CCLRB Denials - Reports and Trend Analysis

kwc

The Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) is required to provide a monthly report to the Governor and to the General Assembly summarizing its decisions. I've attached copies of these reports below and will continue to add more as I receive them.

Please note that these reports do not denote timeframe or location from which the applications were made. The board may choose to group their reviews by location of origin, reason for the original objection, or based on another grouping, so don't get hung up on the fact that there are far more objections during one month than another.

Happy browsing,

kwc

1 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

2 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

3 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

4 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

5 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

6 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

7 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

8 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

9 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

10 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

11 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT CORRECTED.pdf

12 2016 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

1 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

2 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

3-5 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

6 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

7 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

8 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

9 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

10 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

11 2017 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

12 2017 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

1 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

2 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

3 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

4 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

5 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

6 2018 cclrb monthly and fiscal year-end governor's report.pdf

7 2018 cclrb monthly governor's report.pdf

1 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf 2 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf 3 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf 4 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf 5 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf 6 2019 CCLRB MONTHLY GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

Attached is a summary of 2016, 2017, and 2018 CCLRB decisions (to date), including running totals of reviews and denials. Please note that this reflects actions by the CCLRB starting in 2016 only.

I will attempt to make this a living document as the CCLRB submits additional reports.

Please note that the data provided in the reports (post #1) reflects applications reviewed. In some cases, an application may be denied and later resubmitted by the same applicant. These would be considered again by a subsequent board. Cumulative totals should therefore be viewed as "applications" reviewed/denied by each board and not as "applicants" reviewed or denied.

Calendar Year 2016 summary:

- The CCLRB reviewed 2725 applications during 2016

- They affirmed denial for 437 of those applications

- % denials upheld in 2016 = 16%

- In other words, the CCLRB overturned 84% of the objections.

Update as of Jun 16, 2017:

- The CCLRB reviewed 1,803 applications in the first five months of 2017

- They affirmed denial for 10.1% of those applications. (Note that NONE of the 350 applications were affirmed in Jan.)

- Although there was a dip in April in the number of applications reviewed, May was a record month for the CCLRB (reviewed 456 applications)

Update as of Sep 15, 2017:

- The CCLRB reviewed 3,608 applications in the first eight months of 2017

- They affirmed denial for 13.7% of those applications

- In Aug 2017 the board set a new record for the number of applications reviewed (867)

Update as of Sep 21, 2018:

- The CCLRB reviewed 6134 applications during 2017 and affirmed denial for 17.7% of those applications

- So far in 2018 (through July), the CCLRB reviewed 2811 applications and denied 23% of them

2016-2018 cclrb decisions.pdf

Edited by kwc

Attached is a summary of 2016 CCLRB decisions, including running totals of reviews and denials. Please note that this reflects ONLY 2016 actions by the CCLRB.

I will attempt to make this a living document as the CCLRB submits additional reports.

The bottom line: During the first half of 2016, the board denied licenses to 19 percent of the applicants it reviewed, and overturned the objection for 81% of the applications.

I find this very encouraging!

1st thank you for the work you provide . It must be a labor of love for you

Is there any way to find out Whom objected and why (for what reason) to an application

I think that would be a lot more useful

Is there any way to find out Whom objected and why (for what reason) to an application

Glad to do it... thanks for the "thanks"! :)

At the moment I'm having difficulty even getting summary stats (by city/county)--the FOIA officer now claims all CCLRB proceedings are exempt from FOIA, despite providing these data to me in May. I'm appealing it. But given this push-back it's unlikely they will provide details on the specific sources of the objections.

Thanks for the effort, and it is good to see that the CCLRB is not just rubber-stamping objections.

I appreciate your efforts to get and share this information.

best

mqqn

Thanks KWC! While I suspect Dart is the major objector and he needs to be spanked for his BS objections, I find it a bit discomforting that 19% were found a danger to self and community. Assuming the board is correct in these findings (which is still debatable) why are so many unqualified people even applying? Makes me wonder if other states have similar stats for denials.

Assuming the board is correct in these findings (which is still debatable) why are so many unqualified people even applying? Makes me wonder if other states have similar stats for denials.

Since these are denials that have been elevated to the CCLRB, I'm not sure there is a way to compare these stats to those of other states. Most states don't have a similar process or review board.

Our overall denial rate is FAR less than this--it is below 1%. The CCLRB denials represent a small minority of applications.

