My ccw expired 2 days ago...

Ludvik83

I had a couple family emergencies that kept me from being able to renew on time. I took my renewal class tonight only to find out that since I lapsed 2 days ago I can no longer renew...

My instructor who happens to be chief of police told me to go ahead and try to renew but that he thinks Ill be denied.

I attempted to do it on the ISP website but its only giving me the option of applying for ccw, not renewal. Do I put my original paperwork in from my ccw class in 2014 or do I have to literally retake the class?

Before you say it, I know this is all on me... be gentle please

I have to admit I actually wonder myself despite 'assuming' (and being told in my renewal class) that you will have to re-take the full 16 hour class as if it was your first license, since there's no expiration on the certs, could you just re-use your original 16 hour cert!?

Will surely be interesting to see how this plays out!

I won't harp on you (s**t happens)! - but surely the first case of an expiration missed that I have heard of, definitely want to know how this turns out for you in the end!

There have been a few threads on this topic. You'll need a new 16-hour certificate.

My question is, does anyone really know for fact? Or was that the majority opinion?

I don't recall seeing anything about the matter in 430 ILCS 66

Common sense says you need a new certificate, or nobody would take the renewal class.

However, it shouldn’t have to be the whole 16 hours. (I only did 8 because of military experience), but people in my class did the NRA pistol class for the first 8 hours. That never expires and fulfills 8 hours for IL.

There have been a few threads on this topic. You'll need a new 16-hour certificate.

My question is, does anyone really know for fact? Or was that the majority opinion?

I don't recall seeing anything about the matter in 430 ILCS 66

I'm pretty sure there was a definitive answer in one of the previous threads.

When I attempted to renew tonight, and I got to the part of the form that asks you provide a picture of your certificate, my original certificate was already there. I’m half tempted to give it a try but I think I’m going to talk to the police chief tomorrow and see what he says. He told me to call him if I had any trouble. ‍♂️

I’m feeling pretty stupid about missing my deadline by 2 days... especially since I’ve had the class scheduled for 2 weeks. I had not heard anything about needing to retake the class if it lapsed...

I would certainly talk to the chief as you intend. Will it allow you to keep that document (your org cert) AND add another, or does it look like it's wanting you to delete that one to add another one, or...?

I think what I would do, personally, would be leave that ORG cert in there, and ADD the renewal one. They'll see that you had a valid CCL, and that you took the renewal, and know you did indeed miss the expiry, BUT that you took and passed the renewal, including the live fire qualification "in short order".

I think that's the "most important" thing they're probably wanting (at least the 'legislative intent') - is to see that you're still capable of passing the live fire part (and of course fork over your hard earned money)!

That or ofc (of course) I'd actually call them on the phone to find out what they say...

IIRC, Molly wrote that you might get 1 or 2 days grace period.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71702&do=findComment&comment=1206326

But read the ISP renewal letter near end of page 1. If you let card expire you need a new 16 hr certificate.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71702&do=findComment&comment=1206236

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_2018/post-11442-0-28949400-1543541198.jpg

Worst case scenario, ultimately, is that you will now have to do another 16 hour class >.<

Next question I have is, if you submit as things stand right now and are denied - are they going to make you pay AGAIN to re-apply (again) after obtaining the 16 hours again!? Or will they allow you to "fix" the document (IE: take the class and get the 16 hour then submit that cert upon this payment)

IIRC, Molly wrote that you might get 1 or 2 days grace period.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71702&do=findComment&comment=1206326

But read the ISP renewal letter near end of page 1. If you let card expire you need a new 16 hr certificate.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71702&do=findComment&comment=1206236

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_2018/post-11442-0-28949400-1543541198.jpg

Thanks! That certainly clears it up for me, I never got a letter like that! I just vigilantly watched my expiration date get closer and closer (and applied for renewal ONE day prior to expiry)!

Best of luck - your situation is what they call a teaching opportunity I reckon for all those folks who want to wait to the very last instant before taking the renewal class and filing for the renewal itself.

Life can happen in the interim and mess with your plans. Start early enough and you'll have plenty of no-stress time to reschedule things. FWIW, you can begin the renewal process up to 90 days before you expire if my aging memory serves?

According to my high-falutin' rocket surgeon cypherin' - my CCW is $150 to the State and is good for 5 years so it 'costs' me a whopping $2.50 a month. If I 'lost' a couple months by renewing early? I'm OK with that.

But in reality, my new expiration date is 5 years from when my renewal went Active ( well after the original expired ) so I actually didn't lose a dime.

I went ahead and submitted my renewal certificate along with updated instructor info to match the paperwork. When I got to the checkout screen it said ccw application/renewal on the payment form.

I’ll see what happens I guess.

See if you can get the police chief to run your ticket — see if it comes back still valid or if it comes back invalid (expired).

I took a lot of c... back in October 2018 when the renewal button showed up and I applied for renewal even though I didnt expire until February 28, 2019. I had my CCL in hand in December 2018, the loss of a very few dollars was well worth the piece of mind to me, but each to his own.

I heartily second your sentiment. Mine took only 16 days to get the new card back in November. I renewed 120 days before expiration.

Foolish to wait to the last moment at the risk of missing the expiration date.

According to my high-falutin' rocket surgeon cypherin' - my CCW is $150 to the State and is good for 5 years so it 'costs' me a whopping $2.50 a month. If I 'lost' a couple months by renewing early? I'm OK with that.

But in reality, my new expiration date is 5 years from when my renewal went Active ( well after the original expired ) so I actually didn't lose a dime.

Agreed. I renewed as soon as I could. To me the piece of mind was worth it.

Whatever few dollars the state made, if you call it that, is less than I spend on a decent bottle of bourbon.

I'm of the mind that when the renewal button pops open, you renew.

If they have it set now, as they or others have been here snooping around, once you’re past your date the button disappears.

And try not to confuse the States DL processes, as some did before.

This is not a drivers license, its something THEY take serious and THEY will bang you hard if you step out of line!

Good Luck as others have said, but I'd get into a class and get back in the right.

If you have no button to press, it's start over time!

I would recommend taking the renewal class 90/120 days in advance, but I still would not recommend renewing until maybe ~7 days before expiry (I waited until ONE day before expiry)! Coming from a state that has NO qualms screwing us, it's about time (no matter how small) we get a chance to stick it back to them! That's just my $0.02!

"(I waited until ONE day before expiry)!"

With all due respect, you sir should go buy a lottery ticket. I could fill a righteous mighty long post with all the highly common life scenarios that could have meant your going through another full CCW class.

I HIGHLY recommend to all not chancing it and risk suffering the self-inflicted wound of CCW expiration. Renewing early doesn't cost you a dime - I think the old saying is - Don't cut off yer nose to spite yer face?

I would recommend taking the renewal class 90/120 days in advance, but I still would not recommend renewing until maybe ~7 days before expiry (I waited until ONE day before expiry)! Coming from a state that has NO qualms screwing us, it's about time (no matter how small) we get a chance to stick it back to them! That's just my $0.02!

This was my original plan but decided a month out was more prudent. We've seen the web site recently go down for 3 days...They cant get an app to run correctly on mobile devices in 2019...and I see the USPS has changed some rules for addresses and places are altering my address to those new rules which makes me a bit leary when it comes to the SOS, FOID and CCL data in case they decide to make changes that will mess up the renewal.

Archived