Illinois General Assembly 1/3/2013

mauserme

Stupid question, what is a witness slip? I read several post where it was suggested it be filled out, but I don't know what it is. I see the link to it and going to try to read up on it on that site.

Its an opportunity to put your opposition to the bills on the record. Not quite casting a vote against, but similar.

Thank you! I filled mine out.

My letter to Sen. Iris Martinez, in case anyone needs a template. (As an aside, it's feels just wrong having to beg someone not to take away my rights.)

Dear Senator Martinez,

I've been informed that Senate President Cullerton is attempting to pass two bills -- HB 1263 and HB 815 -- during the Senate's lame-duck session today, January 3, 2013.

As a safe and conscientious gun owner, I ask you to please oppose any legislation that further restricts the rights of law-abiding gun owners. The recent Supreme Court decisions (Heller and McDonald) have established that the Second Amendment is an individual right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. With crime in Chicago at an all time high, law-abiding citizens (those who have already undergone background checks as part of the FOID process) should be allowed to possess semi-automatic firearms for self-defense. Indeed, it is their constitutional right.

As such, I respectfully request that you oppose these two bills.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

------------------------------

Chicago, Illinois

Amended with my addition re: Magazine Size limitation.

Secondly, legislative attacks on the possession of standard capacity magazines, those holding 30 or fewer cartridges, would immediately be challenged in the court system via United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174, which states that, "The significance attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." As these magazines are standard issue for our own military forces, they are not subject to the sort of legislative action you are preparing. With the ongoing budget deficit in Illinois, it would be prudent practice to avoid this legislative defensive cost.

I sent a version of this email to various Senators and reps today:

"I am writing to register my strong opposition to SB815 and SB1263. The attempt to hurriedly ram through these massively controversial and unconstitutional bills in lame duck session is despicable.

You are trampling on the rights of millions of law abiding gun owners and thumbing your nose at the US Supreme Court and the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, and, even worse, your legislation will have no impact on the crime you pretend to want to address.

Illinois has massive problems, caused mainly through the incompetence and lack of courage of the ILGA and its members. The state is losing tens of thousands of its most productive citizens every year to other states that make themselves more attractive for business and individual liberty. The ILGA should be working to stop and reverse the exodus, not rushing through ideological legislation that only makes the state less attractive to its residents.

I urge you to pull your bill, vote NO on SB1263 and start working to address the real problems that are tanking this state."

Archived