SCOTUS emergency order blocking voter ID - relevant to 2A?

lockman

If SCOTUS hears this case and overturns the 7th's decision, will this lead the way to eliminate ID checks when buying guns? Any ruling applied to voting rights would seem to carry over to other fundamental rights.

The Heller Court affirmed the Constitutionality of prohibiting some people (felons, etc) from gun ownership. Requiring some form of ID as a means to ensure you are not one of those prohibited persons would probably stand.

Felons can't vote either, of course, so it could get interesting.

I don't see how any reasonable judge, who is only concerned with interpreting the law (not molding society), could look at New York's licensing fees and not see that as a prior restraint.

And it is obvious that the fees disproportionately affect poor people.

If any governmental body ever tried to apply fees to voting, it would immediately be struck down as unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court decided to take a pass on hearing the issue as it applied to the Second Amendment when they declined to hear Kwong v Bloomberg.

Equal Protection doesn't apply equally to all amendments apparently.

I don't see how any reasonable judge, who is only concerned with interpreting the law (not molding society), could look at New York's licensing fees and not see that as a prior restraint.

Prior restraint is relevant only to 1st amendment issues.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3715994

^ a lot of work to edit out the swearing for a joke, man

If SCOTUS hears this case and overturns the 7th's decision, will this lead the way to eliminate ID checks when buying guns? Any ruling applied to voting rights would seem to carry over to other fundamental rights.

The Heller Court affirmed the Constitutionality of prohibiting some people (felons, etc) from gun ownership. Requiring some form of ID as a means to ensure you are not one of those prohibited persons would probably stand.Felons can't vote either, of course, so it could get interesting.
"Felons can't vote either, of course....."

Mauserme, you crack me up!

The Heller Court affirmed the Constitutionality of prohibiting some people (felons, etc) from gun ownership. Requiring some form of ID as a means to ensure you are not one of those prohibited persons would probably stand.

Felons can vote in some states. IL restores voting rights to felons after term of incarceration.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286

Felons can vote in some states. IL restores voting rights to felons after term of incarceration.

Illinois has that beat, the dead even vote here.

Cue emergency ruling that grants felons the right to vote....

Supreme Court allows Texas to enforce new voter ID law for November election

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/18/justices-allow-texas-use-new-voter-id-law/

Ginsberg dissented and said it " likely imposes an unconstitutional poll tax"

She is OK though with New York's actual $340 tax on the Second Amendment.

Supreme Court allows Texas to enforce new voter ID law for November election

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/18/justices-allow-texas-use-new-voter-id-law/

Ginsberg dissented and said it " likely imposes an unconstitutional poll tax"

She is OK though with New York's actual $340 tax on the Second Amendment.

Excellent news and this will be the law in Texas on Nov 4th. Too bad we won't see a similar law in Illinois ever proposed.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting when getting signatures for independent maps I ran into several people who said they were not able to sign because they couldn't vote because they had a past felony. I wish I would have know this, one was an older gentleman (in 50's) with a wife and kids who said he had a felony when he was 18, I remember which house this is, actually two of them I'm going back to talk to them.

Interesting when getting signatures for independent maps I ran into several people who said they were not able to sign because they couldn't vote because they had a past felony. I wish I would have know this, one was an older gentleman (in 50's) with a wife and kids who said he had a felony when he was 18, I remember which house this is, actually two of them I'm going back to talk to them.

That's awesome that you remember the house and it's great that you're going to go back and talk to them. It's the right thing to do.

Interesting when getting signatures for independent maps I ran into several people who said they were not able to sign because they couldn't vote because they had a past felony.

Every Chicago "Get Out The Vote" democrat knows that felons can vote, but its costly, you have to give them a turkey or a ham, give them toys for their kids, drive them to the polls and arrange for a snack and a beverage on the way, then you have to drop all of them off at the various clubs they want to go to that night.

Expensive but its worth it because it puts you in control of a $35 Billion budget:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Tight-Illinois-Budget-Still-Contains-Pet-Projects-266221711.html

Archived