What States Must Someone Live In to Apply for Non Resident

This is confusing because I have seen several sets of answers and am aware that ISP has changed the states someone must live in to be eligible to qualify for a non resident permit. Yet, I cannot find any answers on the ISP site.

I have a friend from Tennessee that would like to obtain such a permit but nothing I can find states that TN is a "good state".

Does anyone have authoritative information?

From the ISP FSB FAQ:

Can out-of-state residents obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License?

Yes. However, only residents of states or territories of the United States that have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act are eligible.

How can I find out if my state's laws are considered "substantially similar?"

The Illinois State Police sent a survey to each state to determine which of them has laws that are substantially similar. Currently, the only states considered to be substantially similar are Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia.

Tennessee isn't one of them. They change every year.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/Faq.aspx

CCL Frequently Asked Questions

Can out-of-state residents obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License?

What does "substantially similar" mean?

How can I find out if my state's laws are considered "substantially similar?"

They change every year.

Haven't they only changed once since CCL implementation? Not sure how often the ISP sends out surveys and reevaluates.

In other words don't bother. Unless you live in IL you can't get one. That's the way the system was set up so that nobody else could get one.

The FOIA stats and some TX posters show out of state folks with a non resident license, but if the ISP reevaluates (with no advance notice) and decides your home state is no longer "similar", you lose your IL license with no compensation.

In other words don't bother. Unless you live in IL you can't get one. That's the way the system was set up so that nobody else could get one.

Not true!

Pretty much true !

As of 12/31/17, there were 47 non resident CCLs issued between VA and TX with 1 from AR pending. Dont recall seeing a FOIA data post with updated info.

7 others had been issued but were revoked when the list of similar states was modified by the ISP.

So, yes, percentage is small, but there were only 73 non resident applications. Of those, only 1 was denied with the rest issued or pending processing.

Not saying I agree with non reciprocity or the unannounced decision making around changing similar states and revoking prior approved states.

Not true!

Pretty much true !

I gotta go with oorah and say it’s not true. It looks like not allowing any out of staters carry in IL was the goal, but it was just the way things worked out. Most states don’t have the same standards as Illinois, for good or stupid.

Archived