Homeless people are unable to obtain FOID cards.

borgranta

should law abiding homeless be allowed firearms on a case by case basis?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should the homeless be allowed their 2nd amendment rights?

• Yes
    • No
    • let the courts decide

didn't vote because there was not a straight yes. No need for a case by case basis, if they are not criminals, they should be able to get one if they find the means end of story. I have a friend, ( not in this state) that was homeless by choice for 2 yrs in order pay down debt and become debt free. He lived in the back of a van in a different parking lot every night. He had a really good paying job that he wore a suit and tie to every day. He had a PO Box for mail and a $200 yearly membership to a gym where he worked out and showered before work each day. Nobody knew he was homeless, except for a few friends he told.

Homeless people are unable to obtain FOID cards due to not having an address and are an entire class of citizens that are having their rights violated. There should either be an exemption for homeless needing to have a FOID card or some means of providing them with one especially since many may be homeless due to foreclosure and/or job loss. The homeless people will be victimized by the mandatory minimums since they have no way of possessing a firearm for protection without becoming a felon. The UUW and FOID is the very definition of entrapment for the homeless trying to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. Suppose a lawful gun owner with a valid FOID card is forced out of his home. Should this newly homeless gun owner be arrested for possession while homeless?

I think it is mostly a moot point. Most homeless people are not legally going top be able to own firearms anyway. Those that can are probably going to be selling whatever possessions they have including firearms.

The few that might be able to legally own firearms and can also afford to keep one or more are going to have a tough time logistically even if they could get a FOID card.

The reality is that state ID cards can be issued to homeless based on some address of convenience. My guess is that if a homeless person wanted to get a FOID card he could if he used the address on his state ID card. If the ISP denied it based solely on his lack of a permanent address, my guess is a court would order it issued.

It is an issue for either the legislature or the courts to decide. My preference would be for the courts to make that decision. You keep bringing this up. Get an otherwise qualified homeless person to apply. It will only cost you $10. See what happens. Take it to court if it is denied.

A vast majority of homeless folks suffer physiological conditions OR they use drugs ( meth, crack, etc . ) which alters their perception of reality. Those 2 things would prevent them from meeting the conditions to obtaining a FOID. I would hate to be shot by a homeless person high on crack, meth, etc. because they think I'm the devil or some mythical creature trying to take their soul or something.

A vast majority of homeless folks suffer physiological conditions OR they use drugs ( meth, crack, etc . ) which alters their perception of reality. Those 2 things would prevent them from meeting the conditions to obtaining a FOID. I would hate to be shot by a homeless person high on crack, meth, etc. because they think I'm the devil or some mythical creature trying to take their soul or something.

Than screen them for drugs including testing their hair for signs of long term drug use. If no signs of drug use present and they are not a prohibited person than they should be able to own firearms since not allowing any homeless their rights is inconsistent with their rights as ruled by Heller and Mcdonald.

There's already been a thread about a subject like this, but for the FCCL. Please use the search function.

Furthermore, and speaking as a former homeless person (Aug 1995-Sept 1997), if you are homeless you aren't going to worry about spending money on anything firearm related. That money is headed elsewhere, like food, clothing, shelter (if possible), etc.

Threads like this one are simply ridiculous.

There's already been a thread about a subject like this, but for the FCCL. Please use the search function.

Furthermore, and speaking as a former homeless person (Aug 1995-Sept 1997), if you are homeless you aren't going to worry about spending money on anything firearm related. That money is headed elsewhere, like food, clothing, shelter (if possible), etc.

I disagree especially since a homeless person in a rural area would be able to kill an animal for food to survive. Maybe the homeless person should not be allowed a fishing pole without a FOID card that way they will find it equally as hard to fish as it is to hunt by depriving them of the tools to do so.

Than screen them for drugs including testing their hair for signs of long term drug use. If no signs of drug use present and they are not a prohibited person than they should be able to own firearms since not allowing any homeless their rights is inconsistent with their rights as ruled by Heller and Mcdonald.

I'm not opposed ( neutral ), just making an observation. However, who gets the bill for testing? What is the definition of long term in this case, what happens if they relapse after being sober?

I disagree especially since a homeless person in a rural area would be able to kill an animal for food to survive. Maybe the homeless person should not be allowed a fishing pole without a FOID card that way they will find it equally as hard to fish as it is to hunt by depriving them of the tools to do so.
What did I say? I said, "... if you are homeless you aren't going to worry about spending money on anything firearm related." I did not say anything about denying the homeless person(s) a right. The reality of the situation is this: If it isn't something that can be easily obtained from a handout, it is likely to be stolen. Theft is a guarantee to a warm bed, free food, clean clothes, and a roof over their head. Now, what good is a FOID Card when they are in jail?

