Rockford - Winnebago Right to Carry Town Hall Meeting

Molly B.

Although I am for the most part home bound, I am hoping to attend.

One of my friends is also planning to attend with his girlfriend. He has an interest in RTC and she has a PA carry permit. I gave him a flier and he has told me he is posting them around the area west of Rockford and anywhere else he travels.

Today at the ABATE meeting I invited people to attend the Winnebago RTC Town Hall Meeting and it looks like there will be about two car loads of people attending from the Freeport area.

Just to interject a little history, back in the mid eighties when ABATE was started in Illinois - discussion of firearm issues was discouraged for fear of propagating the image of "bikers with guns". Now, with everyone from accountants to hairdressers getting tattooed and riding Harleys, that is of no longer a concern.

I'd like to also mention that this year - we will be sharing our legislative day (IGOLD) with ABATE. So please, play nice! Almost ALL bikers share our viewpoint of what the Second Amendment stands for - so on March 7th our legislators will be getting it with BOTH BARRELS so to speak!

I just noticed this thread for the first time; all the readers from East of Rockford, Boone county area read a publication called the Boone County Shopper. Boonecountyshopper.com. I think you could add it to their web site. Also there is a large gated community north of Belvidere, but I'm unsure of how to contact anyone there. If I can talk someone into giving me a ride over there I will try to attend, thanks, Dale

Today at the ABATE meeting I invited people to attend the Winnebago RTC Town Hall Meeting and it looks like there will be about two car loads of people attending from the Freeport area.

Just to interject a little history, back in the mid eighties when ABATE was started in Illinois - discussion of firearm issues was discouraged for fear of propagating the image of "bikers with guns". Now, with everyone from accountants to hairdressers getting tattooed and riding Harleys, that is of no longer a concern.

I'd like to also mention that this year - we will be sharing our legislative day (IGOLD) with ABATE. So please, play nice! Almost ALL bikers share our viewpoint of what the Second Amendment stands for - so on March 7th our legislators will be getting it with BOTH BARRELS so to speak!

Is Vandermyde still your guys lobbyist too or is that something he doesn't do anymore?

I think I've seen ABATE people there on IGOLD day, other years.

The gated community you refer to is Candlewick. It's probably better that it is a gated community it keeps all the nut jobs that live there in one place. My wife owned a bar across the street form there and she can tell you all kinds of stuff about the folks living behind those gates. It is a a very repressive environment. with all kinds of crazy association rules. They even have their own security force. I'm not saying all the folks who live there are nuts because I know at least one person who lives there that is decent. Like many homeowner associations those in charge often think they own the world.

I just noticed this thread for the first time; all the readers from East of Rockford, Boone county area read a publication called the Boone County Shopper. Boonecountyshopper.com. I think you could add it to their web site. Also there is a large gated community north of Belvidere, but I'm unsure of how to contact anyone there. If I can talk someone into giving me a ride over there I will try to attend, thanks, Dale

They just had a GREAT segment on the WIFR 23 News!! They were discussing the coming Town Hall Meeting and IllinoisCarry! And yes, they mentioned that Illinois is THE LAST STATE WITHOUT A CARRY LAW!! They interviewed a gun shop owner (wasn't Kenny) and all in all it was very positive reporting!

SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW AT GIOVANNI'S!!

The gated community you refer to is Candlewick. It's probably better that it is a gated community it keeps all the nut jobs that live there in one place. My wife owned a bar across the street form there and she can tell you all kinds of stuff about the folks living behind those gates. It is a a very repressive environment. with all kinds of crazy association rules. They even have their own security force. I'm not saying all the folks who live there are nuts because I know at least one person who lives there that is decent. Like many homeowner associations those in charge often think they own the world.

tdiller,

I'm familiar with Candlewick; I didn't want to imply my opinion of the development. Just that lots of people live there. In my opinion maybe the gates should only swing one way, you pick the direction. On another note, you talking about the Cubby Rain or Hydeout? I've got friends that stopped there.

This townhall meeting is our first step in a year that will hopefully make history in Illinois. House Bill 148 is gaining more support by the day. I am very optimistic about this bill passing. See everyone there.

Yeah! I'm hyped! I never expected to hear it announced on channel 23 IN ADVANCE!! We may just pack the house!! That would be great!!

This townhall meeting is our first step in a year that will hopefully make history in Illinois. House Bill 148 is gaining more support by the day. I am very optimistic about this bill passing. See everyone there.

Yeah! I'm hyped! I never expected to hear it announced on channel 23 IN ADVANCE!! We may just pack the house!! That would be great!!

I have been telling everyone and I have it as an event on my Facebook page. It will definitely be packed I know a lot of women that are interested in rtc. So I hope they will show up along with everyone else I invited.

The bar I was talking about was Good Vibrations. It was in the strip mall that Bravos is in. Landlord claimed that he had too many complaints from Candledick so would not renew our lease. We moved it then to Belvidere in the strip mall next to Hammertime renamed to Jayne's Place. Again the landlord let the building go into foreclosure so we got out of the bar business.

tdiller,

I'm familiar with Candlewick; I didn't want to imply my opinion of the development. Just that lots of people live there. In my opinion maybe the gates should only swing one way, you pick the direction. On another note, you talking about the Cubby Rain or Hydeout? I've got friends that stopped there.

And pack the house we did! Estimated 250-275 in attendance. 3 tv news crews.

very intense crowd, no disruptive anti-gunners. U.S.congressman Adam Kinsinger was great, as was Sen. Dave Syverson who drove all the way from Springfield up to Rockford just for the meeting and had to leave right after to return to Springfield. Congressman Bobby Schilling had someone there to deliver a statement in support of RTC., Sen. Christine Johnson and Rep. Sosnowski both sent supporting statements, as did

Winnebago Co. Sheriff Myer.

Rep. Chuck Jefferson did not attend and did not send a statement. He was one of the only two "no" votes outside the Cook Co. area on RTC last May.

It will be interesting to see how the media present the meeting.

Thank you to States Att. Joe Bruscato, Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey, and Mike Weisman of the ISRA also speaking.

Thanks to Kenny at kap guns for co-sponsoring the meeting.

A very, very special thank you to our fantastic members who worked so hard posting fliers and helping to get the word out!

Great turn out.

You, sir, can take a great deal of credit for that! Thank you! It was great meeting you. I had hoped we could all get together after wards but by the time we got everything packed up, most everyone was gone. It was a pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife!

Thank you the power of Facebook goes a long way. I was looking for you also but I went to buy a raffle ticket. One minute you were there and next you disappeared. We will meet again. When the bill passes we should have a Concealed Carry Party. Lol!!

Archived