Deerfield Bans Assault Weapons But Residents Don’t Want To Talk About It.

InterestedBystander

Full story at link...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/deerfield-illinois-ban-assault-weapons-guns-parkland

The small village of Deerfield, Illinois, introduced a dramatic and sweeping assault weapons ban after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. Just don't ask them about it.

DEERFIELD, Illinois You can drive from one end of Deerfield, Illinois, to the other in about 15 minutes. Bookended by Panera Breads and surrounded by country clubs, theres a strip mall, a high school, and some renovated municipal buildings serving a community of about 18,000 with a median income of roughly $133,000. A train will take you into downtown Chicago in less than hour.

But theres one thing in this average suburban idyll that has residents afraid to talk: I'd rather stay out of it... I don't have an opinion... It's probably best I don't say anything at all anymore.

BuzzFeed News traveled to Deerfield to speak to residents about the gun ban, but encountered a village very much on edge. Many residents declined to speak, fearing backlash. Few who did talk wanted to use their full names. Several parents sent repeated messages or emails marked URGENT following interviews with their children, asking with an increasing level of concern that their names not be used. (Some names in this story have been partially or fully withheld in an effort to let subjects speak freely or at the request of parents).

I really dont want to be difficult, said one parent, but we are very sensitive about these things and also there are people who are acting irrationally about the ban.

Pro-gun residents in Deerfield are also biting their tongue. One local gun owner, Brian, initially was reluctant to be interviewed. But the NRA-certified private gun instructor soon began firing off reasons he thought the ban was "stupid."

Still, he said, "I don't want to get in the middle of it."

BuzzFeed News attempted to interview Deerfields mayor and several board members. Receptionists politely took calls, transferred them, and let them ring to voicemail. When BuzzFeed News showed up in person at the city offices, Assistant Village Manager Andrew Lichterman stepped out to shake hands, but said all information pertinent to the ban was available online, and officials weren't interested in commenting any further. When BuzzFeed News asked for clarification on the details of the ordinance, and queried how it will be enforced, Deerfield Police Commander Brian Budny said repeatedly to refer to the village's website.

I think that when they saw the cornucopia of organizations acting as deep pockets for the lawsuit,

they realized that losing could get REAL expensive, real fast and it will be coming out of THEIR

POCKETS - and that it was a HEAVY price for some virtue signaling.

I think there is a REAL political firestorm happening behind the scenes. And they are hoping it will "blow over".

Hope was a word for the obama administration.

I think that when they saw the cornucopia of organizations acting as deep pockets for the lawsuit,

they realized that losing could get REAL expensive, real fast and it will be coming out of THEIR

POCKETS - and that it was a HEAVY price for some virtue signaling.

I think there is a REAL political firestorm happening behind the scenes. And they are hoping it will "blow over".

Hope was a word for the obama administration.

I think this is the case, they have been told to zip their lips...

As someone who lives near Oak Park - I'm semi glad they're doing this. Maybe now the carjackers, robbers and rapists will head up north instead of just praying on the soft underbelly of Chicago known as Oak Park. For those who aren't up to speed - Oak Park is so far left it almost wraps around to be far right (not in principle, but illustratively speaking). It also borders one of the two most dangerous Chicago hoods - Austin. So on an almost daily basis we see articles talking about car jacking, robbery, shot, etc... So while I would not wish violence on everyone, I'm sure there is enough to go around and by disarming Deerfield, they are just opening up the same hole of hurt that Oak Park put themselves into with their no guns allowed signs everywhere and their home rule nonsense.

On a side note - I do hope the suit sends them back into the dark ages. Aside from the obvious, my beef with this is that they are using a shell bill to create this, so to speak. In other words, they bookmarked their ability to later amend their rules by putting in a weak "lock up your guns" law during the 10 day CCL period all have discussed. Now they are substantially modifying the spirit of that ordinance - just like our legislators downstate use shell bills to then inject bad litigation. This alone should be illegal.

Full story at link...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/deerfield-illinois-ban-assault-weapons-guns-parkland

The small village of Deerfield, Illinois, introduced a dramatic and sweeping assault weapons ban after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. Just don't ask them about it.

