IL residents carrying concealed in Wisconsin

vito

With WI now permitting concealed carry, and with their law accepting any other state's concealed carry license, it now appears legal for those of us in IL who have a license from PA or other states to carry concealed while in WI. Its more than an academic interest to those like me who live 15 minutes from the WI southern border, and I often go to Milwaukee or Madison. My local gun club is telling members it is legal, but I am wondering if anyone has secured bona fide legal opinion on this issue, or better yet, successfully handled a challenge by a WI LEO. Maybe, just maybe, we will soon see IL law recognize our right to bear arms.

It's not a matter of opinion. You can carry in WI if you have a license they honor. They can be found at http://www.handgunla...s/wisconsin.pdf

Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut, Georgia Hawaii Idaho Iowa Kansas

Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Michigan Minnesota

Montana Nebraska New Mexico New York North Carolina

North Dakota Pennsylvania Tennessee Texas Utah

Washington Wyoming Puerto Rico U.S. Virgin Islands

WI reciprocity portion of the law is not fully implemented, so more are sure to fill-in.

WI also does not specify the manner of carry, so open or concealed is a choice. Private businesses can regulate the manner of carry as opposed to an outright prohibition. There is on coffee shop that prohibits concealed weapons but has signage approving the open carry of handguns, rifles, shotguns and other weapons you can legally possess.

The WI state Capitol has allowed carry but has recently imposed a restriction on open carry. ACT 35 does permit the regulation of the manner of carry but such administrative declarations are suspect as a unit of government can only impose such dictates by official acts such as resolutions, ordinance or legislation. If this manner of carry restriction is not clearly defined a patchwork of open carry required, concealed carry required zones may make compliance much more difficult. You know cities will take advantage of this to discourage carry altogether.

Milwaukee Metro has already banned all carry in their buildings, shelters and busses. Carry on the bus is legal ! The shelters are not even on Metro property but the open 3 sided plastic/glass rectangles have been included in the definition of a building. You can ride the bus but you can not seek shelter from the weather.

Also what will happen if you get on the bus on the street and it arrives in the terminal? I think it would have to provide an accommodation stop to allow you on and off before entry/exit into the terminal.

It is interesting that states seem to ignore the learning experience of other states and always, with little exception, start from scratch. Fat finger edit.

Just a little bit more information from Florida. I was emailing them about reciprocity with WI and this is what I received:

Dear Mr. Sxxxxx:

Regrettably, we have been informed by the Wisconsin Attorney General's Office that Florida is not eligible for concealed weapon license reciprocity with the State of Wisconsin . The reason is that the background check Florida conducts as part of its eligibility evaluation is different from the background check conducted by the State of Wisconsin . Please allow me to share with you the information provided to us from the AG's Office.

Under Wisconsin 's new concealed weapon licensing law, authorities in that state are required to conduct a background check of license applicants for the purpose of determining whether an applicant is prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law. That background check is required by state law to include a search of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In addition, Wisconsin 's new law allows for the recognition of concealed weapon licenses issued by another state if the background check conducted by that state is comparable to the type of background check that Wisconsin conducts for its concealed license applicants.

Unfortunately, Florida 's fingerprint-based background check does not include a search of the NICS database. Therefore, we do not meet the standards set forth in Wisconsin law that would allow Wisconsin authorities to recognize the Florida concealed weapon license. Therefore, there can be no concealed weapon license reciprocity between Florida and Wisconsin .

I wish I had better news concerning our efforts to expand Florida 's reciprocity with other states. Unfortunately, I do not. I hope my comments here sufficiently explain the issues that prevent Florida-Wisconsin reciprocity from becoming a reality.

If you have any other questions, please get back in touch with us at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Elaine V. Mann

Administrative Assistant II to

Ken Wilkinson, Assistant Director

850-245-5326

• 2 weeks later...

You guys with FL licenses that want to carry in WI just call out to the AZ ccw department and ask for one of their applications. It's only $60 and you can use your hunter safety cert as proof of training. It's good for 5 years and is honored by WI.

Or a copy of their FL license. :D

I don't believe they honor FL.

Don't know why they don't honor FL, they do honor Utah and Pa.

I just finished my Utah CCW class on Saturday. Our instructor told us he's been trying to get something definitive from WI regarding regarding a Utah CCW. As he told us, there is a difference between "recognizing" and a "formal written agreement" between states. He advised us not to become a test case in WI until a formal agreement is reached. Just his opinion but I think I'll take his advice, at least for now.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

I just finished my Utah CCW class on Saturday. Our instructor told us he's been trying to get something definitive from WI regarding regarding a Utah CCW. As he told us, there is a difference between "recognizing" and a "formal written agreement" between states. He advised us not to become a test case in WI until a formal agreement is reached. Just his opinion but I think I'll take his advice, at least for now.

http://publicsafety....i/FAQother.html

Wisconsin specifically mentions allowing Utah (along with the other states they allow) on their DOJ page. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

If you're concerned, you could always call Wisconsin AG and confirm: 608-266-1221

http://publicsafety....i/FAQother.html

Wisconsin specifically mentions allowing Utah (along with the other states they allow) on their DOJ page. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

If you're concerned, you could always call Wisconsin AG and confirm: 608-266-1221

Thanks for the link xwing, I am definately printing this out and carrying it when I travel to WI.

You guys with FL licenses that want to carry in WI just call out to the AZ ccw department and ask for one of their applications. It's only $60 and you can use your hunter safety cert as proof of training. It's good for 5 years and is honored by WI.

Or a copy of their FL license. :D

I don't believe they honor FL.

Sorry. I meant that one could use a copy of their FL license to satisfy the training requirement to obtain an AZ license.

• 5 months later...

