Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Wow, CajunAmmo response below;

"Thank you for the timely and thorough response. We stand corrected. There are a handful of cities that are known to "outlaw" online ammunition sales. Chicago was one but pleased to hear it's no longer. We appreciate the documentation.

Upon receiving your FOID, your order will process and likely ship Monday.

Brandon
CajunAmmo"

Wow, CajunAmmo response below;

"Thank you for the timely and thorough response. We stand corrected. There are a handful of cities that are known to "outlaw" online ammunition sales. Chicago was one but pleased to hear it's no longer. We appreciate the documentation.

Upon receiving your FOID, your order will process and likely ship Monday.

Brandon

CajunAmmo"

While they are willing to ship to Crook county there prices are a little steep . Is shipping free for a 1k order ???

Hi guys,

As a reminder, let's please refrain from turning this into a discussion of various vendor's prices/shipping rates. As we all know, such discussions can quickly run into many kb of content and I'd really like this one to be just about businesses who are recognizing that shipping ammo to Chicago is no longer illegal and will do so.

Thanks to all who are participating in this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to buy .357 ammo from Midway (I live in the Crook County Burbs, with a 605** zip). Ignored my email with my FOID (again!!!), refused to let me check out, as they do not ship to my area. From now on, I buy EVERYTHING from Topgunsupply ...

Midway are a waste of time and not worth the effort. Will Topgunsupply ship to the City of Chicago (some sellers will ship to Cook but not to Rahmistan).

Add clickammo.com

I emailed a copy of the ordinance and a link to this thread. I got my order yesterday.

Done and thank you

Their website states... ILLINOIS CUSTOMERS: Must have current copy of FOID card and State Photo Identification, No sales of ammunition and/or magazines to the City of Chicago.

Have they merely not updated their website?

Add clickammo.com

I emailed a copy of the ordinance and a link to this thread. I got my order yesterday.

Done and thank you

Their website states... ILLINOIS CUSTOMERS: Must have current copy of FOID card and State Photo Identification, No sales of ammunition and/or magazines to the City of Chicago.

Have they merely not updated their website?

Website not updated yet. I sent a copy of FOID. I communicated with the owner Steve.

Add Ventura Munitions

http://www.venturamunitions.com/

Got the tracking number after this email exchange and calling twice. Was told that they were told by their lawyers recently not to ship to Chicago. I said that's wrong and they need to take a better look at the law because it has changed and I included a copy of the ordinance. Was told they will ship to Chicago.

Thank you for your recent order with Ventura Munitions. Unfortunately, due to Illinois state law, we are no longer able to ship to Chicago. We are only able to ship to an FFL holder in Chicago. We are able to ship outside of Chicago, but the address we ship to must match the address on you FOID. Please let me know how you wish to proceed with your order. If you have an FFL that we can ship to we need their address and a copy of their FFL. They can email or fax 855-862-6329 is to us.

Hi, I've been through this with someone from Ventura before who didn't know the law and spoke to the owner and clarified him about the law and got my order, please check. Illinois state law only requires a copy of the FOID card which you have on file and doesn't say you cannot ship to Chicago. Chicago city ordinance use to say no ammo shipments to Chicago but has changed and shipping ammunition to Chicago is not against the law now. I'm including a copy of the new city ordinance and a link to illinoiscarry.com where there is a list with plenty of retailers that ship to Chicago and this issue is discussed.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54598

chicago-gun-shop-ordinance-7.pdf

Check out page number 22 (actually page 24 of the pdf). The ordinance is 8-20-100. The language was rewritten banning transfers/sales of firearms at gun shows. The prior language banning transfer of ammo was totally struck.

Added TDS! Thank you 357

I'm not sure I should add Ventura yet... I had them on the list at the beginning because someone else reported they had finally agreed to ship to Chicago, but then back in April someone else said they were denied. Ventura sounds a bit like Midway, waffling back and forth, which is an entirely different kind of frustrating than people who simply say "no". I'd like to see some kind of written confirmation from them that their people are all on the same page so folks who come here for accurate info don't have their time wasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Officedrone, I just received this email from Midway. My address in Chicago is in their system:

Dear ,

You are receiving this email because our records indicate you have an address in Illinois.

Residents of Illinois can legally make online purchases of ammunition all you need to do is submit the proper license.

More information on which particular license you need to submit is available at -

http://www.midwayusa.com/help/which-states-require-permits-to-buy-certain-types-of-products

To better serve our Customers, MidwayUSA has instituted several convenient ways for you to submit your license for validation.

