Could this be true.....no more renewals for now?

joedav1228

You do not have to renew before the expiration date...but why wouldn’t you just renew and be done?

It doesn’t expire, ok

But the laziness to just click and pay seems to be the most prevalent disease currently!

Yes I renewed, yes it took forever, yes I went past the listed/printed expire date, no I did not panic.

I did get a new card and it looks just pretty as he l l and still has that new car’d smell....

:thumbsup:

You do not have to renew before the expiration date...but why wouldn’t you just renew and be done?

It doesn’t expire, ok

But the laziness to just click and pay seems to be the most prevalent disease currently!

Yes I renewed, yes it took forever, yes I went past the listed/printed expire date, no I did not panic.

I did get a new card and it looks just pretty as he l l and still has that new car’d smell....

:thumbsup:

:clap:

I'm glad to see some others properly interpret the new guidelines. It just seems so many are not aware of the fact that you don't have to renew before expiration to have a valid/active 18 month extension after the emergency is over, and who knows when that will be. Instead of keeping a copy of your renewal, you can keep a copy of the ISP statement in your wallet if you run into a situation. I'm sure store policies will vary. If any law enforcement agency runs your CCL or FOID after expiration, it should show active and COVID as the expiration date.

It’s just too simple

It’s a FOID card

No test

No class

Minimal fee

Login in fill out info

Click button

WaaaLa

Prior to the pandemic everyone renewed when needed.

After the pandemic a percent of card holders refuse to renew or just suddenly can’t find the time to renew. And it’s from within you own home, not like you have to even get dressed!

Nice that there is a grace period originally put in place due to the backlogs, “we won’t let you expire” “ nor lose your right to own etc”.

So it’s business as usual for what can only be guessed at over 90% of all FOID holders.

For the rest I guess it’s a free shot at drama and discord.

I applied and received my FOID & CCL at the same time, during the "disaster" period and even my FOID & CCL have "COVID-19" as an expiration date on the website BUT my card actually says "Expires: 09-30-2025".

Not a big deal but since I have a new FOID & CCL I would think it'd just show the 5 years date, it's not like I was renewing. I wonder if my card has 9/30/25 as an expiration date but if the date will change depending on when the "disaster" period is lifted???

One reason to send in your renewal now, and not wait until their arbitrary extension expires, is the possibility that the “fix the foid” bill gets passed and fees going forward get jacked up. Under the language of the current bill, the increased fee wouldn’t apply until you need to renew again, and I’d argue that would also apply to fees and applications already submitted and pending. Chances are it won’t pass this fall, but it’s possible. And if it’s possible that if you wait you’ll have to pay more and get printed, why risk it?

One reason to send in your renewal now, and not wait until their arbitrary extension expires, is the possibility that the “fix the foid” bill gets passed and fees going forward get jacked up. Under the language of the current bill, the increased fee wouldn’t apply until you need to renew again, and I’d argue that would also apply to fees and applications already submitted and pending. Chances are it won’t pass this fall, but it’s possible. And if it’s possible that if you wait you’ll have to pay more and get printed, why risk it?

And it's possible that one could move out of state in 2022 and save at least two years worth of fees because you no longer need one.

And it's possible that one could move out of state in 2022 and save at least two years worth of fees because you no longer need one.

the possibilities are endless, Madigan could resign and just before leaving office he would abolish the FOID and give Illinois residents open carry, but who knows what the future brings!

and think of all that money saved by not renewing, 25.00 or 30.00 USD....woooo

the possibilities are endless, Madigan could resign and just before leaving office he would abolish the FOID and give Illinois residents open carry, but who knows what the future brings!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap:

Speaking of 'store policy'....

A few weeks ago...I got 'bit'...for the first time

I happen to be in C®ook county... Stopped at a walmart..cuz it was there..just to pick up some soda.

Of course I had to wander by the ammo.

They had CCI stingers!! Dont see em much. My neighbor said he wants some...so I'd figure I'd buy em up for him (even with the 1 cent rim fire tax)

Used my CCL... Nope... they said it law..then walmart policy....FOID only.

Really? Before the tax, I always used my CCL at that location. Talked to the manager..blah..blah... Tried explaining the law..He would have none of it..He was 'the manager'...

Told of em my Dupage store that I always used my CCL without issue. I was told 'they were doing it wrong..they can be busted..etc..etc"

Walked away saying "Oh well..at least you kept me from doing a stoopid thing by paying C®ook county their ammo tax)

I was a mildly miffed...but...at least I can still say I've never paid c®ook thier ammo tax.

So..being spiteful..I went out of my way on the way home and stopped at my Dupage walmart.

They had two boxes of run of the mill CCI (40gr I think it was)...

Whipped out the CCL...nobody batted an eye..no issue as usual. (I never mentioned the C®ook walmart)

Purchased em...Walked out with my ammo..no issue.

What Cook County Wal Mart sells ammo?

• 2 months later...

I have already filed online for my FOID renewal (Jan 1, 2021 expiration) and just yesterday received a snail mail letter from the ISP - dated 10-1-2020 - reminding me of that upcoming expiration and providing the necessary link to renew etc.

FWIW the letter does detail that my card will remain valid as long as I have already requested said renewal, and that since I've submitted my renewal, my FOID will remain active during the duration of the State's disaster declaration and for a period of 12 months following the termination of the current disaster.

Just to follow up on my earlier post... NO renewal card received to date so three months wait and counting.

What if I want to carry my firearm out of state and I get stopped.

My CCL shows "expired". Are out of state cops going to know all the details of "Covid" rules for IL CCL's? I'm guessing no.

That's why you're carrying a printout of the state's 18 month extension of expiration date proclamation along with a copy of your application in process.

Papers please!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of folks have this wrong. You still have to renew!

Firearms Owners Identification (FOID) card holders and Concealed Carry License (CCL) holders, who submit their renewal application will remain valid during the duration of the state's disaster proclamation and for a period of 18 months (previously 12 months) following the termination of the disaster, even if their renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration.

So, you can't NOT renew and expect your FOID to remain valid. It clearly says "those who submit their renewal application", regardless if your renewal was on time or late, due to the 18 month rule. This is simply cutting a little bit of slack if you forget to renew on time and your card expired you can still renew on an expired card, and then you will be good to go during the renewal phase. Nowhere does this say you don't have to renew at all. Stop spreading this misinformation, it's going to get someone really screwed over.

In other words, as long as you submit renewal, you are good to go, even if you submitted your renewal after your card expired.

If you don't renew at all and your card expires, you have nothing. No valid card, and no pending renewal to keep you safe. You are asking for trouble at that point.

***YOU STILL HAVE TO RENEW***. All this is saying is that if you renew after it's expired, you're still good for 18 months, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO RENEW! It doesn't say anything about not renewing at all. Do you really want to risk your rights, your record, your bank account, your time, based on how you decide to interpret the verbiage, just to save ten dollars? Those thinking that they don't have to renew at all are taking a very big gamble all for a measly $10...it is not worth hassle of being a guinea pig for the courts.

Archived