Photo

FFL's moving/closing as a result of the new dealer licencing act- MEGA THREAD

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 mellis

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

"The Gun Doctor" Henning, Illinois closed up shop.

#32 FrankH

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Lazy S in Flora - Closed

#33 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

I was thinking that the list of towns mentioned in this thread that are experiencing small shop closures would be a valid Geography category for an Illinois Jeopardy game. If you can say within 50 miles where any of them are in this State? You win a prize. So says this city-clicker mope anyway.

Edited by RandyP, 15 June 2019 - 10:12 AM.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#34 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun.   You need a FFL to transfer the gun from out of state.    This law violates the second Amendment. 

This law should be challenged in court based on its impact - FFL's closing. 

When LWW's scream about anti-abortion laws closing abortuaries and causing them to close, these same LWW's are Sergeant Shultz ("I see nothing!") about FFL's closing. 

Edited by BobPistol, 15 June 2019 - 11:41 AM.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#35 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

"When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun. "

That IS technically true, but it also presumes that all the large gun shoppes and big box stores that already comply with the new laws, or will soon, will suddenly decide they hate getting all that new business and close shop too? 

Anything possible, but not everything is probable. A decade or so ago I'd have staked everything I owned that in my lifetime Illinois would never allow concealed carry to exist. It only took 4 years for the courts to intervene and prove me wrong.

Edited by RandyP, 15 June 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#36 Patriots & Tyrants

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun.   You need a FFL to transfer the gun from out of state.    This law violates the second Amendment. 

When LWW's scream about anti-abortion laws closing abortuaries and causing them to close, these same LWW's are Sergeant Shultz ("I see nothing!") about FFL's closing. 

IMO a better avenue of attack will be this disenfranchises rural gun owners by removing their ability to easily access an FFL; similar to how closing down voting locations in rural areas or predominantly X or Y areas has been ruled unconstituional before.

#37 Patriots & Tyrants

• 4,533 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

Added more TY you all who have shared

#38 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

I wonder out loud of any of the 'franchise' type gun shops like Point Blank will seize the opportunity to establish strategically placed 'rural' stores around the State?

I freely admit that I don't know enough about demographics and required market share to determine if such an idea is financially sound.

#39 RECarry

• 2,409 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

Does anyone see an underhanded motive for cronies to profit from driving small shops and FFL's out of business?

A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#40 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

G M Bartelmay Guns
911 W Jefferson St
Morton IL 61550
Permanently Closed

They have been there for a long time.

Edited by spec5, 15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM.

NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#41 InterestedBystander

• 6,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone see an underhanded motive for cronies to profit from driving small shops and FFL's out of business?

They wanted to close Chucks but they could not legally write a law to just do that. There have been claims of lawsuits to be filed but I suppose thats difficult to do until the actual rules and details are posted and approved.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#42 Patriots & Tyrants

• 4,533 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

G M Bartelmay Guns
911 W Jefferson St
Morton IL 61550
Permanently Closed

They have been there for a long time.

Added

Really getting p***** seeing so many small , often multi-generational businesses getting stomped by the state.

#43 FarmHand357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

My local FFL, dealing out of his home, has given up because of this new law.

Punish the crime, not the freedom

#44 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,957 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

IMO a better avenue of attack will be this disenfranchises rural gun owners by removing their ability to easily access an FFL; similar to how closing down voting locations in rural areas or predominantly X or Y areas has been ruled unconstituional before.

Isn't there a court case or several right now regarding the onerous licensing and doctor hospital admitting practices that are making it well-nigh impossible for many women to get abortions in several states? I would think that kind of legislated dissuasion would be an exact parallel to this situation, and thus with access to a right being prevented by legislating it out of local availability would be the same for both cases.

In my view, BOTH rights should be left to the individual wishing to exercise them how they feel best, and where they want to go to do so, and the governments both State and Federal, as well as any local units of, should be prevented from passing ANY laws that interfere with that.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#45 mikew

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

When the last drug store or grocery in a Chicago neighborhood closes, and CTA to the nearest store involves a transfer from one bus to another,   it's a "desert" situation and generates a lot of hand-wringing media attention.  Never mind that the parent company couldn't afford to keep the store open.

We'll have FFL deserts in IL soon.

#46 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

Isn't there a lawsuit about this? If not what are they waiting for? All of those shops forced to close because of excessive fees and regulations HAS to be something to sue about.

#47 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Yes.

The crony FFL's won't have the new law enforced on them while the law is strictly enforced on non-cronies.

When the competition is out of business the cronies get more money by raising their prices. 

When only cronies get enriched, then the law becomes like the state statute against adultery - it simply won't be enforced at all (and the entire regulatory apparatus is just filled with cronies who don't work anyway by then)

This same pattern goes for any regulation or law on the books.   They won't enforce it in a way to make cronies' costs go up. 

Edited by BobPistol, 16 June 2019 - 11:39 AM.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#48 mikew

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

Yes.

The crony FFL's won't have the new law enforced on them while the law is strictly enforced on non-cronies.

When the competition is out of business the cronies get more money by raising their prices. 

When only cronies get enriched, then the law becomes like the state statute against adultery - it simply won't be enforced at all (and the entire regulatory apparatus is just filled with cronies who don't work anyway by then)

This same pattern goes for any regulation or law on the books.   They won't enforce it in a way to make cronies' costs go up. 

Anyone care to name such a crony FFL?

#49 RECarry

• 2,409 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Far-fetched conspiracy theory: once local FFL's and gun shops are plowed under, the stage is set for Madigan's cronies to own the market with stores they control.

