Carrying through a Street Festival Conundrum

Maxim

Ive run into a sort of paradox. I know we cannot carry in public gatherings that are permitted. However, last weekend there was a major street festival on my block in Chicago. All entrances to this festival were posted so it is clear that I could not carry. There was also security checking bags at the entrances. However, in order for me to get to and from my apartment I MUST pass right through the middle of this festival. There was simply no other way to get to my home without having to wait in line, go through the bag check, and walk right past a GFZ sign and walk a block to finally get to my abode. I dont think the public right of way statute applies to permitted public gatherings; only parks. So what does the law say to this situation. Would I be in immediate violation if I take one step outside my home since I am entering festival territory? It feels like a violation of my constitutional rights if there is no possible way for me to enter or exit my home with my CCW.

It’s addressed in the FCCA statute. Prohibited areas include:

(10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.

kwc is correct. Security checking bags shouldn't be an issue if you are carrying on your person. No need to disarm.

I could see this becoming an uncomfortable situation at best if they are also wanding or using metal detectors. At that point, I guess you are relying on the security folks to understand the law as well as you do. I'd say that's ripe for a legal challenge...

(10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.

I carried through a street festival to my apartment a few times. The interesting thing is if you told security you were going to your apartment they didn't search your bag. So there must be some other 4th ammendment legal things that go beyond carrying in this type of situation.

They aren't checking bags for safety reasons, they are checking to make sure no one is bringing booze in, can't have someone not drinking the overpriced beverages at one of those things.

I carried through a street festival to my apartment a few times. The interesting thing is if you told security you were going to your apartment they didn't search your bag. So there must be some other 4th ammendment legal things that go beyond carrying in this type of situation.

The illusion of security is what's been given to those clamoring for security.

True story- I have Bears season tickets. Several years ago the NFL started requiring pat downs (above the waist only) to get into games, before they went to wanding and finally to full on walk through metal detectors. The first game with the pat downs I was with my brother, a CPD lieutenant at the time. He showed his star at the gate, but was told "no guns allowed." He replied that Soldier Field is Chicago Park District property, not owned by the Bears or NFL and he was going to carry as part of his job duties. We were directed to go talk supervisor at the next gate. So we walked to the next gate. My brother kept his star cupped and covered in his hand, his gun on his waist and just went through, not saying anything. The security patted him down and didn't find anything. Like I said, his gun was on his waist. From that game on, he did the same thing and security NEVER asked what that bulge on his waist was. Same thing when they started with the wands- star cupped and covered in his hand, gun on his waist. The metal detectors never "detected" his metal gun. Needless to say, we thought the full walk through metal detectors would cause him some issues, but again, no. There is an EASY way to get a gun through them, at least at Soldier Field, which I will not share on a forum. Send me a PM if you're interested to know. If you're a regular on the forum, I'll tell you the rest of this story.

Illusion of security is right.

They're checking bags for alcohol mostly.

I just sneak my bag full of beer in through an alley, side street, or apartment walkway from the alley. ;)

I knew some med students once who put a keg in a wheelchair, put an overcoat and a hat on it, bought a ticket for it, and wheeled it into the stadium for a football game.

Archived