Teacher willing to speak with Chicago Tribune?

Molly B.

And you wouldn't even need every school to have someone armed. It would be helpful, but its like CC. They don't know which schools have armed teachers and which ones don't.

It's not going to be secret. The kids are going to know.

You cannot keep something secret from someone who sees you every day and watches you in the minutest detail every day, unless they have a learning disability (and probably not even then).

The kids are going to know, and not all of them are going to keep it to themselves.

I'm not saying that's a good thing. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying it's a thing.

If you rely on secrecy for a solution to succeed, then the solution is going to fail.

Secrecy helps in general for concealed carry, because an attacker is usually not someone who's had an opportunity to observe his victim in the same amount of detail that kids watch their parents and teachers.

I'm also not saying that any armed solution for schools is doomed to fail.

I'm just saying that a successful solution cannot rely on secrecy for its success.

I'll stop there. This thread is supposed to be about soliciting the participation of a teacher for an interview.

I carry every day. I might, just might have "accidentally" carried where I should not have, and where I have been under fairly intensive observation by certain people who will undoubtedly react if they believed someone in the environment was armed. Yet no reaction occurred. That is because carrying concealed is relatively easy to do in such a manner that no one suspects you are carrying. The guy carrying a Glock 17 in a paddle holster with a shirt that is far too tight for him to wear may not meet this criteria, but an awful lot of us actually do an excellent job in carrying in a concealed manner. I have no idea, really, of why you are so sure that the students would know that a particular teacher was carrying.

I carry every day. I might, just might have "accidentally" carried where I should not have, and where I have been under fairly intensive observation by certain people who will undoubtedly react if they believed someone in the environment was armed. Yet no reaction occurred....

It's about daily observation. For the 2 minutes you were in the post office, library, fire station, or wherever, you didn't give yourself away. That's what carrying concealed is supposed to be.

I have no idea, really, of why you are so sure that the students would know that a particular teacher was carrying.

Because it's still about daily observation, all day long, for days on end. Will the kids figure it out the first day? Maybe not, although I still think you're underestimating them. How about after a month or a year? It's going to happen, and once it's out, it's out. Just take the inevitable lack of secrecy into account for whatever solution is implemented.

Archived