Tribune doubles down on stupid, wants departees arrested.

markthesignguy

The Tribune is carping about "revoked" foid cards that are not turned in, and Firearms Disposition Records not turned in:

they propose in an editorial:

On Friday, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said law enforcement agencies should go after owners who have lost their FOID cards, as his department does. Over the past five years, he said, it has seized about 1,000 guns. But even that is a small share of the total: Last year alone, there were 3,610 revocations in Cook County. Dart also proposed a fee for gun licensing to finance gun recovery efforts by police.

Illinois may not be ready for Dart’s approach, which would involve not only expense but danger to both cops and the individuals they would have to confront. But there is another sensible option: Issue arrest warrants for anyone whose FOID is revoked but who fails to relinquish his guns and file a Firearm Disposition Record.

All gun owners that move OUT of this horrid state have to retain their FOIDS until they put the state boarder irrevocably in their rear view mirror. Otherwise Illinois gun owners are in possession of firearms without a FOID.

Those that have moved out eventually get a Driver's License for their new state. THAT data goes out from their new state's DMV, and when the Illinois State police get it, they REVOKE that Illinois FOID card.

And send a revocation letter to their OLD address. Eventually it ** MIGHT ** get to their new mailbox. Once gun owners leave Illinois it's none of Illinois's $%$#$ business what guns we have.
(* you'd have to see if there is a "DO NOT FORWARD" on the revocation letter's envelope, as well as if there is a "change of address" filed with the Post Office)

So the State doesn't get a lot of those old cards I guess, nor a Firearm Disposition Record.

NOW the Tribune Editorial Board is calling for the issue of arrest warrants to sort it out. FALSE ARREST in MOST of the cases. Can we say : "lawsuits??"

They'd BETTER start realizing that a revoked FOID usually means someone moved out of state and has NOT been turned into a prohibited person nor a criminal by the lamebrain laws of this half-witted state.

edit - and as an additional irony The SAME DAY that the Tribune calls for frivolous arrest warrants, it carries a story of the damages to an arresrted woman who didn't know she had an arrest warrant issued on her.

: https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/opinion/ct-ptb-davich-from-traffic-stop-to-outstanding-warrant-to-jail-st-0225-story.html

Melissa Welch-Latronica had no idea why she got pulled over by a Valparaiso police officer earlier this month.
He informed her that she failed to affix her 2019 sticker to her license plate. She apologized and handed him her driver’s license. Then she waited, and waited.
She noticed a second police car pull up behind the first vehicle. This is when she began feeling anxiety while looking at the squad car’s flashers in her mirror.
“I have no felonies or anything on my record,” she recalled. “I didn’t know what was going on.”
The officer returned to her minivan and asked her step out of it. Why? There was a warrant for her arrest, she was told. It’s from a civil case in 2014 when she failed to appear in court for an unpaid ambulance bill.
Latronica, a single mother of three young children, was on her way to deliver important paperwork to a county agency, she said.
“Or else I could lose my home,” she told the officer.
“Sorry ma’am,” the officer replied.
Latronica was handcuffed behind her vehicle, which was impounded.
Valparaiso police confirmed that an officer transported Latronica to Porter County Jail, where she was booked Feb. 11 and placed into a cell.
“I was scared to death. I had never been in a jail cell. And I couldn't afford the $1,500 bond,” Latronica told me.
Her personal items were confiscated. Her mugshot was taken.

“I was in a cell fit for a murderer,” she recalled. “I slept on disgusting mat on a concrete floor in a tiny room, next to a musty water drain that was more like a sewer. I was treated like a dog from staff members, served food through a door hole, and showered in an open area with actual felons.”
“I had nothing to do but stare at the four concrete walls and listen to catcalls from felons down the hall, or the vomiting from inmates going through drug withdrawals,” she said. “All this because I failed to pay off an ambulance bill. My crime was having a heart attack.”

Then there's this, about the recent Aurora workplace murderer

Pat Quinn was governor from Jan 29, 2009 through Jan 12, 2015.

As Governor of Illinois, Pat Quinn set the staffing level of the ISP FSB, at 45% of need - resulting in HUGE (unlawful no less) delays in the processing of FOID cards
as one of the temper tantrums he could fling at Lawful Illinois Gunowners. These delays became "legendary"...

look at this timing (from wikipedia):
On July 9, 2013, Illinois enacted the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, which established a system for the issuing of concealed carry licenses.

On January 5, 2014, the state police began accepting applications for licenses to carry concealed handguns.