Screen them for drugs?

Worried about hunting for food and taking away fishing poles? How did they get a hunting or fishing license? (Which without either, their equipment WOULD be taken)

Cmon. The responses are getting worse and worse here.

First of all, from an earlier post about a foid holder becoming homeless, why would they lose anything? Just because they no longer live at that address does not mean their foid gets pulled.

Of course a homeless person that otherwise is qualified to obtain a foid should be able to. What the hey!!! kind of question is that? They give drivers licenses to illegals for god sake.

They would have to have an address to mail it to. If they're that concerned with obtaining a foid, they'd find a way.

I agree with Domin8. This is dumb.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Simply being homeless should never prevent someone from exercising a constitutional right. Other issues (drug abuse, mental illness, etc.) should be reviewed on a case by case basis.

This is similar to the points brought up that the excessive FOID and CCW fees prevent the poor from exercising their rights. It's not a crime to be poor or to be homeless.

I think it is mostly a moot point. Most homeless people are not legally going top be able to own firearms anyway. Those that can are probably going to be selling whatever possessions they have including firearms.

I have my FOID and my CCL. What if I became homeless in June. Lost my income. Lost my house. Waiting 4 years to get Social Security. Can't afford to rent or stay anywhere. Sell all my stuff plus all but one of my guns.

Should I not be allowed to Keep or Bear because I no longer have an address?

Seems like being constantly closer to at risk situations heightens the need for personal armed security.

If a petition were started to repeal the FOID Act you would only need as many signatures as the equivalent to 2% of the total number of the people that voted in the last general election to get a repeal on the ballot for the next election. If you're so butthurt about the FOID Act possibly alienating a segment of the population, why don't you do something about it?

If they can pony up the $10 for a FOID then fine. I do not support GIVING them a FREE FOID because they are homeless.

How about free FOID for everyone?

How about do away with the bleeping thing altogether?

There you go...problem solved.

Yes...I realize that isn't going to happen in this hopeless nanny state.

didn't vote because there was not a straight yes. No need for a case by case basis, if they are not criminals, they should be able to get one if they find the means end of story. I have a friend, ( not in this state) that was homeless by choice for 2 yrs in order pay down debt and become debt free. He lived in the back of a van in a different parking lot every night. He had a really good paying job that he wore a suit and tie to every day. He had a PO Box for mail and a $200 yearly membership to a gym where he worked out and showered before work each day. Nobody knew he was homeless, except for a few friends he told.
very determined fellow. I applaud his determination to be debt free! Hopefully he reached his goal. Since he lived frugally. He should be able to save money now? even with a physical residence, since he has the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very determined fellow. I applaud his determination to be debt free! Hopefully he reached his goal. Since he lived frugally. He should be able to save money now? even with a physical residence, since he has the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't talked to him in yrs he was the prepper type long before it was cool, his plan was to build a small cabin off the grid and pay cash to build I'm sure he has accomplished his goals

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

I have my FOID and my CCL. What if I became homeless in June. Lost my income. Lost my house. Waiting 4 years to get Social Security. Can't afford to rent or stay anywhere. Sell all my stuff plus all but one of my guns.

Seems like being constantly closer to at risk situations heightens the need for personal armed security.

If you move you are required to report your new address to the state to get your state ID card changed. And your FOID card. And your FCCL. That is part of existing law. You can't get past that short of some court or legislative action. I think you can get the fee waived for the state ID on the basis of homelessness, but not the FOID or FCCL address change fees.

Don't have 2B homelees. "I am the Son of Satan,and i am here to kill you"

Check THIS out! This happened at the Hall brothers Monster truck farmhouse you can see from I-57 just north of Champaign.

http://www.news-gaze...acks-woman.html

If you move you are required to report your new address to the state to get your state ID card changed. And your FOID card. And your FCCL. That is part of existing law. You can't get past that short of some court or legislative action. I think you can get the fee waived for the state ID on the basis of homelessness, but not the FOID or FCCL address change fees.

This I know. There SHOULD be an option without a lawsuit... How could a homeless person with only one gun afford to sue?

On the other hand, how would they take my FOID/CCL if they could not find me at my address... There should be a way. Those with no income shouldn't lose a constitutional right. We need 50 state constitutional carry.

Archived