Ezell v Chicago (Range Ban) Orals held today.

05FLHT

Feldman didn't do well arguing McDonald, why do you suppose Chicago employed Fledman's services to argue this one?

They knew, at least in McDonald, that they were going to lose so Feldman was hired to take the whipping for them. I suppose that means they feel he is good at taking a whipping for them. :thumbsup:

Feldman didn't do well arguing McDonald, why do you suppose Chicago employed Fledman's services to argue this one?

They knew, at least in McDonald, that they were going to lose so Feldman was hired to take the whipping for them. I suppose that means they feel he is good at taking a whipping for them. thumbsup.png

In that case I hope to see more of him!

My only fear is that posner or eaterbrook grab a good decision and take it enbanc to try and muck it up

My main fear is that they decide that the harm alleged is compensable with money damages (for travel) and therefore not irreparable, and therefore, not entitled to TRO.

Dont see it the judges stomped on the travel arguement and properly reframed the debate and issue

My only fear is that posner or eaterbrook grab a good decision and take it enbanc to try and muck it up

My main fear is that they decide that the harm alleged is compensable with money damages (for travel) and therefore not irreparable, and therefore, not entitled to TRO.

Dont see it the judges stomped on the travel arguement and properly reframed the debate and issue

I am just saying that the irreparable harm aspect seemed like one easy way for the justices to avoid deciding the issue. Feldman's attempts on that issue were feeble at best, though. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Even if the appeal fails, there is no way the city can succeed on the merits.

First time I actually listened to Gura in action, and he is impressive.

Its funny because he finished this case and filed another the following day. does this guy ever get any rest.

He doesn't need any, apparently. I like this case a lot. I cannot believe Chicago will appeal their loss. I think they'll do weird stuff with their zoning laws, and abandon their ban on public ranges. Even on this narrow issue, I think it will take 10 years of litigation before normal public gun ranges operate in Chicago.

I would very much like to shoot at the mobile gun range in Chicago, once we get permission for that in Chicago. All the best to the people working on this.

Its funny because he finished this case and filed another the following day. does this guy ever get any rest.

He doesn't need any, apparently. I like this case a lot. I cannot believe Chicago will appeal their loss. I think they'll do weird stuff with their zoning laws, and abandon their ban on public ranges. Even on this narrow issue, I think it will take 10 years of litigation before normal public gun ranges operate in Chicago.

I would very much like to shoot at the mobile gun range in Chicago, once we get permission for that in Chicago. All the best to the people working on this.

I live in Lakeview. If I don't time the traffic patterns just right, it can easily take me 90 minutes to get to the nearest range. And I am lucky enough to have a car. A large portion of Chicago residents don't.

I live in Lakeview. If I don't time the traffic patterns just right, it can easily take me 90 minutes to get to the nearest range. And I am lucky enough to have a car. A large portion of Chicago residents don't.

I live in lakeview too, and we both have cars...

Imagine how long it would take you to take public transportation to the nearest range?

wait a minute? can you transport firearms aboard cta/rta?

Even though "transportation" was not an issue the court felt required defining, but one must conclude transportation METHODS could make for a compelling argument.....

Even though "transportation" was not an issue the court felt required defining, but one must conclude transportation METHODS could make for a compelling argument.....

since chicagoans cant own a gun until they complete the training transporting a firearm on public transportation is moot regarding the training requirement

since i dont live in chicago im not familiar with all the complexities of their licensing, is re-qualification necessary to renew the CFP?

• 2 months later...

My link

Mayor Rahm Emanuel will introduce an ordinance next week to allow gun ranges to operate in Chicago.

To obtain a gun permit in Chicago, residents must now travel to a suburban gun range to complete a mandated firearms training course.

The city is currently facing a federal lawsuit saying the city’s ban of gun ranges in the city has created a burden for those seeking a Chicago gun permit.

The new ordinance should address the concerns raised in the lawsuit, officials say.

The proposed ordinance limits gun ranges to areas zoned for manufacturing. Outdoor ranges would be banned.

Anyone opening a gun range would have to obtain a gun permit from the city and obtain approval from the Chicago Police Department for a safety plan.

So when one of Rezko's friends buys an abandoned factory near one of our gun ranges to convert into $900,000 $450,000 studio condos, we ain't moving the range!

Imagine how long it would take you to take public transportation to the nearest range?

I think you may well be screwed on the trains as they certainly fall under the current IL law on places guns are banned without written permission.

I did some digging and found that the CTA has an ordinance on this specifically banning firearms but exempting security while traveling to and from work. It appears the ordinance only covers the trains and not buses, but I did not look real close.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ordinances/Ordinance_006-75.pdf

See section 2.15

Archived