CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Data as of 1 Sep 2017

kwc

As of the end of the day on Aug 31, 2017, there were 260,479 active FCCLs and 2,201,391 active FOID cards. The Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) had a backlog of 1,931 applications in the queue for review.

The first attachment below was obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Illinois State Police. In addition to the totals just mentioned, this document includes a table that captures the current cumulative totals for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs) issued to nonresidents and residents since the program began. Note that these totals represent the total number ever ISSUED, and are not adjusted for those that have since been revoked or cancelled. This table also includes totals for CCLs that have been denied, revoked, or are currently awaiting action from the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB).

The second attachment contains a trend analysis based on prior FOIA requests. Raw/calculated data are in the table, followed by some rudimentary graphs that paint a visual picture of where we've been and where we stand today.

For those tracking the CCLRB backlog, note that it rose in June and dropped again in July and August.

Good news: The average number of new CCL applications per day has gone back up. An average of 80 apps/day were submitted to the ISP in July. In August this was back up to 142.

You can view last month's post at this link:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66427&hl=

Questions, please ask.

FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Sep 2017.pdf

CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Trend Analysis - 1 Sep 2017.pdf

Back quite a while ago, I was talking with people doing major studies on this at local universities and they predicted that we wouldn't even get to 250k licensees for 5 years after the CCL was introduced, and that the state would level off at that number for various economic, social, and statutory reasons. At this point, it's not even four years past the initial issuance and we've exceeded that by more than 10,000, and the rate of applications and approvals seems to be on an upswing.

This is just amazing news.

I suspect that there would be many more permits issued if not for the cost and the public transportation prohibition. I personally know several people who don't apply simply because they rely on public transportation and thus would be spending money for a license they couldn't realistically use.

Those issues seem like the low hanging fruit that is keeping people from applying, though no doubt the sheer number of prohibited locations is also a deterrent.

I suspect that there would be many more permits issued if not for the cost and the public transportation prohibition. I personally know several people who don't apply simply because they rely on public transportation and thus would be spending money for a license they couldn't realistically use.

Those issues seem like the low hanging fruit that is keeping people from applying, though no doubt the sheer number of prohibited locations is also a deterrent.

Those were the factors that were supposed to be the limiting factors that would have leveled the number of licensees at a quarter of a million. So, if the projections are that much off even with the impediments that the Illinois legislature put in place, I would suspect that the number of licensees would be double what it is now if there were fewer restrictions.

Archived