2010 Appleseeds!

Garand69

The 2010 Appleseed Schedule is coming together quite nicely and 2010 is on track for another banner year!

I would like to thank Illinois Carry for providing a great place to post Appleseed Info. It was great meeting many of you fine folks at Appleseed Shoots in 2009 and I look forward to meeting many more of you in 2010.

While most of you know that Appleseed uses reduced targets at 25M for the majority of it's instruction, many of you may not know that Appleseed started with a full distance/long distance portion within an Appleseed Shoot. With the initial rush to find suitable ranges in order to double our shoots every year, many places had to eliminate the portion to make it work.

Well I am happy to say, that is no longer the case here in Illinois! We are doing everything possible to add distance to the Program in as many locations as possible. At some ranges, that may only be 100 yards, but I am extremely pleased to announce, that the first shoot of the year in Illinois has a 600yd range available to those attendees that qualify!!! Aurora Sportsman's Club in Waterman IL will be our first Appleseed in IL with a long range portion. I hope to see you there.

Jan 16-18

Ottawa, IL. 3-Day IBC (Pappy's)

a National Record Setting Event with 50 in Attendance!!

March 6-7

Waterman, IL Get The Rust Out Shoot! +40 Shooters- 2 Rifleman!!

April 17-18

Alton, IL

Waterman, IL

Bonfield, IL

Durand, IL

May 1-2

May 15-16

Ottawa, IL

Durand, IL

May 29-30

Chillicothe IL

June 5-6

Waterman, IL

Bloomington, IL

June 12-13

Ottawa, IL

June 19-20

Bonfield, IL (ADA Friendly Shoot!!!)

July 10-11

Ottawa, IL

Carmi, IL

July 24-25

Danville, IL

Durand, IL

July 31-Aug 1

Waterman, IL

August 21-22

Ottawa, IL

Sparta, IL

September 4-5

Chillicothe, IL only

September 11-12

Waterman IL, Record Attempt!! 300 Shooter Line!!!

September 25-26

Ottawa, IL

Durand, IL

October 2-3

Waterman, IL

October 9-10

Bonfield, IL

October 23-24

Ottawa, IL

November 6-7

Waterman, IL

November 20-21

Bonfield, IL

Here is a link to the full schedule, check back often, we will be adding several more shoots as we go through 2010!!

2010 National Appleseed Schedule

Thanks again

Dan Hendrickson

RWVA Appleseed Project

IL State Coordinator

• 2 weeks later...

Sling Samples

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=213015

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=1413174603

Here are a couple of examples of cotton web slings with buckles that are demonstrated at Appleseed.

You will want to get sling swivels that match your rifle. For 20" ARs I recommend getting a sling stud that attaches to the holes in the plastic handguard or if you have rails, get a mount that holds a sling stud. Finish with a quick release swivel that fits the stud. The reason for this is that the sling point at the gas block tends to be a long way away and for some people this ends up with sling length issues.

Example of handguard swivel stud for ARs.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13797/Product/AR_15_QUICK_RELEASE_SLING_SWIVELS

Finally, make sure you can get a good cheek weld with whatever irons/optics you are using. And make sure your rifle is reliable.

Another great source for Slings Boog is the Appleseed Store. They have new USGI Garand Slings for a reasonable price.

Appleseed Store

Which shoot are you and you Son planning on attending?

we are going to kenny's in April, both days and i ordered 2 slings from usarmory for $14.95 each. we are also trying to get out for a little practice before then. hopefully in March if the weather breaks for a few days

boog

Is there any objection to me using my .50 BMG for the appleseed? I think it may help my score!! :whistle:

Ya, but at $3+ / round, it'll sure hurt your wallet!

But it would be worth it to get the rifleman patch!! :whistle:

A little bit more work on your form and I think we can get you a rifleman patch without resorting to .5" holes!

Is there any objection to me using my .50 BMG for the appleseed? I think it may help my score!! :whistle:

A little bit more work on your form and I think we can get you a rifleman patch without resorting to .5" holes!

I am going to use the SCAR I think!! & use good ammo this time I used that crap I had before. I will use my 62 gr reloads that I made!!

I am going to use the SCAR I think!! & use good ammo this time I used that crap I had before. I will use my 62 gr reloads that I made!!

Since I am new to appleseed, what do you have to shoot to get a rifleman patch

boog

I'd predict a flinch developing if you tried to shoot for score with the BMG.

John

I get a purple shoulder from shooting my AR could you imagine what it would look like if I shot the whole seed with a 50? OUCH!!! it hurts thinking about it

I plan to attend this year and if I do it early I'll have the knowledge sooner better than later.

I have a very reliable .22lr Remington 597 (red haired stepchild) but it has NO iron sights at all. Is it acceptable to take the course with a scope only?

I'm considering the Waterman facility but the area hotels don't sound so good according to the Google reviews, any suggestions???

Thanks!

I plan to attend this year and if I do it early I'll have the knowledge sooner better than later.

I have a very reliable .22lr Remington 597 (red haired stepchild) but it has NO iron sights at all. Is it acceptable to take the course with a scope only?

I'm considering the Waterman facility but the area hotels don't sound so good according to the Google reviews, any suggestions???

Thanks!

Do the one in Durand & bring a tent & beer!!!

I might just do that Kenny because I so appreciate your "other" Durand shoots! I would just like a crack at that 600 yard range at Waterman!

You think scope only is OK? I bought an AR-15 simply to go to one Zombie shoot and now I've caught full blown add-on fever, no way I'm going through that with a Ruger 10/22 when I have a great running Remy in hand!

I might just do that Kenny because I so appreciate your "other" Durand shoots! I would just like a crack at that 600 yard range at Waterman!

You think scope only is OK? I bought an AR-15 simply to go to one Zombie shoot and now I've caught full blown add-on fever, no way I'm going through that with a Ruger 10/22 when I have a great running Remy in hand!

Scope is fine when people are done for the day we may be able to set up a 600 or 1000 yd range for fun I wanna shoot the 50 anyways!!

Thanks!

That's what I plan on doing, especially since half my camping gear is already there.

Thanks!

That's what I plan on doing, especially since half my camping gear is already there.

Maybe the mice were pretty bad this winter in the shed I am afraid to see what it looks like.

There is the Shabbonna state park just a couple miles away. I have been meaning to check out the facility myself.

Eventually Waterman will have camping with RV hookups, but that doesn't help you right now :clap:

Not much of a camper but it sounds like a great "camaraderie" opportunity! I see by the photo it isn't just for .22's, maybe I'll bring my .308 out for day two???

If you have a .22 rifle. Bring it. Use it. Learn. .22LR is your best friend when it comes to learning.

Bring the .308. There will be opportunities this year to shoot at 100 yards and up (depending on the various ranges) for those who want to try out what they learned at 25 yards. Targets will be reduced size at 100 yards to simulate 400 yard shooting..etc...

Start slow, learn to walk before you run. Everything you learn at the 25yard line will translate over to the 100+ yard line. There is just a bit more information (read math) that will be taught for full distance events.

BTW: The photo shows Appleseeders zeroing their rifles before moving over to the 200 yard line to ring steel. Gotta learn your come-ups!

Archived