Thanks KWC! While I suspect Dart is the major objector and he needs to be spanked for his BS objections,

I and I think many here do too

Glad to do it... thanks for the "thanks"! :)

At the moment I'm having difficulty even getting summary stats (by city/county)--the FOIA officer now claims all CCLRB proceedings are exempt from FOIA, despite providing these data to me in May. I'm appealing it. But given this push-back it's unlikely they will provide details on the specific sources of the objections.

KWC as quoted above in red

If you can find out Whom and why I think/hope you can find a pattern . If you can think of the Ammunition you could give Miss Molly B to at least try a give a good smack down and slapping too

That would put a smile on a whole lot of Faces

Edited by DoverGunner

If you can find out Whom and why I think/hope you can find a pattern . If you can think of the Ammunition you could give Miss Molly B to at least try a give a good smack down and slapping too

That would put a smile on a whole lot of Faces

My prior FOIA request helps answer the "who," at least by county. Look at the pivot table in the spreadsheet Keith44 provided with those data (post #11) in this thread:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61601&hl=

Agree that would be very helpful information.

Assuming the board is correct in these findings (which is still debatable) why are so many unqualified people even applying? Makes me wonder if other states have similar stats for denials.

Since these are denials that have been elevated to the CCLRB, I'm not sure there is a way to compare these stats to those of other states. Most states don't have a similar process or review board.

Our overall denial rate is FAR less than this--it is below 1%. The CCLRB denials represent a small minority of applications.

You are absolutely correct, I failed to look at the total denial rate instead of just the Board reviews. Below 1% is very reasonable in the grand scheme of things. Thanks!

KWC I am not an accountant nor actuary all I saw in Post 11 was 1684 from Cook County and 1071 from Chicago

Sorry but we need to have more details , Who is making the objections in Cook & Chicago . The reasons for their objections .

I am going to say Piddly and Frivolous

KWC I am not an accountant nor actuary all I saw in Post 11 was 1684 from Cook County and 1071 from Chicago

Sorry but we need to have more details , Who is making the objections in Cook & Chicago . The reasons for their objections .

Dart posts this info on the Cook Co Sheriff's website - or did the last time I looked.

Cook Co sheriff has a web page dedicated to their objections

http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/conceal_and_carry.html

Edited by InterestedBystander

Cook Co sheriff has a web page dedicated to their objections

http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/conceal_and_carry.html

Now I am more confused than a blind _ _ _ _ _ at a wienie roast . By the above those objections should not even have a FOID card . Yet they went through a class , paid $$$ for it and were denied . I cannot believe 3+K were that Stupid

Does anyone else see where this is Going too ??????????????

Cook County Applications
Total Sheriff's Office Objections

Basis for Concealed

Carry Objection

Objection

Count

Agg. Battery/Agg. Assault
Battery/Assault
Burglary/Theft/Robbery
Domestic Violence
Drugs
False Personation of Police/Public Employee
Gang Affiliation/Arrest
Gun Crimes
Mental Health
Murder
Orders of Protection
Sex Crimes
Stalking/Threat to Kill
Other
Edited by DoverGunner

3,682 applicants in Cook County were able to pass through the initial screening--they answered all questions to the satisfaction of the ISP, and successfully passed through the initial background check conducted by the ISP. There were no disqualifying convictions in their records, at least to the knowledge of the ISP.

Cook County objected to their applications due to other information (true or not) that led Cook County to conclude these applicants were a danger to themselves or others. And most of that information, according to the chart on the Cook County sheriff's page, is based on arrests--not convictions.

I think most of those 3,682 applicants that were "Darted" believed they qualified, and decided to press forward with their applications. The CCLRB appears to agree with most of them.

Edited by kwc

Concerning the reasons listed:
1200 domestic violence - looks good on Dart's website and in the media but many were actually only reports of DV and were dismissed, a good number of these were found not guilty in court, and we know for a fact several were mistaken identity.

Gun crimes – many were based on past records of gun possession that was ruled unconstitutional by Heller and McDonald – some have had those convictions vacated, others have had to explain this to the CCL RB and the objection was overruled.

Gang affiliation – this is where some objections were filed based on a “contact card” and officer wrote in comments “possible gang affiliation” with no other proof to substantiate.

