Photo

Background checks backlogged

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Stew45

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Anyone else make a purchase recently and are waiting 2 even 3x as long as the usual 72 hours for the background check to clear. I found a PPQ 45 Ive wanted for a while at my local store so I decided to buy it. Since then 7 days have gone by and the background check still hasnt come back. Ive heard from some other people they were running 11 days plus on getting checks back. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I understand a theres a lot of new owners rushing out to make purchases for doomsday right now but approaching 2 weeks seems a bit excessive.

#2 RacerDave6

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

Yes, they are all behind. 10-14 days for many. There were 19,000 requests in just a few days, a new record. ISP and FBI are short staffed just like everyone else and working from home if possible. It will take a while to clear the backlog.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#3 mkhalil61

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:17 PM

Whats the point of having an unconstitutional FOID card?

If you are active you should be approved.... 

#4 Stew45

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

I wouldn’t mind the food card if the system ran similar to the DMV, I don’t understand why something like that can’t be set in place. If you’re pulled over and have a suspended license they know as soon as your information is run. How hard would it be to have a system set that you could instantly check whether a foid was valid or revoked? At least then everyone that was valid could be on their way with just a simple scan of a card. If anything it just seems the system itself is a waste of time and resources.

#5 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:47 PM

Anyone else make a purchase recently and are waiting 2 even 3x as long as the usual 72 hours for the background check to clear. I found a PPQ 45 Ive wanted for a while at my local store so I decided to buy it. Since then 7 days have gone by and the background check still hasnt come back. Ive heard from some other people they were running 11 days plus on getting checks back. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I understand a theres a lot of new owners rushing out to make purchases for doomsday right now but approaching 2 weeks seems a bit excessive.

Whats the point of having an unconstitutional FOID card?

If you are active you should be approved.... 

Well, time for a lawsuit that uses this situation to illustrate that the FOID card causes actual and permanent harm in delaying Second Amendment rights in times when they are needed most.

The FOID card does not take precedence over the Constitution and the rights it forbids the government at any level from preventing the timely right of the People to exercise, and if it does as this is showing, then it is inarguably unconstitutional.

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 29 March 2020 - 01:48 PM.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of free speech, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."  
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

"One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest." —Me

"Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck."—Samurai proverb

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."—Robert Heinlein

"I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist."—Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it."—Will Rogers

Posted Image     

#6 lilguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

It prevents the federal government from infringing on gun rights but that hasn’t stopped every gun law enacted. In Illinois our constitution guarantees the right subject to police powers. Let’s hope this doesn’t test the extent to which govt can extend its police powers in a national emergency.

#7 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

I'm surprised so many shops are waiting that long, they are allowed to proceed with he transfer on the 4t business day, correct?

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#8 Stew45

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

From what Ive read 72 hours is the minimum wait time. If ISP takes longer, you wait longer. Id hate to see something cause them to take up to 30 days then what happens. Most shops that Ive seen if you havent picked up within 29 days you get charged a restocking fee and the background check is no longer any good.

#9 InterestedBystander

• 7,518 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:57 PM

I'm surprised so many shops are waiting that long, they are allowed to proceed with he transfer on the 4t business day, correct?

incorrect, although that might be federal policy only.

ISP FAQ:

Q What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

A The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 29 March 2020 - 03:13 PM.

NRA Life Member; ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member; GOA Member
🇺🇸

#10 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:12 PM

As has been discussed, I bought and was told 7 to 10 days
I called on 7th day and was approved.
Two guys who were there to pick up that same day said they were at 10 days.
No one was p***** off, we all have valid FOID’s...it’s what it is!
None of us were in a hurry to kill someone

Yes, we stood around telling stories and joking about tons of stuff!

If you’ve just this minute found out that there is a backlog due to the crisis being played out around the world, not just Illinois, sorry!

#11 ddan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

ISP just cleared a batch this afternoon that were submitted 3/21.  Hard to say if this is an automated process grinding away or someone working on Sunday..  

Edited by ddan, 29 March 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#12 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

incorrect, although that might be federal policy only.

