Emanuel to push for state-wide handgun registry

soundguy

From public radio WBEZ:

Alex Keefe | Feb. 09, 2012

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants lawmakers to require that all handguns in Illinois be registered with the state, or gun owners could face felony charges.

A statewide gun registry is key in helping solve Chicago crimes that involve handguns from outside the city, and would also help crack down on gun trafficking, Emanuel is expected to argue Thursday.

Under Emanuel's proposal, handgun owners would have to pay $65 for a registration certificate from the state, which would function much like the title to a car. Illinois law currently requires that gun owners and shooters have a firearm owners identification card, which works like a drivers license. But the guns themselves are not registered at the state level.

Emanuel is set to lay out his plan Thursday at a center for at-risk youth on Chicago's South Side, according to administration sources.

The handgun registration certificate would include information about the owner, the make and model of the gun, as well as where and when the firearm was bought. Registration applicants would also need a valid firearm owners identification card.

More...

Once again, Chicago thinks it's the king of Illinois. Push for handgun registry in Chicago....oh wait they already have that so why not leave the rest of the state out of Chicago's affairs. Of course he wants to lay out his plan in the crime ridden South Side of Chicago to get support from people who will believe him.

I swear, it never ends.

Wow, $65 times how many guns in Illinois, plus a $25 renewal fee every five years. That sure would buy a lot of cameras. Since becoming leader of the Chicago mob, Emanuel has proven himself to be every bit as bad as his predecessor. Since it's unlikely he will ever be indicted, Illinois will have to suffer him for many more years.

Interesting, a rash of news stories about the dangers of private gun sales and online gun sites, Bloomberg running his yap about unregulated gun sales and going after the Mormons for their classified sale site and now this. Its almost as if the media and gun hating politicians sat down and coordinated an attack on lawfull gun owners to distract from the ATF s shennanigans and their complete inability to combat actual criminals with the estimated 40 to 50 thousand gun laws already on the books in this country. Nah.....couldn't be. I must be one of those paranoid gun owners they keep talking about.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Hold the phone!

They can already find out where the guns in crimes come from without registration...

But Emanuel will now push for a statewide handgun registry because the majority of guns recovered at crime scenes in Chicago - about 56 percent - come from outside city limits, but within the state, according to data from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that were provided by the Emanuel administration.

And this is what the proposed registration does?

The handgun registration certificate would include information about the owner, the make and model of the gun, as well as where and when the firearm was bought. Registration applicants would also need a valid firearm owners identification card.

Owners and dealers would be required to notify Illinois State Police whenever a handgun changes hands. The registration certificate would last for five years, and cost $25 to renew.

Handgun owners would also have to tell the state if their gun gets lost or stolen, or they could face misdemeanor charges, according to the mayor's proposal. People caught in possession of an unregistered gun would be slapped with a felony.

Don't see how this proposed registration does anything but put more financial hardship onto gun owners from outside Chicago. Oh wait! It creates lists of who owns what that can be stolen by identity thieves and sold to criminals who can steal them and sell them illegally to criminals in Chicago. Thus, the state gets more of our money and crime goes up in Chicago and the Antis can use that to justify future bans. Then Emmanuel can claim that he increased state funding without raising taxes and can tell Brady and Bloomberg types that he made it financially harder for law-abiding folks to legally own handguns. Sounds like he's running for governor.

There is no end of the ignorant ideas that the ruling party comes up with in Illinois. They are trying to stop the gun violence in their rhelm by tightening the thumb screws on every legal gun owner in illinois. I do not see how or why the gang bangers, the real rulers of Chicago, would rush right out and and register their guns. Why does da mayor think this will help? They have the toughest gun laws in the country, yet the highest gun violence.

Now for a novel idea, Let the ordinary legal gun owners carry guns in Chicago. First of all it would put the bad guys and gun owners on the same field. Every citizen would not be an easy pick, and Chicago would lose some of its criminals permenently. How many times does a gun law intended for gun control cause more problems for the legal gun owner than the intended person, the criminal? Gun Control will never happen in Illinois. The criminal does not care what laws they come up with, they do not follow the laws. The Law abiding citizens are the ones that any gun control law effects.

I live in Extreme Southern illinois. I have owned guns all my entire adult life. I have always held a FOID card, always followed the laws of gun ownership and I have my first time to use any of my guns illegally. LEAVE ME ALONE.

I'm tried of this stuff. every week it's another great idea from the Chicago machine. Be it gun rights or any issue that comes up, They think the rest of the state should answer the wishes of the machine. I'm done. To heck with it all. you guys can fight it, but it will never stop.I refuse to be a victim to the parasites any longer

SO :

FOR SALE

2 BEDROOM HOME IN SENIC SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

in the heart of the Shawnee Natinal Forest

less than a mile from the marina on the Ohio river in Smithland Pool

I'm leaving , Kentucky needs a new taxpayer.

As always, let's not let the slew of anti-rights and anti-gun legislation adversely affect the effort we put into fighting for right to carry. But seeing as I'm sure we can all spend the time needed to both fight negative legislation as well as support the positive ones....

And it's my opinion that this would be among the absolute worst legislative moves the antis could do. And if/when such legislation is written and introduced, we need to melt their phone lines as much as we did for 148, if not more!

To me it would also seem he would want $65 per handgun if it's like a title to a car. For most, that would be an expensive ordeal. You know, they want to compare the FOIDs and guns to cars yet driving is privilege unlike owning firearms.

When it comes down to it, he wants to propose more crime, make Illinois citizens have less money then they do now, make gun owners who will DEFIANTLY not be informed of this instant felons and drive people and businesses out of state.

Firstly, $65.00 per handgun is nuts.

For a glock or XDM type gun that can exceed 10% of the total purchase price.

For a LC9 type gun that can exceed 20% of the purchase price.

IF this "registration" ever expires (I am sure it will, for revenue reasons) you basically have a 10-20% tax and most handguns per the registration period(probably every year?). Thats almost as bad as a car, which costs many many times more than a gun. Basically that would discourage gun ownership because even sitting in a safe they will cost you serious money every year in "upkeep".

Next, as we all know should they ever ban handguns in Illinois how will they every collect them all from law abiding citizens. They can probably get some recent purchasers but the records for those who moved with them or had them for a long time are probably lost. You CAN'T go "raiding" every FOID holders house, that would cause a big issue. This way THEY know who has a handgun and where they live when it is time for the gun grab, in theory causing less of a fuss.

This is a bad bad bad idea for for Illinois to go down this path, I am going to call everyone I know how to call tonight when I get home from work about this.

Seems to me, the Contstition grants us the right to vote. The 24th ammendment prohibits a "tax" on the right to vote.

That same Constitution, through the 2A, grants us the right to keep and bear arms. Shouldn't the same 24th ammendment prohibit a "tax" on that right as well?

Too much logic for them to understand.

I too believe this is just a sidetrack of the inevitable RTC coming.

Seems to me, the Contstition grants us the right to vote. The 24th ammendment prohibits a "tax" on the right to vote.

That same Constitution, through the 2A, grants us the right to keep and bear arms. Shouldn't the same 24th ammendment prohibit a "tax" on that right as well?

Too much logic for them to understand.

I too believe this is just a sidetrack of the inevitable RTC coming.

Registration fee's etc have sadly stood up to legal challenge in other states, read the Washington Times blog about Emily getting her gun for a nightmare scenario. $500.00 in fees and months of going through the process for ONE handgun.

Archived