My head is about to explode!!! I will be staying in Wisconsin for a few days in the near future. Trying to get up to speed on their carry laws. Soooo much to know for different states to avoid misdemeanor and/or felony charges :headbang1:

Thought I had read something about it being illegal to "load" a firearm whilein a vehicle. Guess once I cross the border I'll have to exit the vehicle, lock and load, and then re-enter the vehicle to make sure I'm legal????? huh??

I have Utah and Penn. licenses. Seems like I'm good to go except the usuall places (schools, police stations, court, etc) bars/restaurants are OK as long as I don't drink while there.

A bunch of us guys will be staying at a condo resort on a lake. From what I can see, OK to carry at the resort and in the buildings as long as no sign is posted?? Agree??

Want to make sure I'm legal here (I know, I'm not entirely relying on website legal advise) but a bunch of us guys will be kicking back and enjoying adult beverages. I didn't see anything regarding greater than .08 while in possesion of a firearm (whether loaded/unloaded, encased, locked, or not) in a rented condo??? Any insight????

I WANT to be legal !!!!

Funny story: Rode my motorcycle to KY over the Memorial Day weekend to visit my mom. Got pulled over doing 75 mph in a 60 by a rookie KY State Trooper. Once he approached I informed him I was armed and legally licensed to carry. He asked what I had on me. I informed him a firearm in my boot, one on my hip, and another in my saddle bag. He wisely instructed me to keep my hands on the handle bars.

I then explained why ... four wheeler (pick-up) on my right was swerving into my lane and I had to quickly accelerate to avoid being hit and pass. He asked for my drivers license and proof of insurance. I gave them to him along with my Utah carry permit.

It was dark and he just walked back to his squad behind me. At that time my mom called my cell. I DIDN"T want to reach for my cell. So I stood up and raised my hands. I tried to look into the squad to get the troopers attention. As I said, it was dark. I couldn't see him. So I stood there hands above my head and waited a second or two. I then walked back to the squad, hands raised trying to get the trooper attention. NO LUCK. I look into the drivers side window and the trooper NEVER NOTICED ME as he was preoccupied looking for something in the back seat!!!!! I gently knocked on his window and SCARED THE B-JESUS out of him !!!

Long story not so short ... he let me go with No ticket. Guess HE felt lucky that night!!

I live in Illinois. I waited till last November to do anything to see what Wisconsin's laws were going to be. Once I seen Wisconsin had reciprocity with Utah I took both Utah and Florida classes at GAT in Dundee. I have both those CCW's now. I can carry in 38 states. Our Instructor told us about this web page.

http://handgunlaw.us/

It is the most informative CCW web page out there. You can also back up there facts with going to each States DOJ page. Lots to know especially if you travel a lot.

My head is about to explode!!! I will be staying in Wisconsin for a few days in the near future. Trying to get up to speed on their carry laws. Soooo much to know for different states to avoid misdemeanor and/or felony charges :headbang1:

Thought I had read something about it being illegal to "load" a firearm whilein a vehicle. Guess once I cross the border I'll have to exit the vehicle, lock and load, and then re-enter the vehicle to make sure I'm legal????? huh??

I have Utah and Penn. licenses. Seems like I'm good to go except the usuall places (schools, police stations, court, etc) bars/restaurants are OK as long as I don't drink while there.

A bunch of us guys will be staying at a condo resort on a lake. From what I can see, OK to carry at the resort and in the buildings as long as no sign is posted?? Agree??

Want to make sure I'm legal here (I know, I'm not entirely relying on website legal advise) but a bunch of us guys will be kicking back and enjoying adult beverages. I didn't see anything regarding greater than .08 while in possesion of a firearm (whether loaded/unloaded, encased, locked, or not) in a rented condo??? Any insight????

I WANT to be legal !!!!

Regarding Part 1: As long as there are no legal "no guns" signs, and you are not in a “prohibited location”, you should be fine. Wisconsin has few “prohibited locations”. In my database (for the upcoming app), I see 16 hotel / lodge locations is WI with "no gun signs".

See https://docs.legis.w...statutes/175/60 for prohibited locations.

See https://docs.legis.w...tatutes/943.pdf for rules on what a legal sign is.

Also, Wisconsin Gun Owners has a very good list of the places with “no guns” signs in Wisconsin: http://wisconsinguno.../dont-buy-list/

Regarding point 2: I have seen nothing directly prohibiting this in Wisconsin law. I would strongly suggest you not carry and that your firearms are encased and put away while drinking.

Also, in case you are interested. I have built iPhone and Android apps to cover the laws & rules in each state, filled with excerpts of the actual state laws. I have an iPhone app (co-authored) coming out this week (and Android version in about a month) to cover posted “no gun” locations in each state.

For what it's worth: IANAL!

+1 on the phone app.

I was in Green Bay last week visiting a customer. At the front door was the sign, "No guns allowed." Now this is a great customer that I really don't want to piss off but I had to bring it up in our meeting. Turns out, it is just corporate policy. I made the mention of how signs like that are not going to stop someone hellbent on doing something illegal. Instead only make for more possibilities of innocent victims. Common sense isn't so common.

I carry up here EVERY DAY. In church, in walmart, wherever it;s not posted.

People are different up here. No one bugs you. Everyone is friendly but they mind their own damn business!

I've had the breeze blow my shirt back occasionally, exposing my gun, and no one flips out.

Come up carry.........or better yet, MOVE! Just don't bring your liberal crap up here.

ckmorley

I carry up here EVERY DAY. In church, in walmart, wherever it;s not posted.

People are different up here. No one bugs you. Everyone is friendly but they mind their own damn business!

I've had the breeze blow my shirt back occasionally, exposing my gun, and no one flips out.

Come up carry.........or better yet, MOVE! Just don't bring your liberal crap up here.

ckmorley

is there any work up there for a welder?

Archived