A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#50 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:04 AM

Saying 'far-fetched conspiracy' is kinda redundant.. isn't it? Akin to saying "crooked politician".  - lol

#51 mikew

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Far-fetched conspiracy theory: once local FFL's and gun shops are plowed under, the stage is set for Madigan's cronies to own the market with stores they control.

Please share the names of the cronies' stores.

#52 RECarry

• 2,409 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

Just a theory, mikew. Once the existing stores and FFL's are shuttered, cronies may be the ones who benefit. What usually follows prohibition, Walmart-style price wars, over-regulation? 

Is Madigan so principled he wouldn't make money off of firearms  anyway possible?

#53 mikew

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:50 PM

Just a theory, mikew. Once the existing stores and FFL's are shuttered, cronies may be the ones who benefit. What usually follows prohibition, Walmart-style price wars, over-regulation? 

Is Madigan so principled he wouldn't make money off of firearms  anyway possible?

You are free to entertain and repeat your Far-fetched conspiracy theory.

Edited by mikew, 17 June 2019 - 10:00 PM.
edited several times

#54 Mick G

Former Member

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

I wonder out loud of any of the 'franchise' type gun shops like Point Blank will seize the opportunity to establish strategically placed 'rural' stores around the State?

I freely admit that I don't know enough about demographics and required market share to determine if such an idea is financially sound.

I had been hoping that Academy would open up a few stores up here but I doubt they think it's worth the hassle. I can almost see Dicks from my house and refuse to go there. Academy has a great selection and very good prices. While it's not a mom and pop FFL-LGS, I love that place. The LGS that I shoot at seems to have given up months ago.

They don't even try and give you the sell anymore. If they make the list I'll post them.

#55 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

Now that I'm 70 I have witnessed the closure of jevery mom-n-pop store of my 'yoot'. I no longer recgnize the store fronts in my neighborhood, and in truth until I choose to learn Spanish I can't even read most of the window signs to be certain what goods they are offering to those who can. Such is the nature of the changing face of America and small business I reckon. 

I frequently read on this and other gun forums posts by folks who visit the brick&mortar places to fondle guns and then leave to buy them online elsewhere. Can't exactly help that brick&mortar joint thrive? I'm 'guilty' of doing a LOT of my shopping on Amazon Prime for the cost savings and shopping convenience their Same-1- 2 Day free delivery offers. Most of MY clothes come from that world famous fashion house - Walmart. Same goes for a lot of things around my house.

I expect that many small-town stores of all merchandise across America will fade into history and/or be replaced by others. These new legislative actions DO put a new financial burden on all gun businesses. Those successful enough to bear that burden will continue, those for whom that investment is a make or break situation? Won't.

Edited by RandyP, 19 June 2019 - 09:16 AM.

#56 Mick G

Former Member

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

Now that I'm 70 I have witnessed the closure of jevery mom-n-pop store of my 'yoot'. I no longer recgnize the store fronts in my neighborhood, and in truth until I choose to learn Spanish I can't even read most of the window signs to be certain what goods they are offering to those who can. Such is the nature of the changing face of America and small business I reckon. 

I frequently read on this and other gun forums posts by folks who visit the brick&mortar places to fondle guns and then leave to buy them online elsewhere. Can't exactly help that brick&mortar joint thrive? I'm 'guilty' of doing a LOT of my shopping on Amazon Prime for the cost savings and shopping convenience their Same-1- 2 Day free delivery offers. Most of MY clothes come from that world famous fashion house - Walmart. Same goes for a lot of things around my house.

I expect that many small-town stores of all merchandise across America will fade into history and/or be replaced by others. These new legislative actions DO put a new financial burden on all gun businesses. Those successful enough to bear that burden will continue, those for whom that investment is a make or break situation? Won't.

You can take the written exam at the SOS in about 15 languages now. I find that ridiculous. If you cant read ENGLISH then you shouldn't be driving. The signs are in English.

As for the LGS that I go to I have bought a few guns on impulse there. The gun I was looking at was something I was seriously considering buying. When I asked if I could dry fire it they said no. Do you have a snap cap so I can try out the trigger? Well no, we don't want to have people dry firing the gun, not buying it and the person who does buy it finds out it's broken. Not exactly the sell like they used to plus it's .40 that you are trying to unload, there were 5 in the case. There is still 5 in the case. It wasn't a.22 where dry firing would even hurt it.

I do NO shopping on Amazon but buy plenty of shirts from Gucci, I mean Walmart and as of late Tar'get.

Tarjay for when you need the finest. Walmart really ticked me off when they treated me like a criminal.

#57 mikew

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

Edited out to refocus on the topic.

#58 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

The Ridge Gun Shop

Herod, IL

Closed permanently.

Shawnee Gun Service

Elizabethtown, IL

Closed Permanently.

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#59 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

I wonder out loud how many small town mom-n-pop shoppes in Illinois - regardless of products sold -  have closed over the past 5 years. MY primary frame of reference is that of the many storefronts and strip malls in my neighborhood in a major city (Chicago). In that brief 5 year period I've seen a number of places change operations 2-3 times, some still remain empty. 

I suspect many small retail businesses have a tough time surviving in an Online/Amazon/Big Box Store marketplace. Gun emporiums included.

Illinois has been a very unfriendly place for small business for a MIGHTY long time. New legislation has not improved that reality.

Edited by RandyP, 16 July 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#60 rebel49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:19 PM

Leber Custom Engraving

Leland, IL.

Closed April 1, 2019 after 40 years.

Primarily gunsmithing business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users