Glock 26 vs. 27 for CCW?

wilessiuc

Whichever you are most comfortable with. I'm personally ok with 9mm for carry. There are some rounds on the market that are pretty impressive as far as ballistics for a 9mm. Really just boils down to what you can shoot the most accurately in a reasonably quick time. I'm a big believer in shot placement. JMO. Good luck with whichever you choose!

I carry a Glock 19 everyday.

I have always been a .45 shooter but a year or so ago, I changed to 9mm. All my handguns are 9mm and I also have a Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm.

Years ago, when the 9mm came into acceptance by police departments, it was easily comparable to the normal .38 special everyone was carrying but that ain't saying much. Cops, once automatics became acceptable, went to .45 acp, then 10mm and now .40S&W.

Now, years later, there have been tremendous advances in bullet design and the modern day 9mm using modern ammo (I like Gold Dot) has given new life to the 9mm.

My reason for changing was just that and also that I can buy a lot more 9mm than .40 or .45 and I shoot a lot so that is important.

I had a Glock 26 but i really found that the 19 was just as easy to conceal in an IWB holster.

My personal philosophy about carrying conceaedl is that pistol is for personal self defense only. I will never mnake an arrest, or hold someone at gunpoint waiting for the police. It is for use in only the most extreme situations, and hopefully, never.

In my mind, 9mm is more than adequate and because I shoot on average of at least once a week, I will be pretty accurate.

You can read all kinds of horror stories of bad guys not being stopped by a 9mm round but you can also read all kinds of stories about 9mm doing a fantastic job. Every situation is differtent and to me, 9mm works just fine.

Except when we are camping/hiking in bear country out west when I carriy a Glock 10mm with 240 gr solid cast bullets.

But how many times are you going to run into a Grizzly in a convenience store?

I forgot to add:

LET THE GREAT CALIBER DEBATE BEGIN!

Whichever caliber you can hit the target with.

I love 40 cal, and have carried one, but I plan on carrying an XDS 9mm when it comes out. Why? Because I feel more comfortable with a 9mm in such a small weapon. If you are comfortable with a 40, then carry a 40, but if there is any question, you should probably be carrying a 9mm. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my tactical multicam SCH-I500.

Sold my Glock 26, wasn't accurate.(?) My Glock 30 is. If I want to carry a 9mm, I'll wear something thinner than a Glock.

I've ran into the same thing with my 26. Some of the cheaper target ammo wasn't grouping good at all. But i've found a couple brands that do pretty good. All the higher end stuff does well in it. Like yours though, my 30 is a real good shooter. It actually fires anything well. Much better than i am capable of!

I love 40 cal, and have carried one, but I plan on carrying an XDS 9mm when it comes out. Why? Because I feel more comfortable with a 9mm in such a small weapon. If you are comfortable with a 40, then carry a 40, but if there is any question, you should probably be carrying a 9mm. Just my 2 cents.

Any indications as to when the XDS 9mm will be out?

I am planning on picking up the xds 45 when it shows up. I've got my name on the list at chuck's.

Sold my Glock 26, wasn't accurate.(?) My Glock 30 is. If I want to carry a 9mm, I'll wear something thinner than a Glock.

I've ran into the same thing with my 26. Some of the cheaper target ammo wasn't grouping good at all. But i've found a couple brands that do pretty good. All the higher end stuff does well in it. Like yours though, my 30 is a real good shooter. It actually fires anything well. Much better than i am capable of!

Who says the Glock 26 isn't accurate?

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/frankwhitmore/igold%202012/IMAG0025.jpg

30 rounds @ 30 feet.

-- Frank

From what I heard XDS9 should be out august-ish, that's what the springfield rep told me at the gat factory shoot. So I maybe taking the dive to get that G36 this weekend...

Who says the Glock 26 isn't accurate?

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/frankwhitmore/igold%202012/IMAG0025.jpg

30 rounds @ 30 feet.

-- Frank

I wasn't saying that the 26 isn't accurate. It is as accurate as any weapon in it's size. My groups at 30 feet are good also. Just not with certain ammo.

From what I heard XDS9 should be out august-ish, that's what the springfield rep told me at the gat factory shoot. So I maybe taking the dive to get that G36 this weekend...

This is what I heard as well. Summertime release, which probably means it'll be november before you actually can get your hands on one. :tinfoilhat:

I've also noticed that on occasion the .40 cal Glocks will jam. Not often, but once in a great while. A limp hold wasn't why.

That's an interesting observation. Any thoughts as to why?

I have owned a G22 and G27 for many years. In fact, the G27 was my first semiauto pistol, and the G22 my second. I have literally put thousands of rounds through them (mostly at pistol matches like IDPA and IPSC). I don't recall EVER having a jam using either, other than a few failures to fire due to light primer strikes on reloaded ammunition (most of the ammo I've fired through them were reloads, and I had some batches years ago with issues of not seating the primers deep enough. My 1911s ... yes, they do jam occasionally. But the Glocks ... never. I am just curious as to what you think may have caused your jams.

I used to be a Glock hater but then again, I used to smoke two packs a day, too.

Now I am a tobacco nazi and have been ever since I was diagnosed with cancer in 2000.

I am also a Glock fanatic after i decided to stop listening to all the ant-Glock hype and gave a Glock a fair test (and I also learned a great deal I didn't know about trigger control from Fortress Defense)

The Glock trigger is a work of art. I have now changed my G19 gen 4 to a Ghost 4.5 (pound pull) trigger and have fallen in love all over again.

I still love 1911s but if I had to get in a fight, I would rather have one of my Glocks.

• 5 weeks later...

I use the G21 & G36. I have never had a jam using any factory FMJ or JHP ammunition. Est. about 3000 and 500 rounds through each respectively. The G36 has not seen reloads yet.

I can not say that for my S&W 645 or my ODV (long gone) Viking Seecamp design. The 645 was very picky on what JHP it would feed.

But specific to the models in question I have no experience with Glocks in 9mm or 40 S&W. In 45 though my experience has been 100% positive.

I considered a 26 or 27 at first but after viewing the dimensions compared to a 19/23, i can conceal the 19/23 about just as easily as the 26/27,yes they are smaller but IMHO not small enough to justify it. I started w/ a 23 but have since moved to a 19 as ammo is cheaper and i can train more and shoot much much more. I shoot about once a week to every other week now. I'd rather have something that feels good in my hand and that i shoot well than something that is a bit easier to conceal but i don't shoot as well.

Archived