FOID and CCL - do you carry both?

DarkLord

the law does not require you to carry both, and in point of fact, it is pointless to do so.

They have the same number on them, the cops can look you up instantly, and in fact, when they pull you over and run your name they see instantly that you have what you have.

Aside from all that, the statute itself says you don't have to carry both.

And aside from all that, other than when buying things, I have NEVER been asked for a FOID/CCW, likely because of what I put in sentence #2.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to much junk in my wallet as is, to want to carry more

Carry both. Different wallets. FOID used for transactions. CCL reserved for LEO if they ask, for others it’s none of their business. Only way I’ll use CCL for transactions is if they pass a law making it bypass waiting times, etc.

+1

the law does not require you to carry both, and in point of fact, it is pointless to do so.

I carry both, always have.

Some places want to see a FOID and the CCL just won't do.

Sometimes ya just don't want to show the CCL, but you must have it to carry.

I also carry a Utah Permit and my passport card. Ya never know.

Only carry the FOID IF I'm planning on purchasing a firearm. The FOID card number is still too old to match my LTC number, and all I hear from FFL's is they can't do the IL BGC with LTC numbers, the system is only rigged up for FOID numbers. I didn't automatically get an updated FOID when I got the LTC. Some people do, but I haven't.

Aside from that, the FOID stays in the desk.

I carry both. ALL of the ranges I go to require a FOID or CCL to be held while I am in the range. So, I give my FOID. If I had to lose one, it's that.

That said. I do know when I am going to the range. No biggie to just add it then.

I agree about the range requirement, also it’s nobodies business if I have a CCL.

Many topics here over the years about having the ability to “CONCEAL” carry in Illinois.

And along with those are the posts about not having others know if you are carrying or not.

I mean it’s really no ones business right? So says even more posts.

And yet, there are those who want to show the CCL card when ever possible so the average strange retail clerk or what ever store you may frequent to know you are a gun carrying person.

So in closing, I carry both and use the FOID for everything up to being asked by a Leo to show the card.

Yes I know they can check the computer, but they can and have asked!

Carry On and Carry Safe

So in closing, I carry both and use the FOID for everything up to being asked by a Leo to show the card.

I agree with the clown!

I carry it and my ccl, because if you hand some the ccl they will refuse, and they won't care what your explanation is and they won't spend the time bothering to look it up

This

sometimes I carry an automatic knife which requires a FOID. It's unclear whether the CCL covers that.

FCCL is only firearms as I understand it. IANAL. The knife act does not reference the need to carry the FOID although I suppose it might depend on the definition of possesses, although one law specifically mentions "physical possession"

...(2) The provision of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Section prohibiting the sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, does not apply to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives....

I now feel like a knucklehead. At my CCL renewal class, I was told I still had to carry both if I was carrying a firearm.

Trust...but verify. Do your research. Unfortunately All instructors are not created equal.

(c-5) The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a) of this Section regarding the possession of firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to the holder of a valid concealed carry license issued under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act who is in physical possession of the concealed carry license...

I now feel like a knucklehead. At my CCL renewal class, I was told I still had to carry both if I was carrying a firearm.

Why should you have to have the FOID on you to carry? Sounds like the instructor didn't know what he was talking about. Any instructor here agree with that instructor?

I just carry my CCL. If my wallet was lost or stolen I could use my FOID when transporting to the range or to buy a gun or ammo while I waited for a replacement CCL, not sure how long that takes right now.

I could also keep an unloaded handgun in my car in the console of the car with a loaded magazine and have it available.

My FOID has been safely tucked way since I received my CCL. Never had a problem making purchases with it and I couldn’t care less who knows I have a carry license. Dunno why people get their panties in a twist over that.

I’m not taking the chance is losing both cards and being unable to purchase or even transport.

Archived