ISP Updates FOID/CCL Software to COVID-19 Rules

Molly B.

A software release was successfully implemented yesterday evening.

Most notably for those of you who are FFLs, it addressed FTIP rejections in spite of FOID renewals submitted once 60+ days beyond ex date. It was tested last night and it worked, Please know that those wishing to RENEW their CCL can now do so without a training cert as allowed by the COVID-19 emergency rules. Applicants no longer see their expiration dates on their dashboard, Instead, they see COVID-19 in place of the expiration date.

Here is an example of the system alert that greets customers when they sign in to their dashboard:

COVID 19 Emergency Rules Notice Firearms Owners Identification (FOID) card holders and Concealed Carry License (CCL) holders, who submit their renewal application will remain valid during the duration of the state's disaster proclamation and for a period of 12 months following the termination of the disaster, even if their renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration. Renewal CCL holders will need to submit proof of their three-hour renewal training within 12 months following the termination of the state's disaster proclamation in order to maintain the validity of their CCL. The Illinois State Police will continue to enforce both FOID card and CCL prohibitors. FOID card holders who receive revocation notices shall return their FOID and Firearm Disposition Record form to the Illinois State Police. CCL holders who receive revocation notices shall return their CCL to the Illinois State Police.

The emergency rules are effective immediately; however, the requisite processes and programming to accurately reflect these rule changes are currently being completed. As a result, the system may not accurately reflect a FOID or CCL status until such changes are completed. The Illinois State Police encourages FOID card holders and CCL holders to print and retain a copy of their confirmation from their submitted renewal application as additional verification of compliance with the 430 ILCS 65/ Firearm Owners Identification Card Act and 430 ILCS 66/ Firearm Concealed Carry Act with consideration for the emergency rules.

Thank you for your patience as we work to have these changes made in as timely a manner as this emergency situation allows. If your expiration reads "COVID-19", it refers to the extension as the result of these emergency rules and your FOID or CCL should remain valid.

Edited to Add: Renewal Certificates cannot be uploaded a this time. When the EO is lifted and the 12-month calendar starts, option to submit certificates will resume.

Edited by Molly B.

Thanks for the update, Molly!

Does that mean, among other things, they're fixing the private transfer page incorrectly reporting "denied"?

...the requisite processes and programming to accurately reflect these rule changes are currently being completed.

So, at the current speed of government, sometime after Election Day?

Does that mean, among other things, they're fixing the private transfer page incorrectly reporting "denied"?

...the requisite processes and programming to accurately reflect these rule changes are currently being completed.

That's how I'd interpret "currently being completed."

Thanks for the update, Molly!

So, at the current speed of government, sometime after Election Day?

Ed, are you still denied/.?

Any reason why their number is disconnected? I've tried calling for my son and it says disconnected.

Still?

The system answered this afternoon...gave the message on reduced staff, etc.

Is there any update on implementing the new phone system? Have heard no updates on that $750k system that I thought was to be done this summer. Has Covid delayed that?

Edited by InterestedBystander

Any thoughts on the 12 month extension to submit the renewal for CCL and if it's a good to idea to wait to see when the "termination of the disaster" is declared instead of renewing your license sometime prior to expiry?

At this rate it could be years until his "5 Phase" plan allows him to declare "termination of the disaster".

Edited by SightSeer

Doesn't look like SB1966 has any impact to CCL, only FOID processing.

I'm just hesitant not to submit my renewal when I have completed my training and don't want to run into any renewal issues that could jeopardize my CCL. Otherwise waiting makes more sense.

You are right...CCL is not affected. I misread it. All the same, it is a shame that this state is so screwed up with its permission slip that we have to be afraid of having our CCL and other rights messed with over it.

• 2 weeks later...

As reading the above original post, those who renew BEFORE or AFTER the expiration dates will be covered for the time until the disaster is declared over. So renew now and get it in the pipe line, it didn’t say that they would not be issuing cards.

But it does say that you will have 12 months after the disaster to upload the cert which is what will then decide the validness of you card and such. You are not saving any money waiting until the disaster is over.

IMHO and IANAL but renew now and get it started, you have nothing to lose.

Besides who wouldn’t want that cool expiration date of Covid-19 on their cards? J/K

As reading the above original post, those who renew BEFORE or AFTER the expiration dates will be covered for the time until the disaster is declared over. So renew now and get it in the pipe line, it didn’t say that they would not be issuing cards.

But it does say that you will have 12 months after the disaster to upload the cert which is what will then decide the validness of you card and such. You are not saving any money waiting until the disaster is over.

IMHO and IANAL but renew now and get it started, you have nothing to lose.

Besides who wouldn’t want that cool expiration date of Covid-19 on their cards? J/K

I notice my FOID and CCL has expiration date of COVID-19 - When all this done and over everyones FOID and CCL will most likely expired when converting back to original expiration date. I can see this happening..

Renewal Certificates cannot be uploaded at this time. When the EO is lifted and the 12-month calendar starts, option to submit certificates will resume.

Great..... as part of my renewal service I take their picture and scan their certs and upload them to ISP. It makes no sense at all to take that option away.

WHY? Can this be fixed?

Renewal Certificates cannot be uploaded at this time. When the EO is lifted and the 12-month calendar starts, option to submit certificates will resume.

Great..... as part of my renewal service I take their picture and scan their certs and upload them to ISP. It makes no sense at all to take that option away.

WHY? Can this be fixed?

Unless the reason they did that is so they, can kick the can down the road, get caught up on the huge backlog of FOID and first time CCLs. By not processing the renewals, that would free up some resources, but sooner or later the get the balloon payment.

Edited by John Q Public

As a result of the COVID-19 rules are CCL renewals submitted PRIOR to the effective date of the new rules currently being processed? I submitted my renewal application in early February and my status has been frozen at QC Verified since May 6th.

WHY? Can this be fixed?

Unless the reason they did that is so they, can kick the can down the road, get caught up on the huge backlog of FOID and first time CCLs. By not processing the renewals, that would free up some resources, but sooner or later the get the balloon payment.

It's because it is the easiest way to "deal" with it. Screw due process, some people are having trouble finding renewal classes. Rather than help people like me that has bent over backwards to comply with the COVID-19 rules and keep classes going, just shut the submission portal down. Typical Illinois solution. Molly who in the H**L do you have a phone # to that I can call. As one of the very first instructors approved, the ISP sent me an email asking if I helped my students file because of the original confusion. Since then I have let it be known that I help file as part of my service. Now this crap.

Edited by NRApistol

Did you somehow thing I was pro this? I don't like to be included in a quote with a rant like I endorse an action, or the assumption that I do because you are peeved. BTW I'm, one of the first 40 instructors in the state, not that that matters...........

No I did not I thought I was adding to your comment. Sorry, I'm was quick to include ol' John Q Public, everyone has thin skin these days. Never the less: It pisses me off that a programmer is too lazy to add an option.

J Q, I do a LOT of senior citizens that have trouble on the net. I'm seeing 2 day trips for my people, first for the class because they are worried about their licenses expiring and a second for me to upload their cert (when who knows that will be) kinda like the PITA buying a gun.

The only solution I see at this time is for you to scan the signed certificate and keep the file on hold until the window opens to upload, then log into their account and upload the certificate . . .