Kenneth Charles Canterbury, Jr., to be Director of the BATFE.

Molly B.

3aa25a03-561e-406b-8251-30c76469653a.png

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 24, 2019

President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Individual to a Key Administration Post

Today, President Donald J. Trump announced his intent to nominate the following individual to a key position in his Administration:

Kenneth Charles Canterbury, Jr., of South Carolina, to be the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Mr. Canterbury currently serves as President of the National Fraternal Order of Police, a position he has held since 2003. He earned the rank of Major in the Horry County Police Department in Conway, South Carolina, after 26 years in the Patrol Division, Criminal Division, and Training Division. He has served on the Executive Board of the National Fraternal Order of Police for more than two decades. His distinguished career earned him an induction into the South Carolina Law Enforcement Hall of Fame. Mr. Canterbury is a graduate of Coastal Carolina University.

What do we know about him?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/24/donald-trump-nominate-national-fop-president-cante/

President Trump on Friday announced his intention to nominate Kenneth “Chuck” Canterbury Jr., president of the National Fraternal Order of Police and an opponent of disclosing “trace” data on firearms, to head the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
He also has been an outspoken opponent of efforts by gun-control advocates such as Michael Bloomberg to gain access to confidential law-enforcement data on firearms traces, for use in lawsuits against the firearms industry and for research.

This!

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/24/donald-trump-nominate-national-fop-president-cante/

He also has been an outspoken opponent of efforts by gun-control advocates such as Michael Bloomberg to gain access to confidential law-enforcement data on firearms traces, for use in lawsuits against the firearms industry and for research. The ATF compiles the records when tracing firearms in response to requests from other law-enforcement agencies.

In the U.S., after President Clinton, Attorney General Reno, and others announced support for registration and licensing, police response was immediate and non-supportive. Dewey Stokes, President of the Fraternal Order of Police said "... I don't want to get into a situation where we have gun registration." Other law enforcement officers responded even more strongly. Charles Canterbury, President of the South Carolina FOP said, "On behalf of the South Carolina law enforcement, I can say we are adamantly opposed to registration of guns."...

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110616/political-report-one-on-one-with-chuck

Cox: "You`ve also spent a lot of time reminding members of Congress that FOP members are gun owners who support the Second Amendment. In testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, you said `I take a back seat to no one in my reverence for the Second Amendment.`"

Canterbury: "That`s correct. I meant it then and I mean it now. Our members and your members share many of the same beliefs about guns and crime. Many department chiefs are political, and they go with the anti-gun line, especially in the big cities. But our members in the rank and file know the reality on the streets."

But then there's this, calling for expansion of background checks.

I don’t consider that a buzz kill, the devil is in the details. There are no details in that letter just a general outline of what will help. All the principles can be incorporated without infringing on the right to keep and bear arms.

^ this ***

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110616/political-report-one-on-one-with-chuck

Cox: "You`ve also spent a lot of time reminding members of Congress that FOP members are gun owners who support the Second Amendment. In testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, you said `I take a back seat to no one in my reverence for the Second Amendment.`"

Canterbury: "That`s correct. I meant it then and I mean it now. Our members and your members share many of the same beliefs about guns and crime. Many department chiefs are political, and they go with the anti-gun line, especially in the big cities. But our members in the rank and file know the reality on the streets."

But then there's this, calling for expansion of background checks.

Trust Mauserme to find the interesting tidbits - both good and bad.

Archived