Meyers vs Schmitz

jmeyers

chibooey,

I think I can speak for all of us that have litigation going, we are doing it to stand up for whats right and to help each other out. Eventually 1 or more of us will succeed in it.

But it is you in this fight. A lot of people should be thankful for your desire to make things right.

Hearing was held today. State didn't get their motion to remand and we didn't get any relief, but the Judge gets the fundamental and core issue. He would like to see proposed orders from both sides and took it under advisement for 14 days for those orders to be prepared.

Thanks to Valinda and Mike for being there, it means a bunch...

Valinda should be along to chime in but the judge did leave this thought with us as he exited the Court Room:

If I get a DUI, I am given notice and a hearing before my Drivers License is revoked.

Hopefully this provides insight into how he's leaning. We'll see what he does in 14 days.

hopefully that means they effed up haha. although I kind of thought you would get relief.

Wow a judge that actually cares about getting it right and wants to learn more about the law (what a novel idea). And, as usual, the State putting its foot in its mouth yet again. These AAGs have insane caseloads, seem grossly incompetent at times. As I'm looking to pick up shop and leave, this will set an interesting precedent.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

latetotheparty - my mistake can be your lesson

Keep your IL Drivers License and you'll be fine. Thats what it seems to be boiling down to, if I wouldn't of turned in my IL Drivers License I would've been considered a IL Resident :)

Don't know about Florida, but any state I've lived in required me to surrender my out-of-state license before they would issue me a license for my current address.

And only gave me around 30 days to do that.

Of course that does not apply to active duty military.

It's all "dollar" oriented.

Keeping your Illinois driver's license to "maintain residency" is not permitted. You are required to notify the Illinois Secretary of State of an address change, within 10 days if you move. Moving out of state is a different matter, as you generally are given more time to get a driver's license in the new state (Illinois gives new "immigrants" 90 days after moving to Illinois from another state to get an Illinois driver's license).

Maybe it was my case oral argument. Something somewhere said Illinois Drivers license or ID Card services as residency. How you get around it, like i said I'm not an attorney :) but simply maintaining a locale with a IL address, such as a friend, seems to meet the purpsoe

Enough of my ramblings, back to waiting...

Just ways around it. Legally you could maintain IL Residency. All required is a IL address. State defines IL Residency for a CCW as having a IL Drivers License or ID card. DONE! Is it legal? Im not an attorney but thats the stance they took in the Trame Dep

If you're referring to the deposition that occurred pursuant to the Samuel v. Trame lawsuit, I don't think that deposition addressed the legality of maintaining legal residency in Illinois (along with a driver's license) once a person moves to another state. That would depend upon multiple factors, including the new state's regulations.

That deposition did, of course, confirm that an Illinois driver's license or ID card serves as evidence of residency in Illinois when qualifying for a FOID or FCCL (which is not news to any of us nonresidents).

Maybe it was my case oral argument. Something somewhere said Illinois Drivers license or ID Card services as residency.

That statement was absolutely made in Trame's deposition in Samuel v. Trame, and in a deposition from a prior case Mr. Maag submitted as an exhibit to his complaint in Samuel v. Trame. It is also spelled out in the ISP's definition of "Illinois resident" in the administrative code. It does NOT appear in the FCCA as such.

To your previous point, an official State ID is acceptable for FOID and FCCL?

Yes, an IL driver's license or IL state ID can be used as evidence of residency when applying for a CCL and FOID.

You can legally possess only one or the other, and cannot legally possess an IL ID if you have a driver's license from another state.

To your previous point, an official State ID is acceptable for FOID and FCCL?

Yes, an IL driver's license or IL state ID can be used as evidence of residency when applying for a CCL and FOID.

You can legally possess only one or the other, and cannot legally possess an IL ID if you have a driver's license from another state.

AFAIK it's perfectly legal to have both an IL DL and IL ID.

Archived