On Jan. 17, 2014, the Aurora mass murderer applied for a firearm owner’s identification card.

He provided his name and birth date for a background check, and falsely answered “no” when asked if he had ever been convicted of a felony.

Thus staffing needs were greatly expanded, from the starvation level of 45%, RIGHT around the time that murderer was "pinging" the system.
IIAC the incoming money from the FCCL applications was used to bolster staffing.

On Jan. 31, 2014. the Aurora mass murderer received his FOID card.

On February 28, 2014, the state police announced that they had begun issuing concealed carry licenses.

On March 6, 2014 he purchased a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson from an Aurora gun dealer. sale was approved, after his name and birth date cleared a second background check.

the Aurora mass murderer applied for a concealed carry license on March 16, 2014, and submitted his fingerprints to expedite the application process.

Those prints produced an FBI record that ultimately led state police to his felony conviction in Mississippi.
On April 17, 2014 his FOID was revoked by ISP and ISP sent a letter notifying him that he could no longer possess a gun.

Well, what do you think? Workload versus staffing levels (new staff no less) as well as the rollout of the FIRST FCCL cards.

ALL stemming from Pat Quinn's petty temper tantrum, ALL happening on Pat Quinn's watch..

I lay a large part of the blame aimed at the Illinois State Police SQUARELY back at Pat Quinn. He has blood on his hands.

Mind you, the Trib is FAR from immune from the lack of journalism in journalism today. I guarantee the writer has little to no idea that the vast majority of FOID revocations are for those that moved out of state. And since, journalists no longer actually investigate all facets like that, and just play to a click or outrage crowd, voila.

Mind you, the Trib is FAR from immune from the lack of journalism in journalism today. I guarantee the writer has little to no idea that the vast majority of FOID revocations are for those that moved out of state. And since, journalists no longer actually investigate all facets like that, and just play to a click or outrage crowd, voila.

The so-called journalist, plus various members of the Editorial Board have been made well aware of the fact that a good number of the revocations are from people moving out of state.

They do not have any interest in correcting their reporting.

The so-called journalist, plus various members of the Editorial Board have been made well aware of the fact that a good number of the revocations are from people moving out of state.

They do not have any interest in correcting their reporting.

That puts them in the other half of today's jornalists, those that either are just activists, or only want the 'clicks', damn the truth.

Obviously the ISP is getting notification that a FOID holder has moved out of state (otherwise they would not set the status to revoked). When that is the case they should set the status to expired thereby not requiring the return of the FOID card and submission of a Firearm Disposition Record. Unfortunately that would make to much sense and not skew the statistics in the favor of the antis.

I left Ill-Noise 1.5 years ago, and haven't received a revocation letter yet.

Probably won't send my FOID/CCW back as they are VERY valuable items. Not many of them exist. When I applied for my Ohio CCW (which I walked out with the same day :cool: ......) the lady behind the desk said she had never seen an Ill-noise CCW before..

Obviously the ISP is getting notification that a FOID holder has moved out of state (otherwise they would not set the status to revoked). When that is the case they should set the status to expired thereby not requiring the return of the FOID card and submission of a Firearm Disposition Record. Unfortunately that would make to much sense and not skew the statistics in the favor of the antis.

I think part of the plan is to scare people leaving the state into surrendering their guns to the state of Illinois.

• 1 month later...

So I moved to INDIANA a short time ago and sent my FOID and CCL to ISP via certified mail. Today I received the enclosed letter, No mention of FOID..Maybe that notice will come later ? Thought some may be interested .

attachicon.gifSCAN_20190329_0001.pdf

OMG, talk about stupidity. Did you notice they listed the wrong States as substantially similar. It changed in February 2017 to Virginia, Arkansas, Texas and Mississippi.

You would think they could at least get that information correct.

I left Ill-Noise 1.5 years ago, and haven't received a revocation letter yet.

Probably won't send my FOID/CCW back as they are VERY valuable items. Not many of them exist. When I applied for my Ohio CCW (which I walked out with the same day :cool: ......) the lady behind the desk said she had never seen an Ill-noise CCW before..

X2. I moved 2 years ago and was still active on the ISP site. I have an Indiana drivers license and carry permit.

I turned mine in via certified mail a month ago, as my FOID was expiring. I don’t want issues from Illinois as I come back to visit family and friends.

They have no clue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, time for a stupid question. When my daughter left Illinois, I called ISP and asked what to do with her FOID card. They said to toss it, keep it for a souvenir, whatever, they didn't care. This was about four years ago. Did the law change? Did ISP rules change? Did something that used to be hit or miss get tightened up? Do I or my daughter need to care?