ISP FAQ:

Q What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

A The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

Ah, the only time I've ever been delayed was buying a rifle in IN, so I just picked it up the 4th day

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#13 sdf4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

If I buy a rifle in A adjoining state do they run it through there system. Never have bought something in another state I'm not familiar with the process.
We will rage against the dying of the light. For We will not go down easily and will go not got down alone.

Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

G'Kar of the Narn Empire
Ambassador to Babylon 5

#14 Magnum

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

8 day wait, Wednesday to the next Thursday night. Doesn't matter if you have plenty of other guns and all the ranges are closed...

#15 Craigcelia

• 2,660 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

So I guess the NICS check isn't automated?  

I just won a Springfield Armory 1911 on DLD-VIP, and was really hoping it wouldn't take that long!

Craig

NRA / ISRA Life Member

GOA Member

1 on 1 Illinois Renewal
Utah CCL?  PM Me.

#16 lilguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

4 days at beginning of march.

#17 RandyP

• Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

What's this you say? The GLOBAL Covid-19 pandemic, spreading like crazy throughout the USA, is causing paperwork delays at an already woefully understaffed State office?

I reckon the right time to buy a gun, like the right time to acquire ventilators, blew past quite a number of weeks ago?

That said, I do hope you get approved soon AND that your LGS is still open when you do.

Good luck.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#18 davel501

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:45 PM

Was at Second Amendment Sports in McHenry today. Seemed like business as usual. Background checks were coming back before the 72 hour wait was up and they had a decent / about the regular amount of stock. The only thing that really looked picked over were the handgun safes.

#19 Illini2A312

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

I just won a Springfield Armory 1911 on DLD-VIP, and was really hoping it wouldn't take that long!

Was thinking about this lately. I wonder if instant approvals (where no records are found) are automated, but wouldn't be surprised if matches when delayed have to be reviewed by a human.

#20 dukemason

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

Just got approval notice from my local FFL. It was 10 days but fortunately I wasn't in a hurry.

#21 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

You're going through the FTIP system.

#22 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:24 PM

I can't remember the amount of time to pass for a "delayed" NICS checked with no response that allows a sale to proceed off the top of my head.

The rules are different for states that operate their own system.

Your delay is as long as it takes in the FTIP system.  Without a favorable result from a legal challenge, nothing to do but wait unfortunately in this state I hope to not be living in much past this summer.

#23 Benbow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:12 AM

I've run a lot of background checks in the last 2 weeks.  NONE have been delayed.  All approved in the first 4 seconds, which for me is unusual.

Guns and ammo are flying off the shelf in Madison County, I'm basically sold out of my pre-panic inventory, have some post panic shotguns, pistols, AR pistols, 9mm ammo and .223 ammo in stock, and a LOT of 12 ga buckshot on the way, much of which has been pre-sold.

There may be issues, but I have had none with the state on any of my customers this past month.

Benbow City Sports

Wood River, IL 

www.illinoissbr.com

#24 papa

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:33 PM

Benbow , sending PM.

#25 Fasteddie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:15 PM

Mine just got delayed during a purchase a few hours ago.
Sucks!

#26 Fasteddie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:00 AM

I was cleared yesterday. 9 regular days. 5 business days.
This is a purchase in Indiana.

#27 Dodsfall

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:24 PM

Currently 8 days and still waiting for the background check. I'll try to remember to update the forum once I clear.

My carry renewal is just about to the 5 month mark. I sent the renewal application December 8th and it just changed from "Under Review" to "Approved" within the last couple of days online.

They were very quick to charge the renewal fee, that went through instantly. We know where the priorities are.

The NICS system is being used heavily the last couple of months, but they are still currently sitting at around a 30-second response time according to a source inside the facility.

Edited by Dodsfall, 30 April 2020 - 06:25 PM.

#28 Dodsfall

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

There was an 11 day wait for the background check to clear as of today.

My renewed CCL finally showed up in the mail today as well.

Edited by Dodsfall, 02 May 2020 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users