Photo

Appeal under review 2 years

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 waddatoe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

My wife and I took our required classes and applied for CCL at the same time in january of 2016- she received her CCl in the mail in a few weeks, and shortly thereafter I got a letter that my request was denied, and my foid card was now revoked, the reason given was "fugitive from justice". I followed the instructions in the letter and surrendered my foid to the local police station, and travelled to TN to appear in court to address the outstanding warrant I had there. I spent 21 days in jail, paid a fee to the probation office, and asked for some sort of document that I could show to prove that I had taken care of this issue, from both the county courthouse, and the attorney that represented me. Neither could provide documentation for me, so I went home without it. I appealed the ccl denial when I got back home, in march of 2016, and it's been under appeal ever since. I'm not sure what action I can take to make any progress towards reinstatement or even find out how much more of a wait is necessary. A friend of mine mentioned this forum, and after reading some similar threads, I've written my own. 

#2 Rilo

• Supporting Members Team
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

You haven’t said what the crime was, if it was expunged. Some crimes make you ineligible.

Contact MollyB I’m sure she can help

#3 OneGun

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Waddatoe,

You did not say what charge / conviction caused you to spend 21 days in jail.  It could be that the charge requires you to wait for a certain period.  It could also be that the charge could be a permanent disqualifier.  You can get a records from the court clerk on the disposition of your case.  Those records should be available now.  you might want to contact an Illinois attorney familiar with the FCCA.

Good Luck.

Annoy a Liberal, Get a Job!

#4 waddatoe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. The charge was violation of probation.

To elaborate, I got a dui in TN in 2003. I got several traffic citations along with the citation for dui. I paid the citations off, but was apparently required to physically check in weekly in a probation office in TN. I did not do this as I lived a few hundred miles away. I did not realize there was a warrant for my arrest because of this until I applied for the CCL here in IL in 2016. When I was made aware of it, I travelled to TN and appeared in court to address the issue. It resulted in the 21 day stay in county jail, and a "probation fee" which I paid at the court offices in TN before returning home. I'm not a criminal and I'm somewhat confused by the court process, but the attorney I hired in TN to represent me for this issue assured me that the 21 day jail stay and the payment of the "probation fee" set me right with the law. 

#5 OneGun

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Waddatoe,

This is from the ISPFSB website FAQ on qualifications for a CCL.  This is what hung you up.

• Have not been convicted or found guilty in Illinois or any other state of:
    • A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the last 5 years
    • 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the last 5 years
  • Not be the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification
  • Not have been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the last 5 years

Annoy a Liberal, Get a Job!

#6 waddatoe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Thanks OneGun,

In 2016, when I appealed the denial of CCL, the DUI conviction was thirteen years old. I understand that the pending warrant caused an issue, so I went to TN and straightened that issue out two years ago. I don't understand what has caused the appeal to go on unanswered for this length of time, now that the cause of the problem has been addressed. 

#7 WitchDoctor

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

Thanks OneGun,

In 2016, when I appealed the denial of CCL, the DUI conviction was thirteen years old. I understand that the pending warrant caused an issue, so I went to TN and straightened that issue out two years ago. I don't understand what has caused the appeal to go on unanswered for this length of time, now that the cause of the problem has been addressed. 

Don't forget that this is still Illinois you are dealing with.....

IC Sponsor

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

Airborne

3/504 P.I.R

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#8 mkhalil61

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Thanks OneGun,

Don't forget that this is still Illinois you are dealing with.....

Agreed this is Illinois. They will take your rights faster than you can imagine but take their sweet a** time in either issuing or reinstating your rights. 

#9 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,113 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

Thanks OneGun,

Did you ever submit verification to the ISP that the pending warrant for you arrest has been solved?  If not, you need to request a copy of the court disposition from the court clerk or circuit court where you cleared up the warrant.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#10 waddatoe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for the reply, Molly B. 

I'll contact them and ask again now that you've told me what to ask for. I'll update this thread as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users