DEERFIELD, Illinois You can drive from one end of Deerfield, Illinois, to the other in about 15 minutes. Bookended by Panera Breads and surrounded by country clubs, theres a strip mall, a high school, and some renovated municipal buildings serving a community of about 18,000 with a median income of roughly $133,000. A train will take you into downtown Chicago in less than hour.

But theres one thing in this average suburban idyll that has residents afraid to talk: I'd rather stay out of it... I don't have an opinion... It's probably best I don't say anything at all anymore.

BuzzFeed News traveled to Deerfield to speak to residents about the gun ban, but encountered a village very much on edge. Many residents declined to speak, fearing backlash. Few who did talk wanted to use their full names. Several parents sent repeated messages or emails marked URGENT following interviews with their children, asking with an increasing level of concern that their names not be used. (Some names in this story have been partially or fully withheld in an effort to let subjects speak freely or at the request of parents).

I really dont want to be difficult, said one parent, but we are very sensitive about these things and also there are people who are acting irrationally about the ban.

Pro-gun residents in Deerfield are also biting their tongue. One local gun owner, Brian, initially was reluctant to be interviewed. But the NRA-certified private gun instructor soon began firing off reasons he thought the ban was "stupid."

Still, he said, "I don't want to get in the middle of it."

BuzzFeed News attempted to interview Deerfields mayor and several board members. Receptionists politely took calls, transferred them, and let them ring to voicemail. When BuzzFeed News showed up in person at the city offices, Assistant Village Manager Andrew Lichterman stepped out to shake hands, but said all information pertinent to the ban was available online, and officials weren't interested in commenting any further. When BuzzFeed News asked for clarification on the details of the ordinance, and queried how it will be enforced, Deerfield Police Commander Brian Budny said repeatedly to refer to the village's website.

That's why things have gotten to this point because people "don't want to get in the middle of it."

Article on "Gun Ban" from TownHall.com

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/04/05/turn-them-over-chicago-suburb-bans-ar-15s-and-a-lot-of-handguns-n2467450

The definition also bans most semi-automatic pistols... purely a "Gun Ban"...

In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines

The lawsuit has them scared.

It's called the 1976 Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Awards Act (i.e., attorneys need Acts of Congress to help them do what they must do). If the lawsuit is framed as a civil rights issue, then the plaintiffs' attorneys gets a big payout if they win. That should scare the bejesus out of them.

The above Act of Congress was supposed to help ordinary mopes in civil rights cases, but advocacy groups, such as the ACLU, have incorporated it as part of their business model. Now, the NRA, etc. has gotten into the -- ahem -- act.

For its work in McDonald v. City of Chicago, the NRA got $663,294.10 from the City of Chicago.

As someone who lives near Oak Park ...

In addition to the $663,294.80 the NRA got from the City of Chicago it was awarded a like $663,294.10 from the Village of Oak Park. However, the City of Chicago quickly reimbursed Oak Park for its share so Oak Park was not really out any money and McDonald cost Chicago an aggregate $1.3 million.

Looking forward to seeing the big lotto check with ISRA/NRA/etc. name as the "Pay To"

Go to: http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/City-of-Chicago-check.pdf

And gaze at that signature of Rahm Emanuel on that check made out to the NRA.

It's called the 1976 Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Awards Act (i.e., attorneys need Acts of Congress to help them do what they must do). If the lawsuit is framed as a civil rights issue, then the plaintiffs' attorneys gets a big payout if they win. That should scare the [/size]bejesus out of them.[/size]

The above Act of Congress was supposed to help ordinary mopes in civil rights cases, but advocacy groups, such as the ACLU, have incorporated it as part of their business model. Now, the NRA, etc. has gotten into the -- ahem -- act.

For its work in McDonald v. City of Chicago, the NRA got $663,294.10 from the City of Chicago.

As someone who lives near Oak Park ...