The last question is really the only important one. In the past I would have said "no" but now that the crazies are solidly in charge in Springfield it's worth asking.

From the ISP's website:

You are required to comply with these requirements within 48 hours of receiving notice from the Illinois State Police.

If they are sending the renovation notice for people that have moved out of state to the old Illinois address (as had been indicated on this forum), it's going to significantly decrease the number of people that actually receive that notice. I think there are a significant number of people moving out of state that the ISP has been informed of that they are taking no action on.

OK, time for a stupid question. When my daughter left Illinois, I called ISP and asked what to do with her FOID card. They said to toss it, keep it for a souvenir, whatever, they didn't care. This was about four years ago. Did the law change? Did ISP rules change? Did something that used to be hit or miss get tightened up? Do I or my daughter need to care?

Having read all the posts here... I think I'm missing something.

-Revoked happens when you do something illegal.

-Lapsed is when you don't renew because you move out of state or otherwise no longer have a need for an FOID.

There are many valid reasons to have an FOID and not own a gun.

Having an FOID does not indicate you have a gun.

Is ISP actively revoking FOIDs that are lapsed? I don't think so...

I would generally agree, soundguy, but moving out of state has been reported as resulting in revocations to FCCL. It has been a while, but I believe someone even posted a copy of the notice and it specified revocation. It generated quite a bit of discussion because neither the act or rules at that time provided for ISP taking such an action.

From the ISP's website:

You are required to comply with these requirements within 48 hours of receiving notice from the Illinois State Police.

If they are sending the renovation notice for people that have moved out of state to the old Illinois address (as had been indicated on this forum), it's going to significantly decrease the number of people that actually receive that notice. I think there are a significant number of people moving out of state that the ISP has been informed of that they are taking no action on.

I would say the overwhelming vast majority of people file an address change with the USPS so for 1 year after moving you get your mail forwarded to your new address. If the revocation happens after 1 year of the move and the USPS forwarding was not renewed, then yeah, the notice will not be received.

I would generally agree, soundguy, but moving out of state has been reported as resulting in revocations to FCCL. It has been a while, but I believe someone even posted a copy of the notice and it specified revocation. It generated quite a bit of discussion because neither the act or rules at that time provided for ISP taking such an action.

Yeah, that was basically why I asked.

Along the lines of moving out of state not being illegal, well, everyone who moves out of Highland Park, or, more precisely, sells a house in Highland Park and moves out of the city, has to pay an exit tax of $5 per $1000 house value. I can definitely see the current state government trying to take a similar bite out of your rear end on your way out of the state.

My FOID was kept in active status by ISP after I moved out of state. I had to move back here after 4 years and found my FOID was still active when I went to apply for a new one.

Same thing happened to my oldest step daughter. She lived in MO. for 7 years and when she moved back to IL. they treated her FOID app as a renewal.

I would say the overwhelming vast majority of people file an address change with the USPS so for 1 year after moving you get your mail forwarded to your new address. If the revocation happens after 1 year of the move and the USPS forwarding was not renewed, then yeah, the notice will not be received.

They only forward first class mail and even then it's far from a perfect system, heck even the regular mail system is not perfect with no address change. When we moved into our current house we still got some of the past resident's mail, pretty much every week (including 1st class stuff) even though they put in a forward to their new address. I have little doubt a lot of these letters go missing even with forwarding enabled.

Something to note, from reading Michigan, Georgia, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Wisconsin, are not a party to the Driver’s License Compact, that means if you relocate to one of those states unless they have an additional mutual agreement with Illinois (and follow it) they will not notify Illinois that you transferred your drivers license.

It seems as though Arizona doesnt notify Illinois of anything as my foid card is still being shown as valid and my Illinois D.L. is also still valid

my C.C.L. renewal letter was sent to my old address about a month ago

I have had a Arizona D.L. for about 10 months now

and Arizona doesnt take or destroy your old out of state D.L.s either

It seems as though Arizona doesnt notify Illinois of anything as my foid card is still being shown as valid and my Illinois D.L. is also still valid

my C.C.L. renewal letter was sent to my old address about a month ago

I have had a Arizona D.L. for about 10 months now

and Arizona doesnt take or destroy your old out of state D.L.s either

I'm guessing this is true it a lot of states even though there is a pack to notify each other, thus a lot of people move and if their DL/FOID doesn't expire within the year of mail forwarding, their renewal paperwork and FOID revocation love note never get to their new address.

Archived