Murder – These objections were not vetted for accuracy or not based on convictions. Murder convictions (without a pardon or relief granted through the court after 20 years) would be denied by the Illinois State Police and never be entered into the objection process. Those convictions are denied before reaching the point of being entered into the database that law enforcement reviews.

Other – Very possible these are from contact cards, calls to disturbances and the applicant was present and written into the report but possibly not charged– maybe arrested but charges dropped, etc. , if there are convictions, the person would most likely fall under the ISP denial process, not the board.

Hence the reason the CCL Review Board is overriding 80-85% of the objections filed.

Attached is a summary of 2016 CCLRB decisions, including running totals of reviews and denials. Please note that this reflects ONLY 2016 actions by the CCLRB.

The bottom line: During the first half of 2016, the board denied licenses to 19 percent of the applicants it reviewed, and overturned the objection for 81% of the applications.

Well I dont

Well I dont

I have been waiting since july 2015 and keep getting letters every 30 days stating they need 30 more days...

• 1 month later...

Posts #1 and #2 have been updated with data from the July and August reports. In July, the CCLRB reviewed 291 applications and denied 40 of them. The CCLRB reviewed NO applications in August.

I've attempted to obtain county-by-county data twice, but the ISP FOIA officer keeps rejecting the request.

The first attempt in July requested a list of applications sent to the CCLRB (without names) and dates/statuses for each. I had successfully collected this information in April. When denied by the ISP, I appealed to the Attorney General's office and they upheld the denial.

This time, I requested summary totals only instead of a sanitized list of all applications elevated to the CCLRB. The ISP FOIA officer claims that even summary data cannot be disclosed.

The ISP gave the option to appeal (again) or sue the ISP. I plan to try another appeal on the grounds that I'm not asking for records of the CCLRB or objections from a law enforcement agency--just totals reported by county.

For the curious, my second request and the ISP's answer are below.

-----

My FOIA Request:

-----

2. Request summary statistics for every county in Illinois regarding FCCL applications sent to the CCLRB, to date, pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/20. Please provide data in a Microsoft Excel-compatible electronic format with the following column headings:

A. County

B. Total # CCL applications sent to CCLRB since licensing began

C. # of B. above ultimately denied

D. # of B. above ultimately issued

E. # of B. unresolved/awaiting decision by CCLRB

3. For applications currently awaiting a decision by the CCLRB, please provide the total number of applications submitted statewide awaiting resolution according to the length of time that has passed since the application was forwarded to the CCLRB, for the following duration categories:

< 3 months=________

3 to 6 months=________

6 months to 1 year=________

1 to 2 years=________

more than 2 years=________

-----

ISP FOIA Officer's Response:

-----

Your request for summary statistics for every county in Illinois and

applications awaiting a decision by the CCLRB: The Illinois State Police

Freedom of Information Officer is denying your request

for the reasons outlined below:

5 ILCS 140/7(1)(a) Disclosure of the information you have requested is

prohibited by federal or State law or rules and regulations implementing

such laws.

5 ILCS 140/ 7.5(v) Names and information of people who have applied for

or received Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under the Firearm Owners

Identification Card Act or applied for or received a concealed carry

license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, unless otherwise authorized

by the Firearm Concealed Carry Act; and databases under the Firearm

Concealed Carry Act, records of the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board

under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, and law enforcement agency

objections under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

-----

• 1 month later...

I've attempted to obtain county-by-county data twice, but the ISP FOIA officer keeps rejecting the request.

The first attempt in July requested a list of applications sent to the CCLRB (without names) and dates/statuses for each. I had successfully collected this information in April. When denied by the ISP, I appealed to the Attorney General's office and they upheld the denial.

This time, I requested summary totals only instead of a sanitized list of all applications elevated to the CCLRB. The ISP FOIA officer claims that even summary data cannot be disclosed.

The ISP gave the option to appeal (again) or sue the ISP. I plan to try another appeal on the grounds that I'm not asking for records of the CCLRB or objections from a law enforcement agency--just totals reported by county.

Unfortunately, despite submitting a revision to the request and limiting it to purely summary data, my appeal to the Attorney General was denied. It looks as though I won't be able to collect either county-by-county rejections or lag time for applications awaiting review by the CCLRB. ISP claims these data are all protected from FOIA and the Attorney General agrees with the ISP.

Sorry 'bout this...

Edited by kwc

• 1 month later...
  • Molly B. unpinned this topic