, as often seen as a double post. It happens every time. I had to wait until the second, unwanted quote appeared on this post, so I could delete it. So, I'm sure it's not an accidental double tap. Nor a negligent discharge! :poke: :flowers:

That's some odd behavior. You have 2 issues, the second of which I have a solution for, and the first I dont have a clue.

First issue - I suppose we can start with java since you're having issues with the "quote":

You may want to check your java version. Although it may not be your problem, I think that its worth looking at. To check your version of java:

1. Click START

2. Click RUN (alternatively you can hold the windows flag key <next to space bar on left> and then "R", simultaneously to open a run prompt)

3. At the run prompt type "cmd" and click ok

4. You are now at the command prompt - type "java -version" and hit enter.

The spell check is one that i've hit myself. Its pretty easy to fix:

To solve the firefox spell check issue:

1. Click on "quote" or something where you can get a reply going

2. Type some funky stuff that you know should be tagged by the spellchecker (i.e. akljlkajsdlfkjasdljfasldf)

3. Right click in the white space of the editor pane (not on the text, just the white area)

4. Go to languages and select "English/United States"

You should be GTG - your funky characters should show up with a red line under them, indicating that the spell check is functional.

First issue - I suppose we can start with java since you're having issues with the "quote":

You may want to check your java version. Although it may not be your problem, I think that its worth looking at. To check your version of java:

1. Click START

2. Click RUN (alternatively you can hold the windows flag key <next to space bar on left> and then "R", simultaneously to open a run prompt)

3. At the run prompt type "cmd" and click ok

4. You are now at the command prompt - type "java -version" and hit enter.

OK, I did the above and got this after hitting enter:

'java-version' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

2. Type some funky stuff that you know should be tagged by the spellchecker (i.e. akljlkajsdlfkjasdljfasldf)

3. Right click in the white space of the editor pane (not on the text, just the white area)

When i right clicked in the white space of the editor pane I didn't see "languages" or "English/United States".

Your java version is pretty old. I'm not guaranteeing a fix here, but it would be a good idea to update java (at the very least, for security updates):

http://www.java.com/en/

Its quite possible that updating to java 6 will correct your problem.

For the spellcheck, I'm using a couple versions of firefox. I believe I have 11 on my 32-bit workstation, and I run the nightly 64 build on my windows 7 machine. In either case, I get the following menu when I right click in the white space of the editor:

post-1825-0-20834700-1335533323.png

I can say with absolute certainty that my spell check was broken until I selected a language. I know you have some bandwidth challenges, but when you get a chance, and nobody is using the computer, you may benefit from dowloading and updating your browser as well (assuming you're on an older version). To determine the version of firefox you go to the "help about" menu. The current version is 12, and can be downloaded here: http://www.mozilla.o...US/firefox/new/

You should be GTG - your funky characters should show up with a red line under them, indicating that the spell check is functional.

Great tip, worked for me!

Did I mention that I am running Windows XP?

I have an XP system - I'm running Java 1.6.0_30, and FF 11. I still think you could use an upgrade. Both upgrades are "next, next, next" upgrades. Just watch on the java upgrade: occasionally they try to slip in open office, or some silly toolbar.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Did I mention that I am running Windows XP?

I have an XP system - I'm running Java 1.6.0_30, and FF 11. I still think you could use an upgrade. Both upgrades are "next, next, next" upgrades. Just watch on the java upgrade: occasionally they try to slip in open office, or some silly toolbar.

Glad it worked out for ya.

You can easily download the latest version here - http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

Posted · Hidden by Buzzard, April 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Buzzard, April 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM - No reason given

Decided not to wait . . . I've now got the file downloaded. Not to be stupid, but I apologize . . . I'm not an IT guy.......

Now what? Is is a simple thing like open the file and follow the directions??

Buzz, did you upgrade firefox as well? What version are you running?

For what its worth, I still dont believe your issue is site related. I think you have something going on at your end.

Buzz, did you upgrade firefox as well? What version are you running?

For what its worth, I still dont believe your issue is site related. I think you have something going on at your end.

I am running Firefox 12.0 (at least that's what it says) It also says it is up to date. I clicked quote on your post and I am leaving it just as it was when the reply window opens. And if I click on a posted link, two window tabs appear and opens two windows. Should I look through firefox help?

Buzz

You aren't "double clicking" on the "quote" button, by chance, are you?

When I "double click" the button, it causes 2 quotes to show. Make sure you're clicking the "quote" button just once, and wait for it to show.

No, I'm not.

Even if I was - what's with the blackout of the screen for a fraction of a second - what's causing that?

No. Something is going on and I think it's in my machine. A trojan or something.

Does Microsoft Essentials (or whatever it's called) still support Windows XP?

Archived