Update 9/16 talks with state police

Tvandermyde

Just a suggestion: Why not have them migrate a copy of the antiquated system onto a new one with updated capability and test functionality parallel to the old one until the new one can have acceptance testing done on it?? Being that, it's a legacy system, I'm sure they know all its functional capabilities.......which can be passed along to the new engineers.

because the flux capacitor is on the fritz

Will someone please track down "the fritz" and get the flux capacitor back to where it belongs!

I can't believe there's been ZERO instructor approvals since Wednesday when Larry was approved 4 times.

Ok, Sen LaHood called me within 45 minutes of my email!

Although he shares our frustration, he reiterated that the state has no money to implement this and therefore the manpower and technology to move at an acceptable pace is simply not there. He also said that they are intentionally moving at a slow, deliberate pace, apparently to ensure that the background checks are accurate...? Why did we pay $55-60 for Livescan if the ISP is going to take all this time to do background checks anyway...?

They have no money and yet they commited $26 Million dollars to an out of state vendor when an in state vender could have made a custom solution for less if given the opportunity to bid. I did not know that ILLINOIS regarded that $26 Million as no money.

Although he shares our frustration, he reiterated that the state has no money to implement this and therefore the manpower and technology to move at an acceptable pace is simply not there. He also said that they are intentionally moving at a slow, deliberate pace, apparently to ensure that the background checks are accurate...? Why did we pay $55-60 for Livescan if the ISP is going to take all this time to do background checks anyway...?

They have no money and yet they commited $26 Million dollars to an out of state vendor when an in state vender could have made a custom solution for less if given the opportunity to bid. I did not know that ILLINOIS regarded that $26 Million as no money.

They had to go out of state to find someone willing to take a check and not expect it to bounce

This is NOT a matter of not having money. It is estimated that there are 200,000 to 300,000 people waiting to submit their applications.

At $150 per application this is $30,000,000 to $45,000,000 that State of Illinois is NOT bringing in by their foot dragging.

This is Quinn putting ideology before the inevitable and throwing away tens of millions of dollars in revenue.

How sad is that?

I can't believe there's been ZERO instructor approvals since Wednesday when Larry was approved 4 times.

Maybe Larry is really good.

I'm attempting humor but only to hide the frustration that we're all feeling. This whole thing is a lot more screwed up than I was initially willing to admit to myself. I was ready to accept that some minor computer glitches were the problem, but after reading Todd's post I see that this is not the case. I once told a younger colleague that he should never do exceptionally well on a assignment he didn't like, for otherwise he would be stuck doing it forever. He claims it was the best advice he ever received. Looks like ISP is following this advice.

We need to flush this carry law and start over doing this the right way. We are the last state to implement carry and it seems we are trying to reinvent the wheel. :headbang1:

Great idea, just what jello was hoping for. Lee goodieshoes has been watching for. New "may not" law. Or we can hang in there and follow the leadership that got us this far.

Is it any surprise that the organization that has been actively against the concept of concealed carry in Illinois is dragging their feet and screwing it up?

Who the heck thought it would be a good idea to involve the ISP in this process in the first place?

The term "dragging their feet" implies an intentional delay in implementing the law. We do not believe there is an intentional delay. Involving the ISP as the licensing agency was a combination of the IDPR refusing and the IDNR (dept. of natural resources) refusing and threatening to lobby against the law if involved.

How much of a background check is needed? Are they contacting their grade school teachers to investigate every person? Isn't there a national instant background check already in place? How do states with less money and resources, like Kentucky, manage to have a system that runs like a clock?

Please go back and read this entire update to find the answer to these questions.

We are the last state to implement carry and it seems we are trying to reinvent the wheel. :headbang1:

We have to since the wheels in the other 49 states dont spin round and round like they do here.

Actually I think its because the wheels in other states roll and move forward. IL has to invent a wheel that doesn't roll so they can keep us disarmed

We are the last state to implement carry and it seems we are trying to reinvent the wheel. :headbang1:

We have to since the wheels in the other 49 states dont spin round and round like they do here.

Actually I think its because the wheels in other states roll and move forward. IL has to invent a wheel that doesn't roll so they can keep us disarmed

Our wheel spins in place and never goes anywhere...

As much as I respect Molly B and appreciate ALL of her work on our behalf, I must agree with Jake8267: "If their people can't get it done quickly they need to bring in people who can."

I also think we should communicate with legislators at every opportunity. If the governor, the speaker or the president of the Senate gave a hoot, this would get solved exponentially faster, IMO. But we are not their kind of people. Best we can hope for, IMO, is to get the rank-and-file G.A. membership to give the leaders such a PITA that they get interested and start poking about. Governor Quinn or Director Grau? They're not going to acknowledge a problem, let alone take responsibility for it, IMO.

While the Legislature has no direct hand on this switch, it not without influence. The governor's favorite causes can be held in committee, his appointments rejected, etc. Few people north of I-64 probably noticed, but when the governor let three members of the SIU board run out their terms and appointed three new members without talking to anyone, his appointees got rejected in the Senate without a single vote in their favor. A few Metro East legislators, with Cullerton's assent or at least non-opposition, just burned the gov's effort to the ground. He got his butt to the negotiating table about then, I wanna tell ya.

His attention can be gained. He just needs smacked up the head by a legislative 2x4. (A metahpor...I am not advocating anyone striking the governor.)

I was going to suggest reaching out to the media to see if they would be interested in getting a story or two out there. Oh, never mind.

Eh, there may be a downstate newspaper running a column on its op ed page soon. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

I forgot "state run" in the original to refer to the Chicago hacks up here. Went back and fixed that.

Any kind of positive press attention, no matter where it comes from, which focuses on the plight of these instructors and the ineptness of the ISP is worthwhile.

Archived