In addition to the $663,294.80 t[/size]he NRA got from the City of Chicago it was awarded a like [/size]$663,294.10 from the Village of Oak Park. However, t[/size]he City of Chicago quickly reimbursed Oak Park for its share so Oak Park was not really out any money and McDonald cost Chicago an aggregate $1.3 million.[/size]

Looking forward to seeing the big lotto check with ISRA/NRA/etc. name as the "Pay To"

Go to: [/size]http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/City-of-Chicago-check.pdf[/size]

The picture of that check is priceless!!!

Time to attempt to further confuse and disrupt.

http://i.imgur.com/L0cLWWwl.jpg

They were warned several times that a lawsuit would follow.

They could find a way to back out of this. Perhaps not gracefully, but they could get out from underneath it.

May they reap the fruit of their labors.

Gun manufacturers and dealers should refuse to sell firearms to police that their municipality or state won't allow non-police to purchase.

At first, I said, heck of an idea. But then, we know what would happen. Lefty media WILL misrepresent this all over. The funded anti groups under different or new names, will go after their suppliers and financiers.

It's called the 1976 Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Awards Act (i.e., attorneys need Acts of Congress to help them do what they must do). If the lawsuit is framed as a civil rights issue, then the plaintiffs' attorneys gets a big payout if they win. That should scare the bejesus out of them.

In addition to the $663,294.80 the NRA got from the City of Chicago it was awarded a like $663,294.10 from the Village of Oak Park. However, the City of Chicago quickly reimbursed Oak Park for its share so Oak Park was not really out any money and McDonald cost Chicago an aggregate $1.3 million.

Go to: http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/City-of-Chicago-check.pdf

That screen shot of the check was my screen saver for a time.

Above

“In addition to the $663,294.80 the NRA got from the City of Chicago it was awarded a like $663,294.10 from the Village of Oak Park. However, the City of Chicago quickly reimbursed Oak Park for its share so Oak Park was not really out any money and McDonald cost Chicago an aggregate $1.3 million.”

HOW is that ^^^ even legal ??

Above

“In addition to the $663,294.80 the NRA got from the City of Chicago it was awarded a like $663,294.10 from the Village of Oak Park. However, the City of Chicago quickly reimbursed Oak Park for its share so Oak Park was not really out any money and McDonald cost Chicago an aggregate $1.3 million.”

That's a good question. Taking tax payer dollars and paying another municipalities bill. I'm sure the Illinois Attorney Generals office will get right on that.

Above

That's a good question. Taking tax payer dollars and paying another municipalities bill. I'm sure the Illinois Attorney Generals office will get right on that.

I’m Thinking any City of Chicago resident can file a class action lawsuit against the City for that.

I think it is interesting that a nearby gun range is offering to store weapons for free. Good for them.

I'm currently storing all the guns, et al. I can't have in Illinois in Tennessee. I will likely do the same with even more guns if we lose the fight in Springfield or if JB ends up as our Governor.

My take on their not wanting to talk about it: It sounds to me that they think we as gun owners will take revenge on their actions by shooting up their schools or some public gathering. It is just sad that many non gun owners have such low opinions of gun owners.

Articles like this one do not help: http://illinoistimes.com/article-19910-guns-guns-and-more-guns.html

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/04/05/turn-them-over-chicago-suburb-bans-ar-15s-and-a-lot-of-handguns-n2467450

In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines

Its a copy/paste of the Cook county ban, pretty much the same one all the towns used in 2013, including Highland Park

Assault weapon means:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
© A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
Other than maybe an AR-7 it bans pretty much all semiauto rifles, even ones with fixed magazines under 10 rounds because the "detachable or otherwise" language would seem to mean if they can be disassembled and fitted with a larger magazine they get swept in

I think it is interesting that a nearby gun range is offering to store weapons for free. Good for them.

I'm currently storing all the guns, et al. I can't have in Illinois in Tennessee. I will likely do the same with even more guns if we lose the fight in Springfield or if JB ends up as our Governor.

My take on their not wanting to talk about it: It sounds to me that they think we as gun owners will take revenge on their actions by shooting up their schools or some public gathering. It is just sad that many non gun owners have such low opinions of gun owners.