EMAIL: Send a pdf or jpg copy to MidwayUSA using the Contact Us page.

FAX: 1-800-992-8312

MAIL:

Customer Service

MidwayUSA

5875 West Van Horn Tavern Rd.

Columbia, MO 65203.

Thanks for Your Business!

Customer Service

MidwayUSA

Thanks Googe. Midway have been really inconsistent on this for some time. They do ship ammo to Illinois, but are not consistent at all regarding shipping to Chicago.

They were one of the first companies I listed here, as I successfully mail-ordered ammo from them in the past (and I live in the city proper), however I removed them after others here complained that they were denied. Followups to Midway by myself and one or two others weren't very satisfactory, either, as their reps just sidestep the issue and give non-answers to direct questions, and seem unwilling to bump the e-mail up to upper management. Depending on what rep you speak to, they may or may not send your ammo to you, and for that reason, until we have something absolute from them that confirms their policy allows ammo shipments to Cook County and the City of Chicago and that all their reps are up to date on that, I'm going to keep them off the list.

I definitely appreciate your work on this, though.

Thanks Googe. Midway have been really inconsistent on this for some time. They do ship ammo to Illinois, but are not consistent at all regarding shipping to Chicago.

They were one of the first companies I listed here, as I successfully mail-ordered ammo from them in the past (and I live in the city proper), however I removed them after others here complained that they were denied. Followups to Midway by myself and one or two others weren't very satisfactory, either, as their reps just sidestep the issue and give non-answers to direct questions, and seem unwilling to bump the e-mail up to upper management. Depending on what rep you speak to, they may or may not send your ammo to you, and for that reason, until we have something absolute from them that confirms their policy allows ammo shipments to Cook County and the City of Chicago and that all their reps are up to date on that, I'm going to keep them off the list.

I have pestered them in the past. Not so much lately. I find it curious that they are now sending out unsolicited emails to Illinoisans (including Chicagoans) telling us that we can buy ammo from them.

I have pestered them in the past. Not so much lately. I find it curious that they are now sending out unsolicited emails to Illinoisans (including Chicagoans) telling us that we can buy ammo from them.

A barrage of unsolicited e-mails to a bunch of people sounds to me like a possible issue with their mailing list where someone pressed a button they shouldn't have. If you want to like contact them to confirm that the e-mail means they'll ship ammo to Cook County and the City of Chicago and that their reps are all aware of this policy, I'll be happy to re-add them to the list. Because of the previous problems with their waffling and inconsistency, I'm hesitant to trust anything they say. I want for this list to be as accurate and up-to-date as possible, and don't want any more people upset because they ordered something from a vendor on the list and were then rejected (in one case someone was even forced to pay a ridiculous restocking fee).

Midway is a lost cause, I just tried to put a box of .380 in my cart and get the message:

•Your city or state law prohibits sending ammunition to your shipping address. For details, see http://www.midwayusa.com/restricted-products. MidwayUSA does not sell ammunition to anyone under 21 years of age.

•Chicago city law prohibits sending 9mm Luger, 45 ACP, 380 ACP, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 25 ACP or any 22 caliber ammunition to your shipping address, even if you have a FOID card.

That law hasn't been on the books for years.

Midway is a lost cause, I just tried to put a box of .380 in my cart and get the message:

•Your city or state law prohibits sending ammunition to your shipping address. For details, see http://www.midwayusa.com/restricted-products. MidwayUSA does not sell ammunition to anyone under 21 years of age.

•Chicago city law prohibits sending 9mm Luger, 45 ACP, 380 ACP, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 25 ACP or any 22 caliber ammunition to your shipping address, even if you have a FOID card.

That law hasn't been on the books for years.

Me, too. I spent a few minutes in live chat with CSR, and everything he came back with on restrictions was wrong. The only part of his reply that I resented was his statement that the legal dept "constantly reviews" the laws. Obviously, they don't.

I called Freedom Munitions a few days ago to ask their policy on behalf of a friend (their website says they won't ship to Chicago). They said that as of a few months ago, they will ship to Chicago as they have reviewed the new laws in IL and saw it was legal. The woman I spoke to was not aware that their website still reflected that they won't ship there. She said they will be changing that on their website shortly.

They were some of the first people I contacted and were very friendly, said they would review the law with their lawyer. I'll definitely add them once their website has been updated.

As of today, the website has the correct information.

Archived