Articles like this one do not help: http://illinoistimes.com/article-19910-guns-guns-and-more-guns.html

I think the opposite. Articles like that help us, as no credible person could defend that trash. I love it when the left supports people that block highways, break windows and the like at leftist rallies, yet at the same time, tries to belittle gun owners at our rallies. Always insinuating that gun owners are racist, old white people that are afraid of their own shadow. The left's rhetoric is tired, and people aren't buying. People are aware that the left is opportunistic, springing into action whenever there is a tragedy, and that the left ignores the fact that violence is down nationwide compared to years past while the numbers of guns and owners has never been higher.

Its a copy/paste of the Cook county ban, pretty much the same one all the towns used in 2013, including Highland Park

Assault weapon means:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
( :cool: Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
© A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
Other than maybe an AR-7 it bans pretty much all semiauto rifles, even ones with fixed magazines under 10 rounds because the "detachable or otherwise" language would seem to mean if they can be disassembled and fitted with a larger magazine they get swept in

It's poorly written to stop what is going on in California, where they were 'pinning the magazine in to make it require removal of a screw to take off (which they made quick release), thus 'fixing' it. Not to be confused with semi-autos that have an internal, built-in magazine like most hunting that take 5 rds, or the M1 Garand. And I say that because they have a separate section right after that bans semi-autos with a fixed magazine. This implies, imho the intent of the first designation is for any semi-auto that take external mags, whether detachable or fixed into place AND have one of the other cosmetic BS.

But, even IF we take your interpretation, it still doesn't ban rifles like the M1 Garand, let alone most 5 rd internal mag hunters, because there is no physical way to extend those magazines. SKS, is arguable. It CAN be modified to take bigger mags, but it can't just be disassembled (like they are doing in Cali with mods that won't allow the mag release to function until the upper and lower are separated in the back). I think the Cali situation is what this is trying to stop. Granted, it would have been so easy to use language that stated that. Further evidence that supports my belief, is it later bans SKS ONLY with the mod and a detachable mag. If it still has the stock 'built-in' mag it would pass. Easy to say, you didn't just ban all SKS's. AND, that implies my above beliefs hold true.

The key is the phrase 'A Semi-automatic rifle with the capacity to accept'. IMHO, if it can not take a high cap mag at that moment, it does not have the 'capacity to accept'.

Even if it isn't outright overturned, there is a LOT of room for law suits for alleged violations, depending on how overreaching they try on those.

That's why things have gotten to this point because people "don't want to get in the middle of it."

FACT!

If my city passed this law, I'd be more than willing to discuss it and say how stupid and ridiculous the law is...without admitting what I own or don't own. And I don't care what my neighbors think. Perhaps some would be emboldened to speak out after hearing what I've said.

The key is the phrase 'A Semi-automatic rifle with the capacity to accept'. IMHO, if it can not take a high cap mag at that moment, it does not have the 'capacity to accept'.

If that was all it said then you'd be right, however they go on to say "detachable or otherwise" and then define "detachable" as not requiring disassembly of the action, which means that "otherwise" can only mean the ability to add a high-capacity magazine *with* disassembly of the action. SKS would be right out, since they can accept larger magazines with disassembly, and depending on how one chooses to define "disassembly" the fact that Garands can be modified to accept 20 round BAR magazines mean they could be swept into the ban.

Its really no more of a stretch than what Maura Healy is doing in MA with her new definition of "copycat"

If that was all it said then you'd be right, however they go on to say "detachable or otherwise" and then define "detachable" as not requiring disassembly of the action, which means that "otherwise" can only mean the ability to add a high-capacity magazine *with* disassembly of the action. SKS would be right out, since they can accept larger magazines with disassembly, and depending on how one chooses to define "disassembly" the fact that Garands can be modified to accept 20 round BAR magazines mean they could be swept into the ban.

Its really no more of a stretch than what Maura Healy is doing in MA with her new definition of "copycat"

Still disagree. If that were the case, when they expressly list rifles, they would list all SKS, and not SKS with detachable magazine like they do. And that entry, is NOT on the Chicago ban, so they actually added it. To me, this means they know about the capability of modifying an SKS. Both that mod and the one to the Garand is not just disassembly, it takes additional parts and modding. Your reading too much into this.

Archived